View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Grand National prospects 
Group 2 winner

Post Grand National prospects
Here is a thread where you can all comment on your prospects (or lack of prospects) in the Grand National. This may help Martin if he is doing a preview.
Currently there are 31 entries although one is ineligible so 30 currently going to post.
The top weight is rated 164 so by my calculations anything rated below 134 will be running from out of the handicap. Currently only 5 horses are in the handicap.

I'll start off with my 2 nags as unlike previous years I am really pessimistic of my chances:

King Of Dubai (gamebred): Jumps soundly (5/5 completed starts), stays well and the ground is perfect. Has placed in his last 3 chases but at a much lower level and would appear to have no chance at the weights. The only plus is that at home he has trialled far better that any other National horse I have had and is considerably better than my 5th placed horse from last year.

Amore (gamebred): Jumps soundly (5/6 completed starts, PU in exception), stays well and the ground is perfect. Yet to earn a penny but was only 10 lengths of the winner (top weight here) in the Moores Million Grade 1 at Cheltenham so feasibly weighted on that despite being 44lbs out of the handicap! Almost certainly flattered by that and probably needs at least 5 miles so likely to just plod around at the back.

My tip is Hedgehunter, gets in very nicely with a low weight.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:12 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Grand National prospects
Zeena
4 races 1 win 2 places and 1 DNF impressive winner of the Jodami Maiden Chase
beating hedgehunter by over 5 lengths. Has too much weight to carry should she
get round she will do her self justice but our other horses has far more solid claims.

Coffee De London
Yards number one grand national hope he is much better than Zeena who is rated 150
so id say he is a 165 horses running off a 128 Rating. 3 starts to date 1 win 1 place &
a DNF Won the Moores Millions Stayers (Leg 7) this has been the target all along is going
to be joint bottom weight as he is rated 32 lbs below the top weight should he get round
has a very big chance very hopeful

Main Tip for other trainers horses
King Of Dubai Ii Darren Howells solid form with Coffee De london he could run a big race
Feudal Lord LVR at the weights looks very very solid a big chance and even though trainer
says he is the number two i think at the weights he has the better chance.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

I regretted not running Present Abbey so her son will run this time. No chance at the weights and seemed to fall a lot at aintree but will stay the distance.

Hedgehunter is my number one horse but seemed to fall a lot in my trials , he has a nice weight.

I'll go for last seasons Grand National winner Case Closed.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:59 pm
Group 1 winner

Just one runner for the stable Gareth Bale the stables Stayers are moderate over extreme distance but won a few Nationals in my game so should stay and well out of the handicap top 20 at best looks a wide open race I would be on Johns Struggle glory but weighted out of it and Leon horses must be respected and stu's Gamebred horses are very consistent I think Dansli blue will run a big one but I am going to tip FREEBIRD kevin Meenaghan horse if he gets around I tip top 4 at least.

Gray

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:24 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Ramses
Finished 6th in last season's race and runs off the same mark of 128 this time but thanks to the top weight will be out of the handicap meaning he will have 16lbs less weight to carry. He also ran and placed 3rd in the Moores Millions final over course and distance (rated 132). This season has been a bit frustrating just failing to qualify for another crack at the MM Final on a couple of occasions but has clealy shown a liking for the national course and stable expecting another big run.

Freebird
Some horses will make lots of mistakes and complete the course, she will jump well make 1 mistake and lose the jockey. Has only completed once this season but that was an impressive win in the Midlands National. If she does jump round and that admittedly is a big if, I will be disappointed if she is not in the places at least.

Tips
Hedgehunter will be tough to beat and Coffee De London has a big chance too. A couple of outsiders who might surprise are Svadilfari Svadilfari and Crazy Parachute.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 4:34 pm
Group 1 winner

Would be happy with a top ten finish with National Sensation. He should stay if his jumping maintains, would like to see him take it on around 4-6f out if he is to have an outside chance.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:30 pm
Group 3 winner

My horse Ankara will not scare anyone and I will be happy if he can complete the famous race. I will hope for a Foinavon and a melee at maybe Beechers and that he will be the only horse avoiding the pile :lol:

Good luck to everyone. I will watch the race in sunny spain with a glass of red.

Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:35 pm
Group 3 winner

dont think i will in top 5 this year
so top 5 for me is
1st Coffee De London Ii .. pj is on fire
2nd Hedgehunter .. legend who you know can win any race
3rd National Sensation .. josh again put him national so good chance
4th Freebird .. please dont fall lol
5th Dansili Blue ...2 season record no pull ups, never fell. 26th last year ...9yo now so better i think
lvr gor 2 good horses in this race but he put me off them with his comment lol ... leon deserves to win this
good luck to every one to this best race in horse racing history

Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:35 pm
Group 1 winner

Looks like we have a final field of 32

Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:38 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I'm not that confident.

Feudal Lord wants less cut in the ground and is off form.

Feudal Ghost is way better than Feudal Lord consistently about 15 or more lengths in trials so should still beat Feudal Lord, she has a lot of weight but the ground suits and she jumps well and will be running on at the end. She is a big horse, I seem to have bred the small horses out of my NH lines and they seem to be able to carry weight better. The small horses just can't win with big weights, and they pull up or fall more often

I'm going with Case Closed to win it again ( the 3 hurdle prep runs have been ok), to win as a 5YO it must be something special and has no weight

Dangers are Hedgehunter, Beltane and Dansili Blue.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:13 am
Group 1 winner

Anyone know how the weights are going to works

Top Weight 12st
Bottom Weight 9st 13lbs

so anything rated under 139 carries 9.13 at a guess

If This is the case my tip is HEDGEHUNTER only be carrying
2lbs more than the bottomweights

Get on :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:14 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Libranno, probably wont make the course again, but stays well although, tends to be better over 4m, no real chance with the weights as he is in the handicap proper unlike 27 other horses :wink:

Dansili Blue, a few mentioning him here, thank you, ex flat horse and as I stated stays on his feet, but will get done for pace, cant battle against top trainers off the same weight. and really I have given it the kiss of death and will fall at the first :lol:

As a likely winner well a choice of 27 as nothing in the proper handicap is going to beat the lightweights, so I'll tip Beltane of David Robertson.

Good luck to all.....

Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:33 am
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Top Weight 12st
Bottom Weight 9st 13lbs

I think bottom weight is 9.12 Paul
Top weight (rated 164) will carry 12st and everything rated 134 or less will have 9.12.

I have the honour of running the race this season and hope to send the runners on their way around 4.30 this afternoon.

Good luck to all.

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:17 am
Group 3 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

Top Weight 12st
Bottom Weight 9st 13lbs

My two horses either ran in the top 3 of the races or would fall, these two horses .

These are the form figures over the course in my trials. U notice they fall a lot.

Good Ground - Struggles Glory 1F61FF141F3
Soft Ground - Hedgehunter 3FF2F2192F1

Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]