View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Handicapping Issue 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Handicapping Issue
Githyanki wrote:
Personally I think that is a bad outcome from basically a bunch of forum whinging from people who will not step forward to take the role themselves.

But then my mother lost her long battle with ill health last Friday so I may have a different perspective as to how much this all really matters.

Sorry about u mum Josh. Its horrible losing u mum .

Look mistakes happen and u only learn from u mistakes and doing the flat h'capping is hard so im not sure why its changing half way through the season .

Mon May 04, 2020 7:52 pm
Group 1 winner

Sorry for your loss Josh

Mon May 04, 2020 8:51 pm
Group 3 winner

Firstly let me apologise for my little outburst. I was under the influence after way too much to drink. Believe me I paid for it, had the biggest hangover I ever had over the weekend and as such didn't even go online over the weekend but noticed I had exploded this bomb yesterday morning so figure I should reply.

Secondly my condolences to Githyani/Josh I think we are in the same ship ( a boat is too small to fit us all in atm) I lost a very good friend just over a week ago hence why I was drinking heavily. I lost a parent a long time ago and still know how that feels, my pain at this time I'm sure is smaller than yours.

Thirdly thanks to all who put up with my newbie ways of handicapping the online league. Thank you for your patience. I learned a lot in a short time, it was my experience of rating real racing that held me back at the beginning but was realising this is not a real season of many weeks and you have to expand the ratings to accommodate a 13 week season. To be honest I felt a sense of relief after been sacked (that sounds harsh but... ) . I found myself spending over 8 hours over 3 days rating horses, much more on the first week (35+ races a week including many very big fields was too much time I knew my wife thought that at and now says), only time I would check a horses form out is if the rating was adjusted over a stone. The draw effect did come to mind but I decided a disadvantage one day should be an advantage the next day so I ignored the draw effect, not convinced this is truly an error. Sorry if I missed a race on TOM, I rushed last week so I had more time for other things and didn't check for mistakes (most mistakes are small and difficult to find until pointed out) .

Lastly, thanks to some of the kind and understanding remarks in this thread

As I say it's a relief in a way but I`m sorry I cannot help the league. As I mentioned before I'm a carer on benefits and can't afford dropbox premium otherwise I would without hesitation.

Tue May 05, 2020 1:50 am
Group 1 winner

dragontrainer wrote:
Firstly let me apologise for my little outburst. I was under the influence after way too much to drink. Believe me I paid for it, had the biggest hangover I ever had over the weekend and as such didn't even go online over the weekend but noticed I had exploded this bomb yesterday morning so figure I should reply.

Secondly my condolences to Githyani/Josh I think we are in the same ship ( a boat is too small to fit us all in atm) I lost a very good friend just over a week ago hence why I was drinking heavily. I lost a parent a long time ago and still know how that feels, my pain at this time I'm sure is smaller than yours.

Thirdly thanks to all who put up with my newbie ways of handicapping the online league. Thank you for your patience. I learned a lot in a short time, it was my experience of rating real racing that held me back at the beginning but was realising this is not a real season of many weeks and you have to expand the ratings to accommodate a 13 week season. To be honest I felt a sense of relief after been sacked (that sounds harsh but... ) . I found myself spending over 8 hours over 3 days rating horses, much more on the first week (35+ races a week including many very big fields was too much time I knew my wife thought that at and now says), only time I would check a horses form out is if the rating was adjusted over a stone. The draw effect did come to mind but I decided a disadvantage one day should be an advantage the next day so I ignored the draw effect, not convinced this is truly an error. Sorry if I missed a race on TOM, I rushed last week so I had more time for other things and didn't check for mistakes (most mistakes are small and difficult to find until pointed out) .

Lastly, thanks to some of the kind and understanding remarks in this thread

As I say it's a relief in a way but I`m sorry I cannot help the league. As I mentioned before I'm a carer on benefits and can't afford dropbox premium otherwise I would without hesitation.

The Dropbox is the killer for a lot of volunteers. If I couldn't write the expense off on tax I'm not sure if I'd cough up the cost each year.
I believe you were involved in SO5 and earlier? I think the game evolved a long way during SO6 and I am sure if you had been involved, doing the handicapping would have been a smoother job for you.
Stick around and keep entering your stable and get the feel of the new race schedule and the depth it provides and there is no reason why you can't have another crack at the handicapping next season.
And never mind the outburst - I think a lot of us have been on the **** and nudged it a bit too far in the forums from time to time.

Tue May 05, 2020 3:22 am
Group 3 winner

NPG319 wrote:
And never mind the outburst - I think a lot of us have been on the **** and nudged it a bit too far in the forums from time to time.

Thats the thing about forums and text chat. It can be hard to interpret whether someones comments are done with a gentle hand on your shoulder or a wagging finger in your face.

Perhaps in the future we might consider breaking up the Handicapping like the Race running is done.
I dont think it would be too difficult to have an agreed base "formula" that more than one handicapper would use.
The more the work load the harder the job becomes.

Tue May 05, 2020 4:22 am
Group 1 winner

There is a way to create links in dropbox so you don't need to get premium. You can then download the content and watch it so there is a way to watch the races without paying the extra.

I agree with Jango and think multiple handicappers is a great idea. I think the load is a lot for 1 person. I'm sure people could come with some sort of base to use. It's the first week that's the hardest.

Hopefully you stay involved. As Doug says maybe you could be involved next season in handicapping. You have some good horses, and they look like a good base to improve your stable from

If anyone involved in league needs access to races they don't have let me know and we can creat links to download the content

Tue May 05, 2020 10:03 am
Group 1 winner

The way I used to do it and think this is the way is below,

G1 race 120 - 101
G2 115 - 100
G3 110 - 100
That would be my guide straight off the bat!

If you put your horse in a group race then you will prob pay for the season as unless your tailed off twice in group race I would never dip below the 100 mark. This also isn’t set in stone as 100 being last place, if you finished midfield in a group race then next race last you won’t be given the 100 mark it will be adjusted accordingly. It still gives the odd horse a chance of having top weight in a 0-110 but then helps out the lower trainers as they will prob get in with 7’12!
This is how I would gauge the league and then this opens all hcap ranges to be dealt with easily, if a 95-100 horse wins a hcap race I would then rate that at 110 to make sure it was pushed towards group/listed races again to open up the lower races to new players. It’s a hard job and week 1 is always the base, I don’t want to think I’m pushing my ideas to the new hcapper but I found I never had many complaints at all from trainers apart from the odd 1 or 2 who just wanted a barny that week lol.
Maidens are a huge huge guide to horse range and again in this league specifically I would be rating week 1 maiden first 5 home 95-100 and work from there. The aim is always trying to get the new trainers or the lower trainer with less time who still wants to be involved a chance of winning, so a 0-70 would only have their horses in reality racing

Tue May 05, 2020 10:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4