View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 2:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 120  Next
 Weekly Reaction 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Weekly Reaction
leonvr wrote:
When I took over the league we changed the top trainer to prize money and not wins to prevent top trainers hunting wins in lower graded races. Looking at the comments this season I think next season we should go back to prize money as the deciding factor for the championship.

It really doesn't matter as a top trainer if you give lower rated races a miss then as the prize money won't really impact on the championship push. There was a vote and it was decided to go for wins but I do think we should have a new vote on this as exactly what I said would happen is happening. Obviously we can't change things this season, but it really needs to be looked at for next season.

As a push to be top trainer you really have to run your horses in every feasible race now where as before you could give loads of races a skip, which is fairer on the lower ranked trainers. After listening to all the moans this week the exact reason why it was changed to prize money is relevant again. At present you can't fault trainers for entering their horses in every race, but if its prize money then you can as some of the lower graded races don't have enough prize money to have a bearing on being champion trainer. Maybe we should open a new vote on this

It was a pretty one sided vote if I remember alot of people wanted it changed to wins because the flat trainer
was always crowned champion after Dubai if you had a good Dubai you could not be caught.

For me i like everything to be as realistic as possible and in real life its totally based on Prizemoney so I would
have nothing against going back but beware as it could ruin the flat season if you have a bad meydan some may
throw the towel in this is what caused the discussion for the change in the first place tough call.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

2 festival winners the pertemps final and the grand annual both Handicaps I thought Trumpton may be to good and he was so up in grade to take on Shylock at Aintree disappointed that my Gold Cup Horse fell but at least it got over a few unlike poor Pauls horse falling at the first that must of been a horrible feeling after all that trialing to fall at the first.

2 Good winners on the flat Crash Bang Wallop winning a group 2 and Hollywood Legend taking the big William Hill Gold Cup Sprint in all not a bad week but I wish I had better horses so I will be back breeding between seasons for the jumps and get back to somewhere near I was last Season.

On the Prize/Win if you got a full stable then you going to use the horses to run in most races i try and find a race every week i know John picks and chooses where his horses run and Ground conditions to me it will always be wins that count i try and beat my best wins tally not Prize Money.

But i don't mind it going back to prize Money at least we know top trainer by week 2 :lol: on the Flat and top Jumps Trainer at least would have to wait for week 11 and the Grand National Meeting i will look into adjusting some Handicap Ratings at the Festivals add a few Hunters Chase earlier in the season and even add a selling 0-90 race on the jumps like i have with the 0-70 on the flat.

Gray

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:49 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Id say the grand national winning trainer will more than likely be the champion trainer
over the sticks its miles clear in terms of prize money

Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:54 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I had no issue with Viva Los Barbados.......I'm just disappointed I didn't get to call it's win :-(
It felt like I called it in a lot of it's races and it did catch my eye from the start because of it's name and because it was PJ's and it didn't perform like one of your horses.
I would be interested in seeing it's bars - I have had a few horses now with very decent bars that just don't seem to perform in my game. Head scratching at times!

Maybe have two prizes - one for most wins and one for most prize money or most wins as the runner up prize.

I also believe that some trainers would win a lot more races if they placed their horses better. Martin took a leaf out of my book this week and bypassed the big races and entered his flat team according to their ratings and what a Cheltenham carnival he had - proof's in his pudding and there is plenty left to taste as he's been on the gas celebrating and too hung over to eat anything sweet besides a greasy mash up :-)

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:16 am
Group 3 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Id say the grand national winning trainer will more than likely be the champion trainer

As someone who doesn't go after any of the titles i think there are pro's and cons in whatever u go with, u only need to win the national and french gold cup and u could just about win the trainers title. If someone is desperate to win the title then u could just aim for those two races. I think we need to integrate the two in some way, im not sure how but im sure someone can come up with something.

Congrats to everyone at the festival , well run and some great competition in the top races and to Leon and Paul. And Martyn and Doug u are a pair of stars. I'm glad i got over my diseases, seconditis :lol:

I won two races on the last day at the festival but the best/favourite win was Coigach, my favourite horse i've ever breed and even though she'll be on the downside at 6 she'll be back for another season. It was also nice to see Nibbs Point win a group 1, she was breed a year ago and its nice to see she was still good enough. I do think we need a rule to bring back 5 horses from the season before, it will make it a better league plus if they are not good enough then u can change them in the window. Leon i hope u bring back u gold cup winner.

I finally won something, the tipping competition . I wish i could tip like that in real life and Stu send my prizemoney to porthcawl i'm running out of money fast. :lol: :D I think I need to go back being a flat trainer :lol:

If anyone needs me i'm down the beach. :D :lol:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:19 am
Group 3 winner

Holiday in Spain so didn't see the live streams. First of all, well done all winners and placers.
Meager week for me, no winners. But two agonizely close ones at Cheltenham. Glasgow Art beaten by a nose. Didn't think any of my horses had a chance, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Now I am crossing fingers for the internet connection to be good enough so I can enter horses for next week :D

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:42 am
Group 1 winner

Taunton wrote:
Holiday in Spain so didn't see the live streams. First of all, well done all winners and placers.
Meager week for me, no winners. But two agonizely close ones at Cheltenham. Glasgow Art beaten by a nose. Didn't think any of my horses had a chance, so that was a pleasant surprise.

Now I am crossing fingers for the internet connection to be good enough so I can enter horses for next week :D

Some where nice in Spain ?? agree about internet connection, if your not in a major city its shite! :lol:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 am
Group 1 winner

ghosty wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

I finally won something, the tipping competition . I wish i could tip like that in real life and Stu send my prizemoney to porthcawl i'm running out of money fast. :lol: :D I think I need to go back being a flat trainer :lol:

If anyone needs me i'm down the beach. :D :lol:

Carrier Pigeon on its way John, I said look out for the "lobster" on the beach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 am
Handicapper

Just count G1/G2/G3 wins for the competition!?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 am
Group 2 winner

A fairly quiet day 3 for me, a couple in the money on the flat and 2 more minor placings at Cheltenham (4 in total) plus 2 others in the money in the latter NH races.
Congratulations to Leon on the Gold Cup, winning the big 4 is an astonishing feat, I was really pleased with my 8th in the race (top 10 finish was my target).
Congratulations to all the winners and thanks to the amazing amount of work that goes into making it possible.
Onwards and upwards now to the biggest race of the lot this coming week and I could really do with a change of luck for that (I had a week full of falls and getting blocked) but I will probably be affected by Martin's commentary curse.
Martin could you please just ignore my horses completely in the National to give me some sort of chance :)?
Darren

P.S. Huge thanks to Gray and Leon for turning the sprinklers on at Aintree it is greatly appreciated.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:48 am
Group 3 winner

Anadin wrote:
Taunton wrote:

Some where nice in Spain ?? agree about internet connection, if your not in a major city its shite! :lol:

Costa Blanca, Altea. Nice place.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:26 pm
Group 1 winner

The final day of Cheltenham could not have started any better for me with Close Action winning the Kim Muir though I did turn the air blue when the jockey stopped riding the last 50 yards. Trance Nation produced an excellent effort finishing 3rd in the Grand Annual looking like he might win for a stride or 2 after the last. Dirty Den didn't get the best of trips in the County hurdle and ran better than his finishing position suggests and Guess Who ran ok for a long way in the Gold Cup, a bad mistake 2 out scuppered any chance of finishing in the top 6.
Away from Cheltenham Freebird managed to complete a race at the 4th attempt and won the Midlands National in style. She will go to Aintree next week and will have a massive chance if she stands up. Major Failure was another impressive winner for the stable in the Sea Pigeon Hurdle while Life Of Riley also ran a seasons best finishing 2nd in the Somerset National over a trip I thought was too far.

On the flat Dame Margot ran well in the Anglesey Hcap finding only Del's horse too good

Congrats to all winners and placers especially Leon on winning the big 4 races and thanks to Martin and Doug for the excellent comms.

Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:33 pm
Group 2 winner

8 winners !! Well, to say it was my best week ever would be something of an understatement. Whilst all eyes were on Cheltenham I somehow managed to plunder 5 races on Tuesday's flat card. Come Taste The Band, the Northern Dancer of my bloodlines took the Cambridgeshire in dramatic style. I can honestly say this one was planned ever since his first win earlier in the season as most of my horses seem better at 1f less than their best game distance in the league. 3 wins for CTTB now and if there are any more 9f races he might yet bag another. Purple Records a son of CTTB won for the second time in the nursery before 2 of my window horses won. Russian Foxbat for the second time in three weeks, last weeks step up in class didn't work, back to hcaps and she won well. Laughing Wolf was headed for the Leger or Doncaster Cup but a re-route saw him take a long distance handicap. Tilt at the Melbourne Cup on the cards for him. The almost unbelievably Mona The Groaner landed her second win of the season on the speedway track at the end. I also had some others run well in defeat Sunset Ride was placed again and Shadow of the Moon was placed in a G1.

Over the sticks it was my best week as well. Smoke and Mirrors taking the Vincent O'Brien at Cheltenham to give me a Cheltenham and Royal Ascot winner in my first season. I also had plenty placed who ran better than expected including Crazy Parachute who nearly lumped home top weight in the 4 miler. He will take his chance in the National. Also Next Edition who was running from a mile out of the handicap nearly won the Pertemps final. Away from Cheltenham two chase wins, my first all out chase wins as my other was a dead-heat. Days May Come won the Fakenham Silver Cup and Dancing Days took the SO6 Qualifier. Both were moved from Cheltenham races. Big shout to Doug for advising on placement as I would probably have only had 2 or 3 winners this week if had gone with the glory entries. Pained me not to have a runner in the Gold Cup !

Well done to Leon for becoming the virtual Michael Dickinson, great credit to John for not bleating about his poor form on first 2 days. Hats off to PJR for taking the ribbing in good part. Darren H, let us know what your best chances of the week are and we can get Doug or the new boy (!!) to commentate on them. And Darren T sorry for running into form and knocking you out of the cup. How did I end up in the semi final. Also thanks to Josh for keeping me on my toes with upside down filming and some creative angles. Wonder if my jockey is up yet from race 34 !!

Thanks to Stu and John for being on the previews and to Doug for staying up late to do them with me.

Who needs S07 ...... I'm just getting the hang of SO6 !!

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:31 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Taunton wrote:
Anadin wrote:
Taunton wrote:

Costa Blanca, Altea. Nice place.

Of course "Little Scandinavia" :lol: as "Little England" is Benidorm the Germans in Denia and most of South America in Alicante lol

Lovely place we go there often I am 30mins away to the south....

Watch out for the storms come late Thursday/Friday... :roll:

Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:20 pm
Group 3 winner

He he. Embarrassing I know, Anadin. :D
But we have gone with the flow this year. Was in Villajoyosa today. Thats maybe near you?

Is there any racetracks here?

Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1794 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 120  Next