View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 7:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 League Trials Races 
Selling plater

Post Re: League Trials Races
Thunderspark,

Thanks for going into some detail - really fascinating to see different processes that people employ.

I think taking that multi-generational approach to locking in the desirable stats, and the need to take a few steps backwards in terms of potential, is where my breeding strategy is lacking. For example, I'm now overflowing with good horses (10 potential and actual, 9.5 extra speed rating, 5.5 cruising burst) but I'm essentially at the point where I'm breeding like with like now and there's no dramatic progression.

I'm just as jealous as Githyanki about that CB and ESR combo haha. Awesome.

Maybe it's me being thick or misinformed but I thought once I lost my 10 potential it wouldn't come back. Let's say I bred a 10 potential horse with a 7 potential horse and ended up with 8.5 in the offspring - it's actually possible to use that offspring and still end up with 10 potential down the line again? I'm guessing now that it is, based on what you said about Rumble? Presumably the process is to keep pairing the new generation with 10 potential horses and it will incrementally creep up again? If so, that's a real lightbulb moment for me and will completely change how I breed.

Thanks again for sharing - really interesting stuff :)

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:17 pm
Handicapper

Githyanki wrote:

Jumping is a little more of a mystery, some of my best jumpers in tk, statistically look awful at jumping, and I have had full potential jumper stats on horses that could not win a donkey derby. :) but I figure combined with the same three elements is the way to fly.

Jealous of that breeding crop by the way :)

I think you are right about jumpers being a mystery. It may involve other stats that I'm not taking into account. I just produced a colt that has better stats than Rumble but runs terribly in trials.It had 0 Jump Potential thought so that could be it. I will need somehow add Jump potential and see what happens. Or it could have something to do with Distance Adaptability.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:54 pm
Handicapper

Pebbles Girl wrote:

Maybe it's me being thick or misinformed but I thought once I lost my 10 potential it wouldn't come back. Let's say I bred a 10 potential horse with a 7 potential horse and ended up with 8.5 in the offspring - it's actually possible to use that offspring and still end up with 10 potential down the line again? I'm guessing now that it is, based on what you said about Rumble? Presumably the process is to keep pairing the new generation with 10 potential horses and it will incrementally creep up again? If so, that's a real lightbulb moment for me and will completely change how I breed.

I'll try to explain how breeding works.

In your example, if you breed a 10 potential horse with a 7 potential horse the foal will have a potential range of

7 - 10

It will be a random number generated that is in the range of those 2 numbers. Getting 8.5 is about right. You can get a 10 but it's probability is not as high as getting a number in the middle. Same goes for each stat of the horse.

You can see this when you breed a 2miler and a 5f horse. You will get a random horse in those range. From 5f to 2m with a likelihood of inbetween.

This also explains why when you try to breed in battling qualities. If you have a horse with 10 BQ and a 0BQ, then the foal will be in the range of

0 to 10

If you get a foal with 8.5 Battling qualities and then try to breed that horse with another horse with 0 Battling qualities then the foal produced will be rangebound to

0 to 8.5

You will never get that 10 again. The next generation will only get a max of 8.5. So if you want the 10BQ to pass on, the foals must keep the 10BG every generation.

It's actually very simple to breed in Cruising burst. Simple as in, it can be replicated by anyone. It's hard to do because it's a lot of work and very tedious.

You having mares with 10 potential and high speed makes is a really good start.

I will not explain it further because this is the part where it's possible to not enjoy the game. The process involved is tedious. But if you want the details, leave your email and I'll send it privately.

Mon Aug 15, 2016 9:06 pm
Selling plater

thunderspark1 wrote:
Pebbles Girl wrote:

In your example, if you breed a 10 potential horse with a 7 potential horse the foal will have a potential range of

7 - 10

It will be a random number generated that is in the range of those 2 numbers. Getting 8.5 is about right. You can get a 10 but it's probability is not as high as getting a number in the middle. Same goes for each stat of the horse.

You can see this when you breed a 2miler and a 5f horse. You will get a random horse in those range. From 5f to 2m with a likelihood of inbetween.

This also explains why when you try to breed in battling qualities. If you have a horse with 10 BQ and a 0BQ, then the foal will be in the range of

0 to 10

If you get a foal with 8.5 Battling qualities and then try to breed that horse with another horse with 0 Battling qualities then the foal produced will be rangebound to

0 to 8.5

You will never get that 10 again. The next generation will only get a max of 8.5. So if you want the 10BQ to pass on, the foals must keep the 10BG every generation.

It's actually very simple to breed in Cruising burst. Simple as in, it can be replicated by anyone. It's hard to do because it's a lot of work and very tedious.

I will not explain it further because this is the part where it's possible to not enjoy the game. The process involved is tedious. But if you want the details, leave your email and I'll send it privately.

An email would be good as I've already taken this thread too far off topic (apologies Gray and all).

Last edited by Pebbles Girl on Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:33 am
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

Jumping is a little more of a mystery, some of my best jumpers in tk, statistically look awful at jumping, and I have had full potential jumper stats on horses that could not win a donkey derby. :) but I figure combined with the same three elements is the way to fly.

Jealous of that breeding crop by the way :)

I think you are right about jumpers being a mystery. It may involve other stats that I'm not taking into account. I just produced a colt that has better stats than Rumble but runs terribly in trials.It had 0 Jump Potential thought so that could be it. I will need somehow add Jump potential and see what happens. Or it could have something to do with Distance Adaptability.

Thanks for your insights!

With the jump stat - and I will say up front that I've only recently started breeding hunt horses so it is an opinion for now - I think a high jump bar is more important for Chasers. With my limited experience it seems that a low or no jump bar isn't of much hindrance to hurdlers.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:55 am
Handicapper

thunderspark1 wrote:
Pebbles Girl wrote:

7 - 10

0 to 10

0 to 8.5

I would also be interested in how to increase Cruising Burst its the one stat I cant seem to breed in my lines, if you could share with me I too would be grateful, email is dit74 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Thanks for the insights

Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:23 pm
Handicapper

dit74 wrote:

I would also be interested in how to increase Cruising Burst its the one stat I cant seem to breed in my lines, if you could share with me I too would be grateful, email is dit74 at yahoo dot co dot uk

Thanks for the insights

Sent

And goodluck with your horses.

Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:08 pm
Group 1 winner

My Pontypool UK Mixed entries emailed you Gray

Race 1 Flat Maiden 2yo Stakes 6f - QUANDANJJO
Race 2 NH Hurdle 2m 4UP - SNOW QUEEN
Race 3 Flat Sprint Stakes 3UP 5f - NEAT
Race 4 NH Chase 3m 5f 5UP - JOHN THE BAPTIST
Race 5 Flat Classic Stakes 3UP 1m 3f - MR LOGICAL
Race 6 NH Chase 2m 4UP - PERFECT TIMING
Race 7 Flat Pontypool Cup 3UP 2m 4f - GOOD MANNERS
Race 8 NH Hurdle 2m 4f 4UP - THE ROOF IS ON FIRE

Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:25 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
dit74 wrote:

Thanks for the insights

Sent

What's the old saying, u can fool some of the people some of the time but u cant fool all the people all the time.

For some one who newish u seem to know a lot about the game. What's the old saying to good to be true, I think u just might be that person.

Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:41 pm
Group 3 winner

tony was in the league years ago
was very good trainer
now he is back lol

ghostzapper74 wrote:
thunderspark1 wrote:
dit74 wrote:

Thanks for the insights

Sent

What's the old saying, u can fool some of the people some of the time but u cant fool all the people all the time.

For some one who newish u seem to know a lot about the game. What's the old saying to good to be true, I think u just might be that person.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:02 pm
Selling plater

Ghostzapper,

As delmonty said, Thunderspark never claimed to be new and if you had read further back the thread you would have seen him say he lost the login to his original account. Your hostility and cynicism is puzzling.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:27 pm
Handicapper

Pebbles Girl wrote:
Ghostzapper,

As delmonty said, Thunderspark never claimed to be new and if you had read further back the thread you would have seen him say he lost the login to his original account. Your hostility and cynicism is puzzling.

i don't honestly think there was hostility there :)

we don't do hostility on this forum anyway :D

Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:57 pm
Group 1 winner

Pebbles Girl wrote:
Ghostzapper,

When someone say's something like I was disappointed to only win 3 out of 4 trial races then I have some serious questions about them. So if he's been breeding since the game came out why didn't he enter horses last season, and if he's only just started playing the game how does he think he should win every race???? It doesn't add up.

Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:37 pm
Handicapper

Instead of whining, you could have just left your email and I could have showed you how it's done. I would have been happy to and maybe you could have learned something.

Now you have to win against my horses just to prove me wrong. And it would really suck if you lose to my horses since I just started in July. Cuz that would prove that you don't know everything about this game.

Here is the exact quote and I'll repost it again so you can re-read it.

thunderspark1 wrote:
Disappointed with the 1st race, I was hoping for a better finish than 11th. .

Now read what you just wrote.

ghostzapper74 wrote:

When someone say's something like I was disappointed to only win 3 out of 4 trial races then I have some serious questions about them.

Can you spot the difference?

Did you see Rumble's stats?
Shouldn't I be disappointed when he finishes 11th with those stats?

Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:37 am
Group 1 winner

Am I missing something here? Some history or an insinuation of hacking breeding lines with legends?

Have to say in 80 odd seasons I have never seen a 7f with crusing burst that high but then I had also not seen full extra speed 1.4m's until I breed for them.

Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 93 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next