View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next
 ASK THE HANDICAPPER 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: ASK THE HANDICAPPER
Wekk 4 flat ratings are done.

Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 am
Group 1 winner

Week 5 flat ratings are complete. All.38.Races. :?

Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:08 am
Group 2 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Week 5 flat ratings are complete. All.38.Races. :?

Well done mate, tough week, but looks like its 38 race week for most of season from now on in :cry:

Enjoy your break and see you in 2018.
Stu

Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:05 am
Group 1 winner

Thanks Stu!....for reminding me there are 38 races each week the rest of the way grrrrr :? :lol:

Week 6 day 1 flat ratings are in the books. New feature - since TOM allows ratings down to 45, those of you running offspring of Mr Ed will now see ratings that may reach the minimum rating of 45. The backyard kids party pony rating if you will.

Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:11 am
Group 1 winner

C'mon people can we please use the honor system and stick to the distance rules? Hans, I'm leaving this horse at 110. The horse debuted and won at 15, finished second at 16, fourth at 14. This week you put him in a 20 furlong race? Now he is entered back at 14 in a handicap?

Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:01 am
Group 1 winner

Wait a minute, wait a minute, your calling hans a cheating little toe rag, who should have been banned for life last season when using legend bred horses.........that he is making a mockery of the hard work people put in to make this league work.........and that every week he is allowed to remain he makes the whole thing lesser........I for one am shocked, someone call me a doctor I need to take a lie down.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:51 am
Group 1 winner

Please there is no need for vitriol. I just want Hans and everyone else to respect the distance rules. I don't have a grudge with him.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:11 am
Group 1 winner

Does this rule still stand?
"Handicaps - horses will be allowed in handicaps 2f either side of their best maiden run. If they have not run in a maiden then 2f either side of their best run. The exception to this is 2m + where horses will be eligible for 2f less than their best run and all races greater than their best run"

If so - I can't see what Hans has done wrong.

Doug

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:18 am
Group 1 winner

The issue is the 20 furlong race. This horse is a 13 to 17 horse. Trainers should keep the horse within their range. 20f for this horse is way out of its range and the placement suggests only one thing - drop as many points as possible. I see that as a bad faith spotting of a horse whose next race is a 110 handicap. Yes you can enter your horse in any group,listed or Maiden race of any distance you like but don't expect me to drop points when the horse is so obviously out of its distance range.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:53 am
Group 3 winner

Howdy

I'm still working out what an unraced horse can enter.
I cant enter an unraced horse in any event that doesnt have a max 999 rating, even if its a maiden or a G2. Is that correct?
I know i cant enter in a G1 unless raced.

Cheers

Tue Jan 09, 2018 12:40 pm
Group 2 winner

Jango wrote:
Howdy

I'm still working out what an unraced horse can enter.
I cant enter an unraced horse in any event that doesnt have a max 999 rating, even if its a maiden or a G2. Is that correct?
I know i cant enter in a G1 unless raced.

Cheers

You can enter any maiden, listed, group 2 or group 3 race on the flat, age and sex restrictions withstanding.
Over jumps there are more variables but you cannot enter grade 1's or handicaps. You are eligible for all others depending upon the age, sex and status (open/novice) of the horse.
P.S. good luck and don't get disheartened if your horses are well beaten, they will get opportunities to win.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:10 pm
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
C'mon people can we please use the honor system and stick to the distance rules? Hans, I'm leaving this horse at 110. The horse debuted and won at 15, finished second at 16, fourth at 14. This week you put him in a 20 furlong race? Now he is entered back at 14 in a handicap?

Under current distance rules trainer has done nothing wrong here, horse ran in and won a 15f maiden so is eligible to run in handicaps from 13f-17f. If he wants to run the horse over other distances in non handicaps, that's up to him. The problem is with the distance rule that a horse can only run 2f either side of best maiden run in handicaps so maybe it's time to have a look at changing this rule for next season. Imo horses should only be allowed to run in handicaps 2f either side of last run.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:14 pm
Group 1 winner

Kev - I agree.

The only thing I think Hans did wrong was he jumped 3f to run in his last start - his horse should have been scratched. Keeping it's rating at 110 seems fair enough.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:39 pm
Group 2 winner

NPG319 wrote:
Kev - I agree.

The only thing I think Hans did wrong was he jumped 3f to run in his last start - his horse should have been scratched. Keeping it's rating at 110 seems fair enough.

It should not of been scratched Doug, the race was a group 1 not a handicap and in non-handicaps there are no distance rules (neither should there be). I know it makes it more time consuming for the handicapper but most horses running in groups 1's don't frequent handicaps.
Last season I managed a 5th place in the breeders cup juvenile fillies over 1 mile with a horse that had done all of its racing over 5 furlongs. I noticed a total lack of entries in the race and chanced my arm. I had no intention of managing a handicap mark just grabbing some much needed prize money.

Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:49 pm
Group 3 winner

I keep saying this but nobody ever takes any notice. The handicapper can disregard any run he sees fit to if he thinks it will compromise the handicap.

Also a trainer has a right to experiment with a horses distance in the non handicap races if he wants to. There is no benefit in running it over the wrong distance in a handicap to enable it to win a group race, but there is in doing it the other way around and that is why the distance rules are there.

Hans has done nothing wrong in entering the horse and Sirius has done exactly the right thing by leaving the handicap mark as is.

There is no story or issue here.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:39 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 19  Next