View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Meet the Nags Part 2 - Jump 
Group 1 winner

Post Meet the Nags Part 2 - Jump
Again I would stay overall I have made some progress from last season, but a couple of returning horses who still feature strongly in trials likely tells me my progress has not be excessive. Remains to be seen how far this puts me behind the top tier trainers, who all seem to have improved on thoroughly beating me last season. That said I still I come into this league with reasonably high hopes, as the overall quality depth has improved. I figure I have graded race potential in every area, with I hope a chance to finally steal that G1 after coming so close in both the Gold Cup and Champion Hurdle last time around. Team has in general a much stronger leaning to softer ground, have shaken off the flat team firm ground roots that plagued me last year so I shall be doing a rain dance or two come Cheltenham. Week 1 weather not what I am wanting and it would be my luck now if we have good ground all year………

Hurdle Team

Playing Around – 4YO Juvenile who has a mixed bloodline from a flat colt called Board Games, and Chess, who not surprisingly was breed extensively following last season. Was a Derby candidate a few trails back, but is consistent over hurdles and will challenge Man of War for the Triumph slot.

Man of War – Trialled well at both 5YO and 6YO over hurdles and fences respectively but one I wanted to get in as a 4YO so I have options to return him later, rather fond of this horse. Has Chess on one side of his lineage and a really old horse from well before the last league Hard Tack on the other, has been on the team sheet for a long time now, and holds his place as my most likely Triumph candidate, just gone back into the breeding barn also.

Fallen Hallelujah – Novice who is aimed at the bumpers, and is by far my most consistent over 2m and 2.1m, very solid over hurdles also should he fall short of the grade I can always switch, but the plan will be the Cheltenham Bumper, still not sure he needs to be a novice to enter them but without a clear answer I know this at least makes him eligible, though leaves be rich in 2m Novices. Breeding line includes Eye of the Storm from last season’s league team, a handicap winner, and he has shaken off her preference for firm ground.

Burning Saints – As much as Chess played a hand in my breeding since the last league, top weight Scottish champion hurdle winner Dominion of Saints did also from the other side of the equation, though oddly combined they never produced the goods. Here Dominion of Saints, paired up with Inferno, a nearly horse from the last league pot, to produce this solid 2m mare. Comfortable on all goings and one of my two novice 2m prospects, possible for the Supreme.

Dominion of Titans – Has a little of both Chess and Dominion of Saints in him, several generations removed in the case of the later, his direct lineage is Chess and Kingdom of Titans who features in the team also, I think my best 2m novice, but questionable on the really heavy ground, great turn of foot from 3f out. As of now is my supreme hurdle candidate.

Kingdom of Titans – Another with a little of Dominion of Saints in him, again several generations removed via a stallion called Camelot Kingdom, crossed with Chess, too much inbreeding is clearly not as undesirable as you might think. Been in the mix for a while now, seen off all comers in trails, though not as impressively in the last round, but holds his spot and will be the one I aim at the Champion Hurdle.

Chess – Champion Hurdle runner up Chess is back in the team this year, and will almost certainly see time over fences at 2m too. Her 6YO season is I believe her zenith so she may steal the Champion Hurdle slot away from Kingdom of Titans, there is very little to choose between them in trials. Bloodline is so old now as to be totally academic, though I note Ardkilly Dominion had a hand in it, and he more than any other horse unlocked my cruising burst lines. Group potential.

Kiss My Tail – Another returning horse, who as a mid-season entrant last year failed to live up to expectations, at 6YO she will also chase at 2.4m, but trails solidly over hurdles still. Maybe the horse who grounds any excitement that I have gotten better by still being in the mix and with only one maiden league win to her name. Shares the Ardkilly Dominion line with Chess, her half-sister. Handicapper most likely, renowned for always leaving it too late with too much to do. Possible Mares Hurdle Candidate.

Space Monster – A late inclusion from my last breeding cycle and on paper is a real pedigree monster, goes in as a Novice as I have one who is consistently better, breeding line is the Colt Capitol Hill a flat horse who nearly made the team at a number of ages and The Perfect Foil, an out an out breeding mare, much like Another Piece. Graded prospects maybe?

Elaborate – Has been in the mix for a long time reflected by a lineage that includes Hard Tack who was around well before the last league, and Estate of Reflection, one who may feature after week 5. Last min change to Novice may see with too many, so she will need early season performances, out and out hurdler, not likely to switch to fences. Likes the softer ground and I think has graded potential, puts about 3L’s on Coconut Shy from last year’s team.

In Estate of Change – An experiment this to bring through some flat speed and burst into my jumps team, whilst holding ground preference. One of many ‘In Estates’ all of whom hail from The Estate last year’s team, a nearly horse. Is the real stand out of the bunch but you will see a lot of Estate names from me this year as they all jump well. Gets his ground preference from Reflected Estate, also in the team and the speed and burst from Foregone Conclusion, a breeding colt. Loves it really muddy, but acts well on good to soft also. The Class act of my 2.4m hurdle team, but also a decent chaser so will potentially switch. Graded prospects.

Reflected Estate – More of the estate range of horses and my top pick for the mares hurdle. In this case early in the breeding programme with The Estate being directly involved on one side, Subtle Reflection the other. Another out and out mud lurk, with a lot of range, will run well 2.2m – 3m, one who will be spending time in Ireland I think. Good chaser too at 6YO, so may feature in both. Graded prospects.

Black and White – Last year’s Gold Cup runner up Great White Hope is the white, and last year’s novice hurdler The Stunner is the black, both has league wins. Likes good ground really but ok on soft, real 3m horse, but one who can also multi task and hurdle and chase, so may go for both. My only 3m Novice Hurdler, have good hopes, outside prospect from graded races.

War Marshal – My 3m hurdling monster, late to the party coming in via the last pre league breeding cycle, from Foregone Conclusion and Latent Talent (also in the team). At his best on good to soft, but not dreadful when there is more cut, will front run if nothing else really takes it on and sets a fearsome pace, in most trials my speed horses simply cannot reel him in. World Hurdle candidate right now.

Latent Talent – The world hurdle challenger now her son has taken on the mantle, but very decent in her own right, comes late and with Great White Hope in the direct bloodline also has chase options. Sweet Shop was her mare in breeding and provides flat speed. Handicap horse with graded race prospects.

Chase Team

Stay Another Day – One of my 2m flat horses really and almost went in the flat team, but chases very well and is a decent jumper so comes in as my no2 Novice. Has Duracell and Another Piece in her lineage and so is all flat pedigree. Not my strongest area 2m chasing and may struggle to take races away from Genetics, could be one Novice too many but will see when she gets a run in.

Genetics – Perhaps the best looking horse I have ever breed on paper, and I was mortified as flat then hurdle trials went by with him floundering, when it finally came to chasing he started to shine, and seems to really respond to Heavy going, despite a preference for Good. Not a direct front runner but will do so if no one else does, likes to pound it out from about 4-6f out and make you catch him. Speed is also good with Max Throttle a sprinter on one side and breeding mare Best of Breeds on the other. Will be in my mind for the Arkle depending on ground.

Judgement for Max – Has flat breeding through and through, again in my chase team, Max Throttle is the colt, and Doom Judgement, one generation from Doom in the 2YO flat team, on the other. Acts on good to heavy and is my horse for all seasons. Will bang heads with Chocolate Brownie for the Queen Mother, not much to split them in trials, Comes late, great closing speed 2/3f out.

Chocolate Brownie – For a long time the standard bearer of my flat team, being outstanding at 1.2m – 1.4m, and once again is from an entirely flat breed lineage, The Second Coming and Affairs Energised, who can at least trace a little jumps form back to last year’s league failure Affairs of State. Has great speed and jumps well enough, also seems to act on softer ground, despite flat leaning to firm. Bit of a gamble as she was originally loaded in the 5YO flat team, time will tell is I have made an error or not.

Hop Skip Jump – Was clearly no flat horse when doing my 2YO assessment, and proved me right following his naming, really a 2.2m - 2.4m hurdler but ok over fences and will likely see time over both, as covers the 2.2m range. The speed in his lineage comes from Flat horse Mocha Latte who is in the flat team at 5YO, and a unraced breeding mare, jumping solid and acts on most goings, though likely only a handicapper.

Where All Doomed – No prizes for guessing 2YO flat team entrant Doom played a hand in the breeding here, with Subtle Disposition on the other side. Will be my Novice representative for the 2.4m chases, decent jumper but one I am really only expecting handicap value from.

Café Au Lait – My top 2.4m chaser and likely Ryanair entrant has flat team breeding with 5YO team member Mocha Latte on one side and The Wraith who is in the team for the 3m chases on the other. The bloodline and horse colour originate from last year’s gold cup runner up Great White Hope, 2 generations removed. Likes softer ground and should pick up where The Ghost left off last year, graded prospects I hope.

Tobeor Nottobe – One who nearly went the way of the Dodo at my 2YO cut, named accordingly as he had a lot of development to do, vindicated my decision to keep him by his 5YO season and looks very solid over fences. Breeding is via the colt Espresso, son of Mocha Latte and one who may see action come week 5, and breeding mare The Perfect Foil. Like good ground but acts on soft, graded potential I think.

Kiss My Estate – More of the estate theme, this time a direct breed of The Estate and Kiss My Tail, both league horses from last season. Lover of softer ground and covers both hurdles and fences from 2.4 to 3m, not rangy enough for the Gold Cup but will tackle the 3m novice races and those in-between at the 2.6m range. Graded prospects and much better as a 6YO, so in as a 5YO as she is a return prospect.

Chocolate Cake – Almost made the 3m hurdle team and has the class to tackle both, has chase team entrant Chocolate Brownie in the breeding along with a breeding colt. Decent jumper, who acts best on good maybe good to soft, probably placed 2nd of my two novice 3m chasers and will tackle both disciplines and may see action down to 2.4m, likely a handicapper.

Tiresome Lass – A failed attempt to breed another 4m horse for the national, but does just about stay 4m and may get included if I can get the races into her, has National Sensation in the breeding, along with one of my 2m flat monsters Relentless. Likes good ground but acts on soft, decent jumper with solid speed and in the mix for the Gold Cup also. Graded potential I think.

Frozen Kingdom – A late team entrant whose breeding stems from Great White Hope, directly via his daughter The Wraith who is also in the team. The colt was the 2m chaser Kingdom of Dragons who has lineage to Dominion of Saints and Chess. Fast closing 3m horse who will likely be my top 3m Novice against Chocolate Cake above. Graded prospects.

The Wraith – Direct descendant from gold cup runner up Great White Hope and is as of now my Gold Cup candidate horse. Reflected Estate, also in the team, is the other half of the line, and gives him good soft ground preferences. Jumps soundly and is ever consistent, likes to stay in touch and move from 4f out. Graded prospects.

Chasing Aces – Another from the Great White Hope breeding line, with Kiss My Tail on the other side, comes into his own at 3.4m potentially up to 3.6m, stays on same pace but will grind out horses not able to stay in more testing conditions. Not sure how he will fare, probable handicapper.

National Sensation – Back at 9YO, not so much as he is any good merely due to him being my only genuine 4m horse. I may get another breed by week five, but so far have found it impossibly difficult, so this poor jumping firm ground plugger is back for the National. Utter league failure Around DBX and extreme stayers champ Podgies Boy put this nag together. Limited hopes.

Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]