View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 League Trials Races 
Handicapper

Post Re: League Trials Races
Githyanki wrote:
One question thunder if I may, are you making multiple copies of the same horses with the stats you want to increase your percentages of passing that trait down your lines? I messed about with this myself, and it was how i got extra speed into a wider range of distances, but it is pretty dull to do and I gave up on it after a few seasons. I do tend to copy those horses that set a new bar into each of my games, but like to mix it up now to avoid the issue with having the same parentage on my best horses, I also tend to set my barns with a ten to one ratio colts to fillies to further break away from this. Dilutes the stats more than I would like but makes it less of a chore.

No I don't make mutliple copies of horses. It's not necessary but I guess it would work.

I usually send 2 emails to the people who request some explation.

The first email explains why sometimes breeding your best horses is not always the best way. Most of the time it will work. But eventually they will no longer improve. The horse's stats will actually capped out and you wont see any progress anymore.

The 2nd email is the actual step by step way of improving it in detail. This is the tedious part of the process.

If you leave your email or you can email me and I can send the first part which should explain some things. It might give you some ideas that you can incorporate into your breeding. The explanation should be enough and you can breed your own way since not everyone would want to do it the way I do it.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 5:52 pm
Group 1 winner

The DocHay post from a few years ago that riled most people's feathers...

http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10360&hilit=frank+caviar

My problem with the post was the way he dropped it on us. If hacking is a fun hobby to Doc more power to him. His obnoxious dropping of his hacking revelations was off putting to me. BUT he did give insight into what makes a great horse. The stats on Frank Caviar I think tell a lot.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:10 pm
Group 1 winner

Have experienced and started to address the situation where every generation starts to look the same, I tend to assume it is the result of the parents also being pretty much the same and as your not actually introducing anything new why would they look different. The going backwards bit to more forward has been often discussed here. My current crop of 2yo feature some 2nd generation horses from a revised approach so we shall see in the last trial.

Additionally whilst I appreciate the offer of direct help, I think I would rather puzzle it out myself, I also take the view that you cannot actually know with certainty, unless you're looking at the code, so your method is merely the result of applied learning, it is more fun for me to take that path myself, even if it takes a few league seasons to do. I am also acutely aware of how limited my time is for this now due to life commitments, and so what I think your approach might be, is outside my capacity for this game anyway. And the base elements, good stock, time and a sprinkling of luck are likely the same for all.

Course not saying I won't try and pick your brain every now and again :)

Josh

Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:00 am
Group 1 winner

And thanks for the history sirus, can understand why that would have gotten under people's skin, there are always those who need to cheat to win, speaks more to their own failings and insecurities, in my opinion, than it does there talent or ability. I hope this is a chapter in league history that has been put to rest.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:18 am
Group 1 winner

Hey Gray - I downloaded your Pontypool track but there is no course specs with it. Can you post them here please?

By specs I mean the data that goes in the _courses file.

Fri Aug 26, 2016 3:22 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Hey Gray - I downloaded your Pontypool track but there is no course specs with it. Can you post them here please?

By specs I mean the data that goes in the _courses file.

Pontypool
FieldLimit:20
RH280
GMU,12

Hope that's what you mean m8 lol

Fri Aug 26, 2016 11:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Thanks Gray that's it. I like to trial my horses at the exact track the races are to be run.

May I ask a favor please? I want to quickly trial my horses at the track but I have things to do in the next few hours - May I send in horses for the races in about 6 to 8 hours please?

Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:42 pm
Selling plater

Damn, am I too late to enter?

Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:41 pm
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Thanks Gray that's it. I like to trial my horses at the exact track the races are to be run.

May I ask a favor please? I want to quickly trial my horses at the track but I have things to do in the next few hours - May I send in horses for the races in about 6 to 8 hours please?

I can do them later or in the morning UK Sirius so send some over when you can m8.

Gray

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

j_harrison wrote:
Damn, am I too late to enter?

You got a couple of Hours m8

Gray

Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:49 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Should've thought of this before - I need the Hurdle and Jumps specs also for the _courses file please.

If someone has them for the Pontypool course I'd appreciate they post them here for me please. I'll trial at another course for now if I don't get a quick reply and just use those horses. My flat team is ready and the 2yo runner destroys at the race conditions. Will take some beating.

I apologise to all for holding up post time. :shock:

Sat Aug 27, 2016 12:56 am
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Should've thought of this before - I need the Hurdle and Jumps specs also for the _courses file please.

If someone has them for the Pontypool course I'd appreciate they post them here for me please. I'll trial at another course for now if I don't get a quick reply and just use those horses. My flat team is ready and the 2yo runner destroys at the race conditions. Will take some beating.

I apologise to all for holding up post time. :shock:

It's the same specs

Pontypool
FieldLimit:20
RH280
GMU,12

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:22 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Thanks Gray. Entries coming your way soon.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 1:30 am
Group 1 winner

Entries sent and thanks again for the reprieve.

1. In It
2. Dens World
3. Misleader Of The Free World
4. Rainbow Spectrum
5. Man Cave
6. Grand Opening
7. Loyal Royal
8. Daffodil Crossroads

In It won all his trials readily or easily. My best hope for a win I suspect. Not expecting one though. Good luck all.

Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:19 am
Selling plater

thunderspark1 wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
One question thunder if I may, are you making multiple copies of the same horses with the stats you want to increase your percentages of passing that trait down your lines? I messed about with this myself, and it was how i got extra speed into a wider range of distances, but it is pretty dull to do and I gave up on it after a few seasons. I do tend to copy those horses that set a new bar into each of my games, but like to mix it up now to avoid the issue with having the same parentage on my best horses, I also tend to set my barns with a ten to one ratio colts to fillies to further break away from this. Dilutes the stats more than I would like but makes it less of a chore.

No I don't make mutliple copies of horses. It's not necessary but I guess it would work.

I usually send 2 emails to the people who request some explation.

The first email explains why sometimes breeding your best horses is not always the best way. Most of the time it will work. But eventually they will no longer improve. The horse's stats will actually capped out and you wont see any progress anymore.

The 2nd email is the actual step by step way of improving it in detail. This is the tedious part of the process.

If you leave your email or you can email me and I can send the first part which should explain some things. It might give you some ideas that you can incorporate into your breeding. The explanation should be enough and you can breed your own way since not everyone would want to do it the way I do it.

Id be very interested to receive what info you can provide on improving bloodlines! My breeding has stalled significantly and rather than begin a new game I'd like to try a different approach to resurrect what I already have!

email to steclarence at hot male dot com.

Many thanks!
Steve

Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next