View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Handicapping Issue 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Handicapping Issue
Very Sorry to hear That Josh.

Gray

Mon May 04, 2020 10:37 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Personally I think that is a bad outcome from basically a bunch of forum whinging from people who will not step forward to take the role themselves.

But then my mother lost her long battle with ill health last Friday so I may have a different perspective as to how much this all really matters.

Puts things into perspective, really sorry for your loss pal

Mike

Mon May 04, 2020 10:51 am
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
But then my mother lost her long battle with ill health last Friday so I may have a different perspective as to how much this all really matters.

My deepest condolences for the passing of your mother Josh.

Craig

Mon May 04, 2020 11:29 am
Group 1 winner

Sad to hear. My deepest sympathies.

Mon May 04, 2020 11:42 am
Group 2 winner

Sorry to hear that Josh..Condolences mate

As for the handicapping, I think it is just a simple tweak that was needed wasn't it? I think Craig was doing fine, but was just handicapping exactly, almost textbook like you would in real life. I think it would have only took a little experience to do the slight adjustment the league needs, given the gaps are different to real life and league horses an trainers. It was literally a very slight difference.

I also think maybe Craig was taking comments a little to heart, which is a shame as I haven't seen a vindictive comment just yet, Dan was just a little upset his horse was pulled out so late which is understandable as it's not nice a horse not being able to run through no real fault of your own. On the other hand, I think he just thought someone had a look at the rating and changed it after entries had closed, which isn't the case, obviously it's nobody's fault, it's just a glitch that unfortunately nothing could be done and is going to happen.

I think we just need to be careful with things escalating sometimes through misunderstandings, it happens sometimes that people are discussing 2 different subjects without realising. I think trainers do need to realise the effort you guys put into the races too, H'cappers, Comms, Gray, Leon, Race Runners. And every now an then, something will go wrong that may effect us as a trainer, but it needs to be accepted for what it is 'a mistake', and try to move on, as what you guys do, really does benefit the lot of us.

Mon May 04, 2020 11:45 am
Group 1 winner

Hopefully Craig will still be involved in helping running the league as there are other roles that need some help and they not as stressful or time consuming as handicapping. He has some useful horses as well. Handicapping has always been a difficult job. It's not quite like real life as a season starts with all G1 horses in maidens that's why the race kit gets it so wrong. Also trainers run horses at wrong distances etc and this needs to be taking into account before adjusting ratings, but this all come from experience.

Mon May 04, 2020 11:59 am
Group 1 winner

mwesty1 wrote:
simpleminds wrote:
First all I like to Thank Craig for the effort he put into what is a tough gig Flat Handicapping but with the problems we have had I have to look what's the best way forward and I have decided to let Craig go and will get someone new in I hate the thought I have to do this but we need to get the ratings sorted and hopefully get back on track and someone who can have a look and try and sort things I am thinking of a week break after week 5 to sort things out what do you guys think.

Gray

This is sad to see I was more than willing to help him and figure out the ratings and how they work, I agree to now go and review all horses is a monster job. That’s 120 races to go through ! I’m thinking l would volunteer to help here to keep the league going. Maybe a 1 week break with the chance then of an upload week to give players an extra chance of playing and to sort the ratings out?
Going forward an idea once we back up and running, declarations open Friday morning and close Saturday morning ? That gives 1 day for entries but then will stop any horses being entered under old ratings ?
Drop me a message if you want me to help out now and I may just be able to to do it for the season time willing

Mike thank you for your offer I will keep you in mind and I hope the new Handicapper needs any advice come to you and seek some advice I know you don't have a jumps stable this season but ever thought of doing the Jump Handicapping ? has I do many jobs behind the scene and can never get anyone to take that one off me,

Gray

Mon May 04, 2020 12:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Selling plater

I personally have no problem with the new handicapper. I would let him carry on and learn from his mistakes, This is meant to be for fun nothing more.
I know we all put days on days breeding horses but at the end of the day we are still playing and enjoying the game we all love. So it's not exactly torture having to play a fun game breeding horses for the league.

I myself have a horse i feel has been given a bad mark but you know what i carry on racing him in races he has no chance of winning and i'm still having fun. I will still have as much anticipation waiting for him to run in a g1 he can't win with the 0.001% chance he some how does than i would him running in a 0-90 where i believe he can win the odd race. I will still enter him in group race after group race and still have a great time doing so even if he does finish near the back most times.

I think we just need to remember we are all here to be part of a community and have fun. Your horse is rated 110 should be 90 who cares? Just race it anywhere and have fun. Let the handicapper learn his role and maybe 3-4 weeks down the line he has nailed it and everyone is happy. Your horse has been scratched? who cares wait for next week and enjoy the other runners you may have again just have fun with it.

This is my stupid view anyway just enjoy what we have there are far more important things to worry about than badly handicapped horses :lol:

Mon May 04, 2020 12:06 pm
Group 1 winner

Josh my sincere condolences god knows what you are going through thoughts and prayers with you mate

Mon May 04, 2020 1:29 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:
So essentially what you want is to be able to profit from a mistake and probably win a low grade handicap with a G1 monster, now and or in the future..........I get the desire to win races just as I get the desire to see your horses run every week but what happened was unfortunate but fundamentally it was a mistake on the TOM, not in the rating of the horse.

Part of the job of the race runners is to look for things like that to keep it fair for all, so consider the reverse your horse is rated 86 your nicely weighted for a 0-100 handicap maybe chasing your first ever win, but wait what’s this an over rated G1 winner is allowed to enter and romps it at a cantor........the bad fortunate landed on you this week, it will by the end of the year have landed on many others, just wait until you have a jockey stop riding and lose by a nose, or lose a stewards enquiry when your horse apparently does absolutely nothing wrong, or have your horse just vanish from the race as happened to one of mine week 1. Be grateful the pull up curse looks like it is gone this year, that was always fun.....

Not looking to profit from anything, my horse was rated 100 on the website (at the deadline) and entered a 0-100 handicap. As I have said it would not have won at top weight and in a large field. I was just trying to find a way that this could not happen again to me or anyone else, hence why I asked for deadline ratings be final.

Mon May 04, 2020 1:31 pm
Handicapper

leonvr wrote:

The ratings were done on the horse file. What was not done was putting these in Tom. What you asking for is impossible. The horse file had a new rating. The race would not accept the horse no matter what you try to do you can't put a 105 horse in a 100 handicap race. Unfortunately mistakes happen, everyone is a volunteer. I had an injured horse run this week, a horse that could of won. I'm not clambering for a rerun, so what these things happen.

The ratings are normally final but in this case there was a mistake in that the database was not updated to reflect the horsefile. It will happen a lot of things take immense time to do in the league, but if you notice a rating hasn't changed maybe it is a good idea to point this out so it can be corrected. There is a thread for this and I even asked a similar question thinking my horse was rated too low

If it happens again the horse file rating will be used again. It doesn't happen often. What I really want to know is why a G1 winner was rated so low in the first place, and what it was doing entering a 0-100 handicap.. G1 winners shouldn't be allowed anyhwere near 0-100 handicaps so soon after a winning such a prestigous race

You are the first person to say it was impossible for the horses to race due to technical issues, if that is true, I am happy with that explanation. Githyanki seemed to indicate that the horses could have ran.

I think it is ambitious to ask everyone to check every horse's racing to check if it has or has not changed and point it out to the handicapper. I presumed he had not changed it because he thought the rating was correct to stay at 100.

It appears that the handicapper made an error that resulted in horses being scratched from races which wasn't fair on trainers. I thought the horses could and should have ran anyway but if you say that's impossible then fair enough, mistakes happen. Handicapper doesn't need to lose his job, just needs to be more careful.

Mon May 04, 2020 1:44 pm
Group 1 winner

[/quote]

Mike thank you for your offer I will keep you in mind and I hope the new Handicapper needs any advice come to you and seek some advice I know you don't have a jumps stable this season but ever thought of doing the Jump Handicapping ? has I do many jobs behind the scene and can never get anyone to take that one off me,

Gray[/quote]

No problem mate, here to help out whoever it is. As for the NH I have to politely refuse, i think the flat is easy with my knowledge but I couldn’t even entertain the NH with fallers, refusing, bad jumps! It’s just not for me tbh pal but I will help out if you ever need it no problem at all mate. But as full time it’s just too much a headache

Mon May 04, 2020 2:25 pm
Handicapper

Hi gray, keep me in mind for future jobs.

would love to help out.

Mon May 04, 2020 2:39 pm
Group 1 winner

jockeyryan321 wrote:
Hi gray, keep me in mind for future jobs.

would love to help out.

Hi Ryan Race Runners and Commentators are always welcome Handicapping can be a hard job but if you would like to race Run Next season Around September I would take you up with that and offer you a go at it you will need a Drop Box Account but this costs and the free one doesn't give you enough space to upload race files which can be large.

Again I can offer you a go at Commentating if you want to try this I can have a word with Martin I see if he needs another Commentator to Help out the Team and you could do that this Season.

Gray

Mon May 04, 2020 4:05 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Handicapper

yes i could take anything thats there. Just give me a shout when needed.

thanks

Mon May 04, 2020 4:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next