View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 120  Next
 Weekly Reaction 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Weekly Reaction
ghosty wrote:
Taunton wrote:
Congrats all winners and placers.

I think this will be a long and hard season for me. Feels like I am between a rock and a hard place. I think my horses are better bred and better than those before, but they are not good enough to compete with the big boys. So a lot of 6, 7 and 8 places for me. Hopefully the ratings will even out a bit and my horses will be able to compete more. Think a win will be harder to come by this year.

Well done all involved, the league is in a good place.

The flat this season is the best I've ever been involved in, I think these horses are far better than the final ones on SO 5.

Agree incredibility competitive probably the most competitive ever I really thought id bought my
flat team forward but other trainers have zoomed by me and left me behind I have tried everything
taken it as far as I can go and next season should there be 1 more season of So6 they will be cast offs
I really dont have the stomach to spend a ton of time just to make a minuscule of improvement.
im concentrating on the jumps side and the bars and already began work. Have trialed nothing yet but
have improved some of the bars also added in 80% jump speed. I know i can make the difference on the
jumps side maybe big improvements. Where as with the flat i really believe I have gone as far as i can go.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:47 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Did Leon ever say anything about a solution to the dead heat counting?

Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:51 pm
Group 1 winner

Moliets_Surfer wrote:
Did Leon ever say anything about a solution to the dead heat counting?

No Have not anything on the subject since last season

Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Quote:
Agree incredibility competitive probably the most competitive ever I really thought id bought my
flat team forward but other trainers have zoomed by me and left me behind I have tried everything
taken it as far as I can go and next season should there be 1 more season of So6 they will be cast offs
I really dont have the stomach to spend a ton of time just to make a minuscule of improvement.
im concentrating on the jumps side and the bars and already began work. Have trialed nothing yet but
have improved some of the bars also added in 80% jump speed. I know i can make the difference on the
jumps side maybe big improvements. Where as with the flat i really believe I have gone as far as i can go.

I doubt you have gone backwards Paul, it is just that more people have taken on board the methods applied by the top tier and caught up, and given we all play the same game on the same code, more trainers have hit what I agree is a zenith with as far as you can take breeding against said game code. At this point it feels to me it really comes down to luck, luck of the ck, the break, the ai jockey etc. If my horse hits top speed a fraction before yours, as there more than likely statically the same you won’t catch me. This gets played out more and more, it is just now there are more trainers in that mix. Where you do see more degrees of freedom is in the longer distances where it is harder to breed through bars, likely why there is more single horse dominance in these races. Racing style also is becoming increasingly important as a differential, and perhaps some of the stats that often get over looked, though the margins are I think increasingly small.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:18 pm
Group 1 winner

Plundered some flat handicaps and now feel dirty, must go back to getting beaten in graded races :)

Couple of NH wins, ‘Time to Kill’ continues to look a bit special and nicks a G1.

Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 pm
Group 1 winner

1 winner in each code

Prime Suspect
3rd on debut 2nd last week and this week broke his maiden tag in the
3 mile listed hurdle looks a solid sort not sure he is world hurdle material
though

Another poor effort from the flat team one of the few stars in the team
Air Wolf shone again thats 2 wins from 3 starts and he is now a listed
winner

Congratulations to the winners and placers & to Thunder for your 2000
Guineas victory

Thanks to the team
great comms & shows as always

Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

2 winners on the flat for me today;

Wuchang Grassor thought my 1m2 horses were going to be decent this year but they'd pretty much disappointed, this horse was my 4th choice, but did get well in the handicapp after falling out the stalls on it's first run, might well be thereavouts in slightly higher graded races too though.

Cenxi Cariosus I really like this at home, pretty much my best sprinter but it massively disappointed first time out trying to front run, think it can run a few decent races this year.

Vinny

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:48 am
Group 3 winner

Just when I complained I got a win!! Aldgate Put in the hunt. So good to finally break my maiden this season. :D

Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:55 am
Group 2 winner

A blank on the flat today but a great day over fences with 5 winners, a couple by a short head.

Should you be disapointed with winning a race?

The best Grand National horse I have ever bred, Northern Shore, has won the last 2 weeks in 4 mile plus races. She is now rated at 160 and now probably has no chance in the National. After falling in week 1 in a 4m 2f race, maybe I should have "bent the rules" and run her in a couple of 3m 2f races the last couple of weeks. Ah well, hindsight is a wonderfull thing. If I have got time next week, since breeding National horses takes ages, I might see if I can get a decent replacement uploaded after week 5 but I think Northern Shore was a bit of a freak as she was bred from two 3 mile horses.

7 winners so far this week over fences. I think the softer going this week has really helped my horses.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:50 pm
Group 1 winner

Wannabe wrote:
A blank on the flat today but a great day over fences with 5 winners, a couple by a short head.

The best Grand National horse I have ever bred, Northern Shore, has won the last 2 weeks in 4 mile plus races. She is now rated at 160 and now probably has no chance in the National. After falling in week 1 in a 4m 2f race, maybe I should have "bent the rules" and run her in a couple of 3m 2f races the last couple of weeks. Ah well, hindsight is a wonderfull thing. If I have got time next week, since breeding National horses takes ages, I might see if I can get a decent replacement uploaded after week 5 but I think Northern Shore was a bit of a freak as she was bred from two 3 mile horses.

7 winners so far this week over fences. I think the softer going this week has really helped my horses.

3m2?

surely a national horse has to run at least at 3 miles 6 I know the distance rules for national
horses are somewhat relaxed but surely not by 1 mile 1 furlong that would be ridiculous and
certainly open the door to some shady dealings so far i dont think either of my national horses
have run under 4 miles

Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:38 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Wannabe wrote:

Why replace it? Sure, get a second horse to compete in the National with it but don't replace it - test it out - see if it has the class to carry the weight.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:02 pm
Group 1 winner

can we confirm what is the minimum distance a national horse can compete over if its 3M2 i think
that opens a big can of worms not having a pop at anyone Jim's post has brought light to this and
he has raced his horse over the correct distances but id he was able to run his national horse over
3m2 thats just crazy you could enter a national horse in a 3m2 maiden 2 handicaps and each time
would get hopelessly outpaced most likely pull up and would most likely rated under 100.

I had the same issue as Jim last year bringing back the national winner the season before but ran
him in the national that was the only reason to bring him back

Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
can we confirm what is the minimum distance a national horse can compete over if its 3M2 i think
that opens a big can of worms not having a pop at anyone Jim's post has brought light to this and
he has raced his horse over the correct distances but id he was able to run his national horse over
3m2 thats just crazy you could enter a national horse in a 3m2 maiden 2 handicaps and each time
would get hopelessly outpaced most likely pull up and would most likely rated under 100.

I had the same issue as Jim last year bringing back the national winner the season before but ran

I was under the impression that you had to have run over 4 miles to qualify for the national and assumed that the horse still had to have a distance marker of at least 29f as it is a handicap.

The same thing that is happening with your horse Jim is what happened to my Ettrick Mill last season when he won the same 2 races your horse did this season. I couldn't get him in to any races at all after that until the Cheltenham Festival.

I can understand that Gray needs to handicap horses on ability but giving a 4 miler a rating so high effectively rules it out of the season. I mentioned this in my commentary and would never enter a horse in that Florence Nightingale race again if it had already won. If it is already a winner of a maiden so has been given a high mark Gray has no alternative other than to put it up again nad then there are no races it can run in as it handicapped out either my weight or the distance marker

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:16 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

I was under the impression that you had to have run over 4 miles to qualify for the national and assumed that the horse still had to have a distance marker of at least 29f as it is a handicap.

The same thing that is happening with your horse Jim is what happened to my Ettrick Mill last season when he won the same 2 races your horse did this season. I couldn't get him in to any races at all after that until the Cheltenham Festival.

I can understand that Gray needs to handicap horses on ability but giving a 4 miler a rating so high effectively rules it out of the season. I mentioned this in my commentary and would never enter a horse in that Florence Nightingale race again if it had already won. If it is already a winner of a maiden so has been given a high mark Gray has no alternative other than to put it up again nad then there are no races it can run in as it handicapped out either my weight or the distance marker

Its a Grade 3 that is why it goes up a big raing i could make it a G3H next season this would stop the hike up in ratings but you end up going for the grade 1 at Cheltenham the Paul Moorse Race you will end up top weight in the ratings get rid of Group races above 3m 5f ?.

Gray

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:02 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

simpleminds wrote:
Lordedaw wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Its a Grade 3 that is why it goes up a big raing i could make it a G3H next season this would stop the hike up in ratings but you end up going for the grade 1 at Cheltenham the Paul Moorse Race you will end up top weight in the ratings get rid of Group races above 3m 5f ?.

Gray

That's what I said Gray !!

We all know you have no choice other than to put it up a chunk if it wins a G race. Last season I didn't realise that most of the 4m+ races are 140 or lower … don't suppose it will ever effect me again to be honest as I doubt I will ever get another one that high.

Maybe make the odd Moores Qualifier an open rated to allow the higher rated horses a run. There are usually 2 a week, maybe one could be open and one could be 120 in some weeks. As I said doesn't really effect me this season but was just trying to show Jim that he wasn't the first to have had that happen. I believe John has had it happen too and wouldn't be surprise if Paul, Leon and Joshua had as well.

I am sure no one want to see horses unable to race for 9 weeks of the season so maybe the MM races can be used now and again to get these horses a legitimate run.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77 ... 120  Next