View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Handicapping Issue 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Handicapping Issue
The league is run entirely by people volunteering their personal free time to make it work so everyone else can enjoy it, race running takes hours, adding commentary takes hours, and handicapping likely takes more time than everything else.

I don’t think it is reasonable to expect the handicapper to have reviewed and rated around 14 races probably over 100 horses by Thursday morning when the entires start to fly in when he only watches the races from Wednesday evening or Thursday morning himself.

What would be reasonable is for trainers to have a little patience and do their entires from the last days racing after they can see the ratings have been adjusted. It takes you a lot less time to enter around ten horses than it does to handicap over 100.

Mon May 04, 2020 12:37 am
Group 1 winner

And as far as I understand it no one changed anything after the event, the horse files were correct which is the rating I see in the racekit, the TOM rating looks like it was missed. So as was said not your fault as such but he should have never been 100.

Mon May 04, 2020 12:45 am
Group 1 winner

well if you run a G1 winner in a G3 with a massive penalty you cant expect an ease in the weights my horse which has run twice against yours is rated 105 and was well beaten in the G1 if you place your horse correctly instead of looking for an ease in the weights its will be all good

Mon May 04, 2020 2:28 am
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
And as far as I understand it no one changed anything after the event, the horse files were correct which is the rating I see in the racekit, the TOM rating looks like it was missed. So as was said not your fault as such but he should have never been 100.

Exactly not my fault, rating should have stood at 100. The horse could have been entered in another race should I have known the handicap was going to be changed. This is important, it could happen again to your horse or someones elses.

Mon May 04, 2020 8:50 am
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
The league is run entirely by people volunteering their personal free time to make it work so everyone else can enjoy it, race running takes hours, adding commentary takes hours, and handicapping likely takes more time than everything else.

I don’t think it is reasonable to expect the handicapper to have reviewed and rated around 14 races probably over 100 horses by Thursday morning when the entires start to fly in when he only watches the races from Wednesday evening or Thursday morning himself.

What would be reasonable is for trainers to have a little patience and do their entires from the last days racing after they can see the ratings have been adjusted. It takes you a lot less time to enter around ten horses than it does to handicap over 100.

I'm asking for the ratings to be final on the Friday deadline day, not on Thursday. Handicapper should be finished by deadline.

Mon May 04, 2020 8:51 am
Handicapper

jalupen wrote:
well if you run a G1 winner in a G3 with a massive penalty you cant expect an ease in the weights my horse which has run twice against yours is rated 105 and was well beaten in the G1 if you place your horse correctly instead of looking for an ease in the weights its will be all good

Thanks for pointing out the harsh penalties for running a G1 Winner in a G3. I wasn't aware. I presume there are also penalties in a G2 and Listed race? No penalties in another G1 though? No additional penalty in an handicap, other than rating?

Mon May 04, 2020 9:00 am
Group 3 winner

Dhughes wrote:

I'm asking for the ratings to be final on the Friday deadline day, not on Thursday. Handicapper should be finished by deadline.

Are you volunteering to help? :)

Mon May 04, 2020 9:03 am
Group 1 winner

Dhughes wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

The ratings were done on the horse file. What was not done was putting these in Tom. What you asking for is impossible. The horse file had a new rating. The race would not accept the horse no matter what you try to do you can't put a 105 horse in a 100 handicap race. Unfortunately mistakes happen, everyone is a volunteer. I had an injured horse run this week, a horse that could of won. I'm not clambering for a rerun, so what these things happen.

The ratings are normally final but in this case there was a mistake in that the database was not updated to reflect the horsefile. It will happen a lot of things take immense time to do in the league, but if you notice a rating hasn't changed maybe it is a good idea to point this out so it can be corrected. There is a thread for this and I even asked a similar question thinking my horse was rated too low

If it happens again the horse file rating will be used again. It doesn't happen often. What I really want to know is why a G1 winner was rated so low in the first place, and what it was doing entering a 0-100 handicap.. G1 winners shouldn't be allowed anyhwere near 0-100 handicaps so soon after a winning such a prestigous race

Mon May 04, 2020 9:07 am
Group 1 winner

TBH like Leon I'm also surprised a Gr1 winner is that low anyway

even when you have a horse place in Gr1 company in the league you can pretty much
forget the handicap races and thats how it should be it needs to be a league for everyone.

Mon May 04, 2020 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
TBH like Leon I'm also surprised a Gr1 winner is that low anyway

even when you have a horse place in Gr1 company in the league you can pretty much
forget the handicap races and thats how it should be it needs to be a league for everyone.

The handicapper is new, so this has happenned. Horses got dropped by too much when they run 8 wide in the Australian G1, including mine and Always Dreaming, which made them all look worse than they were. The wide running should have been taking into account and horses ratings dropped by very little if they were G1 horses. One of yours got dropped 8lb for finishing 3rd in a G3, which should never have happened as well. But like I said the handicapper is new and over time I'm sure he will see things like a wide draw in SO kills a horses chances , especially if they go 10 wide and this should be taken into account.

Mon May 04, 2020 9:31 am
Group 1 winner

So essentially what you want is to be able to profit from a mistake and probably win a low grade handicap with a G1 monster, now and or in the future..........I get the desire to win races just as I get the desire to see your horses run every week but what happened was unfortunate but fundamentally it was a mistake on the TOM, not in the rating of the horse.

Part of the job of the race runners is to look for things like that to keep it fair for all, so consider the reverse your horse is rated 86 your nicely weighted for a 0-100 handicap maybe chasing your first ever win, but wait what’s this an over rated G1 winner is allowed to enter and romps it at a cantor........the bad fortunate landed on you this week, it will by the end of the year have landed on many others, just wait until you have a jockey stop riding and lose by a nose, or lose a stewards enquiry when your horse apparently does absolutely nothing wrong, or have your horse just vanish from the race as happened to one of mine week 1. Be grateful the pull up curse looks like it is gone this year, that was always fun.....

Mon May 04, 2020 9:39 am
Group 1 winner

First all I like to Thank Craig for the effort he put into what is a tough gig Flat Handicapping but with the problems we have had I have to look what's the best way forward and I have decided to let Craig go and will get someone new in I hate the thought I have to do this but we need to get the ratings sorted and hopefully get back on track and someone who can have a look and try and sort things I am thinking of a week break after week 5 to sort things out what do you guys think.

Gray

Mon May 04, 2020 10:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
First all I like to Thank Craig for the effort he put into what is a tough gig Flat Handicapping but with the problems we have had I have to look what's the best way forward and I have decided to let Craig go and will get someone new in I hate the thought I have to do this but we need to get the ratings sorted and hopefully get back on track and someone who can have a look and try and sort things I am thinking of a week break after week 5 to sort things out what do you guys think.

Gray

This is sad to see I was more than willing to help him and figure out the ratings and how they work, I agree to now go and review all horses is a monster job. That’s 120 races to go through ! I’m thinking l would volunteer to help here to keep the league going. Maybe a 1 week break with the chance then of an upload week to give players an extra chance of playing and to sort the ratings out?
Going forward an idea once we back up and running, declarations open Friday morning and close Saturday morning ? That gives 1 day for entries but then will stop any horses being entered under old ratings ?
Drop me a message if you want me to help out now and I may just be able to to do it for the season time willing

Mon May 04, 2020 10:20 am
Group 1 winner

Personally I think that is a bad outcome from basically a bunch of forum whinging from people who will not step forward to take the role themselves.

But then my mother lost her long battle with ill health last Friday so I may have a different perspective as to how much this all really matters.

Mon May 04, 2020 10:23 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
But then my mother lost her long battle with ill health last Friday so I may have a different perspective as to how much this all really matters.

Geez Mate i'm very sorry to hear this.

Mon May 04, 2020 10:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next