View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 120  Next
 Weekly Reaction 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Weekly Reaction
simpleminds wrote:
Lordedaw wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:
can we confirm what is the minimum distance a national horse can compete over if its 3M2 i think
that opens a big can of worms not having a pop at anyone Jim's post has brought light to this and
he has raced his horse over the correct distances but id he was able to run his national horse over
3m2 thats just crazy you could enter a national horse in a 3m2 maiden 2 handicaps and each time
would get hopelessly outpaced most likely pull up and would most likely rated under 100.

I had the same issue as Jim last year bringing back the national winner the season before but ran
him in the national that was the only reason to bring him back

I was under the impression that you had to have run over 4 miles to qualify for the national and assumed that the horse still had to have a distance marker of at least 29f as it is a handicap.

The same thing that is happening with your horse Jim is what happened to my Ettrick Mill last season when he won the same 2 races your horse did this season. I couldn't get him in to any races at all after that until the Cheltenham Festival.

I can understand that Gray needs to handicap horses on ability but giving a 4 miler a rating so high effectively rules it out of the season. I mentioned this in my commentary and would never enter a horse in that Florence Nightingale race again if it had already won. If it is already a winner of a maiden so has been given a high mark Gray has no alternative other than to put it up again nad then there are no races it can run in as it handicapped out either my weight or the distance marker

Its a Grade 3 that is why it goes up a big raing i could make it a G3H next season this would stop the hike up in ratings but you end up going for the grade 1 at Cheltenham the Paul Moorse Race you will end up top weight in the ratings get rid of Group races above 3m 5f ?.

Gray

No No No No No No NOOOOOOOOOOOOO. Why bred a stayer just for the National, I don't get it. if u don't want a high rating then don't go for the best races, im more than happy running in them and find out who the best stayer is, I finished second and whatever weight I get im happy with. The game is about finding out who's the best horse at any one distance . :twisted: :twisted: And not trying to get as low a weight as possible for the national.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:12 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree John.

And yes Martin been there too my national horse last season was second to you twice I think and went to around 150 without actually getting a win and saw very little action after that, top 3 Paul Moore’s and too heavy for the National, though I remained pleased he stayed competitive regardless of weight. So much so same nag is likely coming back due to the silly 7yo rule now.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:01 pm
Group 1 winner

Anyho back on tack for this thread.

Fairly standard final day on the flat with bugger all to shout about. And a single win on the NH, with a stack of bad rides for me etc etc. Jim’s got the magic touch this week it seems.

Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:31 pm
Group 1 winner

really good finish to the week with 1 winner yesterday and 3 today the best of which was infamous fred scoring by 4 1/2l though on a down note my 2yo sprinters are truly awful and will be culled in week 5

congrats all runners

Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:41 pm
Group 3 winner

After a horrible first two days finally i managed some good performances for day three.

3 wins on the flat with the highlight being Favourite Son grabbing the win in the Kentucky Derby .

I blame my poor race choices for the early bad results because i didnt just not do well in many races this weekend, but in many cases finished at the rear of the field.
So i will be looking more closely at my race selection for week 4 as i continue to learn another aspect of league racing.

Thanks to all the League Team and runners.

Oh and i think the Race Day intro's for the flats are a fantastic addition to this season! :)

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:18 am
Group 1 winner

Gray - maybe make some notes about what can be done for these four mile+ chasers for next season.

Should we debate about introducing stand alone qualifying races for the GN only? I understand it doesn't mimic real life - but in terms of making things easy for yourself with handicapping and fairer for trainers.
We do have the space to add extra races so why can't we have one race a week that is over 4+ miles that all GN hopefuls enter. For the purposes of debate let's say all GN runners need to start in three of these races - this gives you a good form line to rate the horses for the GN only, Gray. Doing it this way allows any of the horses to compete in any of the established chase races and they are not penalised for the GN. TOM will have the normal ratings and you can keep a record of the GN ratings which you can publish in the forums from when the first lot of horses have had their three runs.
I guess the big thing would be that for the GN all the ratings would have to be manually entered - I have no idea if this can be done and I do understand it would be a lot of extra work for yourself.
If we were to go down this track we would also need to work out how these extra races would need to be set up - how they are to be rated - would we need two races per week....2 maidens the first week or two then a maiden and open race for the following weeks?
It would be good if we could get a nice even spread of weights for the GN and not a handful of top weights and then the rest of the field on bottom weight.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:27 am
Group 1 winner

After a disappointing trip to France I drew a Blank over the sticks
Just one winner today but a very very good one

Editorial
Made all to win the Sydney Cup Group One my second G1 of the season
he was so brave and really stuck on well to see everything off not sure where
I go with him now but its job done G1s are going to be a rare commodity for me
this season.

A mention for Margret Court drawn widest of all in the Kentucky Derby (16th)
hampered late on but ran a cracking race finishing 5th she just needs a bit of luck.
Congratulations to Jango on winning a classic your rise is amazing.

Well done to all the winners and placers
again thanks to the team
Great comms and the shows are really warming up nicely getting more detail as
we go they make the week IMO.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:35 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

Another blank today on the flat. Very few of my horses even placed. It just shows how competetive the flat is this season. I thought my flat horses were going to be ultra competetive this season.

Another good day over fences with 3 winners today and several other nice runs.

This has been an amazing week over fences with 10 winners this week. Definately think the softer ground helped and the fact that in the first two weeks my horses underperformed and had good handicap ratings for this week.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:37 am
Group 1 winner

I am not sure why we are again discussing doing something special for the grand national, best horse gets highest rating carries top weight, if it is good enough to win fine, if not also fine. We do not need special qualifiers or side ratings for one race, especially since for the most part the best horses avoid the lottery and go for Cheltenham. You happen to have a great 4m then for that race it should be weighted accordingly. Just as it is for the other big handicaps on the card, or should we have special ratings for say the coral cup too?

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 am
Group 1 winner

I don't think we need special races I knew when I sent Great Mac to the Grade 3 last week if he won he would be 160 I have two National horses and I think most trainers do I hope to keep the one away from Grade Races and stick to Handicaps and the Moore's to get races in them again it comes down to Trainer Management and that is the league either you want to manage the horse for the national and by pass all the Grade races or you manage for the grade 1 at Cheltenham.

Gray

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I am not sure why we are again discussing doing something special for the grand national, best horse gets highest rating carries top weight, if it is good enough to win fine, if not also fine. We do not need special qualifiers or side ratings for one race, especially since for the most part the best horses avoid the lottery and go for Cheltenham. You happen to have a great 4m then for that race it should be weighted accordingly. Just as it is for the other big handicaps on the card, or should we have special ratings for say the coral cup too?

Slightly irrelevant post here by me but thought a few might find it of interest. In real racing the handicap marks of the horses entered in the Grand National are frozen at the stage when the weights and final entries are published, usually around mid February. This means that none of the performances at Cheltenham effect the mark, thus enabling a healthy ante-post betting market. In years gone by the handicapper kept a separate handicap for the Grand National. Also right into the late 70s early 80s it was commonplace for almost half the field to carry overweight, thus making a mockery of the handicap anyway. If you watch some of the old extended footage available on youtube you will see this. Even horses most of us older people may remember as National stalwarts regularly carried huge amounts of overweight. Spartan Missile went off 8/1 fav in 81 despite carrying overweight and having a 54 year old amateur jockey in John Thorne. Another regular amateur was The Duke of Albuquerque who rode his horse Nereo several times and almost always put up over a stone of overweight !

https://www.grandnational.org.uk/2018/0 ... icap-2018/

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:27 am
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

I'm glad my front running chasers are doing well, the limited time i've had to breed them I spent on turning most of my chasers to be front running, I love real life front runners. I held out using Greenbank park until I could find a good horse and i'm glad I got it right, he has a lot to live up to after being my best ever jumper in SO5. I only noticed last night he's by my female horse My Princess Jane, she has ran some weird races so far by running very wide in her 2 races.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:30 pm
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
I'm glad my front running chasers are doing well, the limited time i've had to breed them I spent on turning most of my chasers to be front running, I love real life front runners. I held out using Greenbank park until I could find a good horse and i'm glad I got it right, he has a lot to live up to after being my best ever jumper in SO5. I only noticed last night he's by my female horse My Princess Jane, she has ran some weird races so far by running very wide in her 2 races.

Youtube 'Vo Rogue' classic Aussie front runner.

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:04 pm
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

Slightly irrelevant post here by me but thought a few might find it of interest. In real racing the handicap marks of the horses entered in the Grand National are frozen at the stage when the weights and final entries are published, usually around mid February. This means that none of the performances at Cheltenham effect the mark, thus enabling a healthy ante-post betting market. In years gone by the handicapper kept a separate handicap for the Grand National. Also right into the late 70s early 80s it was commonplace for almost half the field to carry overweight, thus making a mockery of the handicap anyway. If you watch some of the old extended footage available on youtube you will see this. Even horses most of us older people may remember as National stalwarts regularly carried huge amounts of overweight. Spartan Missile went off 8/1 fav in 81 despite carrying overweight and having a 54 year old amateur jockey in John Thorne. Another regular amateur was The Duke of Albuquerque who rode his horse Nereo several times and almost always put up over a stone of overweight !

https://www.grandnational.org.uk/2018/0 ... icap-2018/

Well i was closer to reality than i could have realised lol

Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:05 pm
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:
ghosty wrote:

Youtube 'Vo Rogue' classic Aussie front runner.

That was great , if I ever get a front runner on the flat i'll name him :D :D What happened to the trainer , died of some horse disease !!!

Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 120  Next