View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 The Grand Finale - Preparations for the last SO6 League 
Group 1 winner

Post The Grand Finale - Preparations for the last SO6 League
Thought I would get some noise started with an open thread for people to add their preparation and progress too.

Mine as follows:

Reasonably slow progress thus far with other time commitments I have only done three of my breeding cycles from my main U.K. games, just about to start the third trial. Development is not great with my horses remaining largely at the level of the last league crop, though I have made some breakthroughs with my 5/6f sprinters who were poor to average and my 2m+ lines who were G1/2 class, the latter group could be a handful on the flat. Slightly better news with my jumpers who have made progress at 2m and 2.4m, though my 3m+ group is still headed by last years Hennesy winner 'The Wraith' who at 7yo looks like my best Gold Cup hope. My national horses are utterly dreadful not been able to crack that or even replace 'National Sensation'.

Where I have had a little more success is with three experimental games, one in the USA one in Australia and one in Ireland, with some very stat focussed breeding from my UK stock sprinkled with some gamebreds. The US program has given me some of my highest potential 2/3yo's to date and they could, subject to trial, throw down the gauntlet to ghosty and the professor. The Australian game has some promise with a couple of derby distance types and the Irish raiders on the jumps also look nice on paper over 2m though stats mean little where jumping is involved. All three games are now deleted (too much work) but the lines are being injected back into my main UK games and with a bit of luck and the forebearance of she who knows best, I may get one final cycle cooked and trailed before the off.

Josh

Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:21 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: The Grand Finale - Preparations for the last SO6 League
Hi I hope everyone is well!!!

Sadly no flat horses this season, I had given up on them at the end of last season and luckily I wouldn't have had the time to breed any due to holidays and fun times with my friend :wink: :lol: .

Most of what spare time I've had has been breeding jump horses , I just finished my jump breeding yesterday and so I've got lots of time( need it due to more fun times :lol: ) to trial them , I have no idea how good they will be because I've been breeding front runners but hopefully one or two will be nice .

It will be interesting to be just a spectator on the flat and it's nice to see Steve comeback and hopefully some of u boys will give Paul a run for his money. :D :D

Gray what is the time table for the new season with the start date and mid winter break, I know im due to be going to the Aintree meeting on the 10 December and i'll be back and forth my friends a few times.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:29 pm
Group 1 winner

don't really know where I am as regards PJs but ive managed to improve my sprinters by some way tbf they were rubbish got some nice 3yo milers my 1000g winner 2 seasons back cant get in the 1st 8 apart from that have improved every distance except 1m4f though got a few weeks to churn out a few.

on a side note got a front running leger horse that chute (leger winner 2 seasons back)and chipmunk(multi G1 3 & 4yo)just can't get past in trials

sorry your not racing john as you always bring quality to the table,be nice if scatters the godfather of SO turns up.

Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:12 pm
Group 1 winner

Well that looks like a spectacular waste of effort, trials at 2yo and 3yo done and very little from the US/AUS stat breeding program makes the grade, only a handful from 60+ horses will go forward for the final trial, largely the fillies, even though they are vastly superior on paper to my trial bred UK team.

Let's hope the Irish lot can jump........

Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:50 am
Group 1 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:

Sadly no flat horses this season, I had given up on them at the end of last season and luckily I wouldn't have had the time to breed any due to holidays and fun times with my friend :wink: :lol: .

Most of what spare time I've had has been breeding jump horses , I just finished my jump breeding yesterday and so I've got lots of time( need it due to more fun times :lol: ) to trial them , I have no idea how good they will be because I've been breeding front runners but hopefully one or two will be nice .

It will be interesting to be just a spectator on the flat and it's nice to see Steve comeback and hopefully some of u boys will give Paul a run for his money. :D :D

Gray what is the time table for the new season with the start date and mid winter break, I know im due to be going to the Aintree meeting on the 10 December and i'll be back and forth my friends a few times.

Come on John it says on the front page when the final declarations are for the first week in Days Mins and seconds :lol:

Gray

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

I have 600 horses ready to jump trial at the moment and no flat yet.

Gray

Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:52 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Fun times ahead :)

My total pool on this round is 1125 but I am being extra vigilant as this lot is probably going to be the team of donkeys, cart horses and old puffers.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:18 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Well that looks like a spectacular waste of effort, trials at 2yo and 3yo done and very little from the US/AUS stat breeding program makes the grade, only a handful from 60+ horses will go forward for the final trial, largely the fillies, even though they are vastly superior on paper to my trial bred UK team.

Let's hope the Irish lot can jump........

I Feel u pain because I've only had the last month to breed due to commitments and my hurdlers have failed to improve, it can be frustrating when u get to a certain place because its hard to improve them.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:34 pm
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:

Come on John it says on the front page when the final declarations are for the first week in Days Mins and seconds :lol:

Gray

I really wanted to know the Christmas break , im not going to be around every weekend Gray.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Fun times ahead :)

My total pool on this round is 1125 but I am being extra vigilant as this lot is probably going to be the team of donkeys, cart horses and old puffers.

Could not do it at least the way i do it you do 1 distance at a time i could not bare to do all my trials in one go
what a nightmare Example I breed Sprinters then trial then breed milers and trial so it gets well split up your
not doing too much of the same thing all the time anyway best of luck for the season Josh.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:44 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

We will have 5 weeks the break then kicks in that's why we got to start on November 17th so we have the two week break over Christmas.

Gray

Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:37 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Quote:
Could not do it at least the way i do it you do 1 distance at a time i could not bare to do all my trials in one go
what a nightmare Example I breed Sprinters then trial then breed milers and trial so it gets well split up your
not doing too much of the same thing all the time anyway best of luck for the season Josh.

Not sure that would work for me, my lines are too often mixed and matched so I often find my horses are at their best 2/3f outside preferred distances. Mass trials are ok, though the 2m jumps take forever. Best of luck to you also, think we will both need it, Martin has been awfully quiet.

Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:51 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Quote:

Not sure that would work for me, my lines are too often mixed and matched so I often find my horses are at their best 2/3f outside preferred distances. Mass trials are ok, though the 2m jumps take forever. Best of luck to you also, think we will both need it, Martin has been awfully quiet.

Second season sires always struggle :lol:

BUT Martin broke the mould last year odds on to be champion trainer

Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:00 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
Quote:

Second season sires always struggle :lol:

BUT Martin broke the mould last year odds on to be champion trainer

SO6 has taken a back seat for me for a while as my Mother died a few weeks ago and I also started a new (proper) job. Funeral was yesterday so hopefully wil get back to the game in the next week or so. Will try and get together with Doug and Stu over the next couple of weeks to do the All-Star races and a guide to the league.

I am probably about 3 seasons on from the end of the last league so unlikely to be any great improvement. Most of my team are likely to be returners. So no chance whatsoever of being champion trainer !

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:53 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

My deepest sympathy and sincerest condolences Martin so sorry to hear that stay strong my friend
thinking of you at this difficult time

Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:21 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next