View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
 Starters Orders 7 Feature Request/Ideas 
Handicapper

Post Re: Starters Orders 7 Feature Request/Ideas
I would like it to be three different gameplay modes.

1: Like the one we have now with the trainer/owner game.

2: A pure trainer game where you either set up your own stable and start from the bottom or take over one of the big or medium stables with the increased funding and pressure that comes with that. You are dependent on owners sending horses to you and you earn money by percentages of racing income and stable fees. You can interact with your owners regarding breeding and you can use your own money to buy horses, but you are running a business so money could be tight. It is a way to avoid the usual scanrios where some seasons out in the game money becomes no problem. I like rags to riches scenarios so this could be an opportunity for that. Owners can remove horses from you if they think you are not doing well, or more owners can give you horses if your reputation is increasing.
This should come with a better and more different ways to train horses, but it will also depend on race management and choosing of jockeys. It could be compared like taking over a football club at different levels.

3: Pure owner game. You start with a kitty depending on difficulty. Buy and sell horses. Try to get the best trainers to train them. Maybe having luck getting one of your mares to breed with a good stallion. You can spread your horses with different trainers. A game for those who like to buy, sell and breed. You earn money buy selling horses and prize money. maybe stud fees. Expenses are stable fees, buying horses etc.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:56 am
Handicapper

Some good ideas there, Taunton.

Personally I'd like to see just the one game and that would be a Trainer & Owner game. Some of the horses you own and then you can receive requests to train horses for other owners (if you get start getting decent results with your modest string that is!) I would get rid of or limit the amount of money you can make from betting so income from training for other owners would come as a much needed boost to your finances!

The game would be much more enjoyable if betting was removed from it or at the very least, you're severely limited in how much you can make from it each season. I don't like knowing that I can cheat my way to millions and then buy up all the good horses and I'd personally enjoy the game so much more if this option wasn't available and I could only get to the top and train the best horse by actually working at it and playing the game over a long period of time (much like real life)
You could suggest that I don't cheat, which I actually don't. But just knowing that you can do so ruins the enjoyment of the game for me.

I would also start playing the online league if betting wasn't part of the main game or you couldn't make too much money at it.

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Quote:
I would also start playing the online league if betting wasn't part of the main game or you couldn't make too much money at it.

Can you explain this more - I am not sure I understand what you are saying?

Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:59 am
Handicapper

Quote:
Quote:

I don't have time to buy up all the good horses and start an extensive breeding program which seems the requirement to compete in the league. It would be nice if there was a more level playing field so newbies who are good at the main game (with no cheating at the betting) could start up a stable and compete.

No betting = Everyone starts from the same base.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:25 pm
Group 1 winner

I select the easy setting which gives me 5 horses to start. If there are no keepers in the lot I sell all 5 horses. I usually get between 2 and 5 million for my horses. Enough to buy a group potential horse at auction which, if it isn't a superstar that I want to keep forever, I will sell that horse for millions if it manages a Group placing. You have to skip the day of the auction to get millions for your horses. If you watch the auction, chances are your horses will sell for peanuts because you can't keep raising the bid because you alas have no money to bid with.

Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:42 pm
Group 1 winner

savio1978 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't have time to buy up all the good horses and start an extensive breeding program which seems the requirement to compete in the league. It would be nice if there was a more level playing field so newbies who are good at the main game (with no cheating at the betting) could start up a stable and compete.

As Sirius mentions - breeding and selling your foals is the quickest and sure fire way to raise the cash to get going. Also starting on easy doesn't mean the horses or racing is easy - it's all the same - easy just means you start with more horses in your stable.

For the league you have two options only.
Option one - read Jango or Wannabe's breeding guide and follow their instruction - you will eventually breed some beasts but you do need to dedicate some time. This is how you can win Group 1 races.
Option two - play the stock game and just work towards breeding to get a full or near full Potential Bar and Extra Speed Bar. This way you can win races rated from 60 to 100. If you do this - be prepared to play in the league for fun and to compete amongst like minded trainers. If you are competitive and want to win Group races you need to refer to Option one.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:02 am
Selling plater

Good to see novice races and penalties being introduced in SO7 adding to the realism of the schedule.

The biggest issue I have with the game as it stands is how volatile the OR's can be. I like to have a mix of horses in my yard, obviously great to have potential greats but I also like having to work the hcp system down through the grades.

The problem I keep running into is getting poor horses competitive only for them to win 1 race by a couple of lengths and they are going up 10-12lbs which just isn't realistic and it's very frustrating. The double whammy is not being able to run them under penalties turned out quickly again with 6lb extra.

I just find it very hard to run up decent sequences with horses I have got to decent marks in hcps. You don't see horses scraping home going up 1-3lb often either as would be the case in the poor grades.

Class 7 hcps need to be banded properly too and be around 0-50 type standard, perhaps 55 top whack.

This is probably asking a lot but getting this handicapping e realistic would really enhance this excellent game for me.

Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:08 pm
Handicapper

I would like to see the ability to allocate certain trainers a certain number of horses, for the benefit of realism. I would also like the ability to give a certain trainer more than one set of silks. Not sure how complicated those two things would be, but just two things that crossed my mind whilst modding earlier.

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 pm
Handicapper

More automation within Manual Training mode.

I've started playing Manual Training mode. It's more realistic in terms of horse fitness levels and how they handle their racing throughout a season, and it offers a new challenge for those of us who have sunk 100s of hours into the game, but it's a bit of a headache when trying to keep up with horses' training schedules (i.e. when to move them to Heavy training, when to move them to Light training etc.). I propose that we should be able to plan their training schedule at the start of the year, and then the game changes the training levels accordingly to save us having to do daily grind of it, as it were. For example, I've got a 3yo who's early season target is the London Gold Cup, so I've created an Excel spreadsheet for my own sanity to keep up with how I'm planning on building him up to that race. I know that 2 days before the race he should be on Medium training, and the 13 days before that Heavy training, the 13 days before that Medium training, and before that Light training. If I could put plan that in at the start of the season and let the game alter his training workload according to my instructions, that would be a HUGE life-saver for me!

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:10 pm
Handicapper

Thanks for your helpful advice Sirius & NPG.

If you receive between 2M-5M for your starter horses? This would suggest to me you've been give regally bred flat horses or full brothers/sisters to Cheltenham Festival winners or horses showing immense potential in P2P's.
Again, this is completely unrealistic for a new trainer just starting out to have such quality horses in his/her stable.
Personally I'm looking for total realism from the game. Mark's improvements in the breeding side and having to automate a full season should, I hope, address this flaw in the game. (SO7 is looking outstanding!)
I would suggest your starter horses should be made up of one horse worth 100k (if your lucky) sired by G2/G3 winning stallion. With the rest made up of 5K to 75K priced horses. Also why is there even an easy setting?

That just leaves the betting side of the game and I know I'm in danger of sounding like a broken record on this, but its completely unrealistic in it current format. Bookmakers will & DO restrict your bets if you take too much off them, on the exchanges you have premium charge, and in the ring your bet can be knocked back to a fraction of what you want to get on. There really should be a limit on how much you can make on betting each season.
Betting in SO6 enables you to fast track your way to training the best horses, making all the stable improvements and getting a breeding program up and running all within one season! Training better quality horses, making improvements to your stable facilitates and starting a breeding program should only be achieved over long period of time as they do in real horse racing.

Also I have another suggestion. How about being able to "tap up" owners. For example, you see an underachieving horse from another stable and you can put in a request to train said animal. What fun it would be with the ensuing fall out of making such a request with regards to relations with your fellow trainer. Maybe you receive an email with a few choice words from the disgruntled trainer? :D

Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm
Group 1 winner

savio1978 wrote:
Thanks for your helpful advice Sirius & NPG.

If you receive between 2M-5M for your starter horses? This would suggest to me you've been give regally bred flat horses or full brothers/sisters to Cheltenham Festival winners or horses showing immense potential in P2P's.
Again, this is completely unrealistic for a new trainer just starting out to have such quality horses in his/her stable.
Personally I'm looking for total realism from the game. Mark's improvements in the breeding side and having to automate a full season should, I hope, address this flaw in the game. (SO7 is looking outstanding!)
I would suggest your starter horses should be made up of one horse worth 100k (if your lucky) sired by G2/G3 winning stallion. With the rest made up of 5K to 75K priced horses. Also why is there even an easy setting?

That just leaves the betting side of the game and I know I'm in danger of sounding like a broken record on this, but its completely unrealistic in it current format. Bookmakers will & DO restrict your bets if you take too much off them, on the exchanges you have premium charge, and in the ring your bet can be knocked back to a fraction of what you want to get on. There really should be a limit on how much you can make on betting each season.
Betting in SO6 enables you to fast track your way to training the best horses, making all the stable improvements and getting a breeding program up and running all within one season! Training better quality horses, making improvements to your stable facilitates and starting a breeding program should only be achieved over long period of time as they do in real horse racing.

Also I have another suggestion. How about being able to "tap up" owners. For example, you see an underachieving horse from another stable and you can put in a request to train said animal. What fun it would be with the ensuing fall out of making such a request with regards to relations with your fellow trainer. Maybe you receive an email with a few choice words from the disgruntled trainer? :D

It took me quite a few attempts before i got the game which i am still playing, up and running (108 seasons so far) I did it solely from prizemoney and punting. I did this for 40 or more seasons before it twigged that i should start breeding. From my experience I would have got my stable up and running much faster if I had started a breeding program as soon as i bought my barn. Betting becomes much more predictable once you get consistant Group 1 winners in your stable - before then it can be hit and miss and a quick way to blow your bank before you get a barn up and running. So what I am saying is that breeding is your best bet to get things started and not on the punt.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:45 pm
Handicapper

It's probably just as well we can fast track our way to the top on SO6 Savio, because the damn game barely even lets you save after 30 years lol

Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:33 pm
Handicapper

I hear you Nath. But it sounds like a long running game on SO7 will be just fine with regards to stability seeing as a lot of the old code is being stripped away/rewritten. Well, thats the dream anyway.

NPG surely you must be aware of how to make an infinite amount of money via betting? It involves, a pen, a notebook and not saving the current game you're playing. I'd imagine at least 90% of people playing in the league have done this, if you haven't you're at a massive disadvantage. I would like to play in the league but I don't want to cheat in the main game via the betting. This leaves me at a massive disadvantage and its pointless for me to play in the league. I agree with you that breeding is the way forward but you should have to earn the money to start a breeding program via prize money, training fees and sponsorship and not via punting.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:00 pm
Handicapper

Haha, i've done that Savio, for sure!! Although I started putting highly rated horses into sellers in the end, made them non-triers and lumped on the next best horse in the race pmsl. I actually received fines for non trying :lol: :lol: Shrewd

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:54 pm
Handicapper

PS, another suggestion for you Mark, a "go on holiday" option, like they have on football manager. If we ever want a skip a season, that would be great because sitting here clicking for the next day 360 times isn't any fun... You could even make it so that an assistant takes over entering horses during your spell away.

Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next