View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Do You Find The Construction Kit Frustrating 
Group 2 winner

Post Do You Find The Construction Kit Frustrating
I don't know if it is just my horses or it is a general trend, but I have been conducting some final flat trials and find the results of races in the construction kit very inconsistant.

I have most of my flat team sorted but was trying to improve my 2000 Guineas horse. I ran a trial with the best 2 horses from a previous trial plus 10 new horses. Now before I explain further, it could be all the horses are either crap or all fantastic, but this is what happened.

I ran 8 trial races and had 8 different winners. When I am trialling, I only take note of horses finishing in the first 5 places in a race. The most consistant horse had a record of 2nd, 3rd, 1st, 2nd. The trouble is he finished about last by about 7 lengths in the other 4 races. This trend was the same for all the horses in the field and I have noticed a similiar trend when conducting trials over other distances.

Do you find the same things in your trial races or is it just inconsistancy with my horses?

Because there was no horse clearly better than the rest, I ran another 4 trial races. The best horse above did win one of the extra trials and finish 4th in another race, but didn't feature in the first 5 places in the the other 2 races whereas a horse that had only a 3rd and a 4th in the first 8 races won 2 of the extra trial races.

It is seems that if you run enough trial races, every horse will eventually have its day.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:03 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Do You Find The Construction Kit Frustrating
Seems your horses have all equal quality. It's a little bit frustrating when this happens.
When something like this happens in my trials I try some extreme ground conditions like heavy or firm, run the race one furlong +/-.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:47 pm
Group 1 winner

I am doing my jumps I find them more consistent that the flat I did last week Jim but you are right I am running 8 race trials on the jump

2 Heavy Ground
2 Soft
2 Good To Soft
2 Good

And in the three Distances I have run so Far 2m Hurdle, 2m 2f, 2m 4f Hurdle

The horses that won the first race on Heavy also won on good Ground and all 3 qualified first in the trials on Points which begs the Question does Ground Matter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:59 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

simpleminds wrote:
I am doing my jumps I find them more consistent that the flat I did last week Jim but you are right I am running 8 race trials on the jump

2 Heavy Ground
2 Soft
2 Good To Soft
2 Good

And in the three Distances I have run so Far 2m Hurdle, 2m 2f, 2m 4f Hurdle

The horses that won the first race on Heavy also won on good Ground and all 3 qualified first in the trials on Points which begs the Question does Ground Matter. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

I also have my doubts about ground condition, although all my horses have a full bar for going\surface adaptability. I trial my jumpers on heavy and good and I don't see any difference. Again with my flat horses, I trial on soft and firm and see little difference.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:13 pm
Group 1 winner

I Love it when you know you have good horses and something new comes in and dominate the trials
that happend with Dougs Fuzzy Screen during the window it makes life a whole lot easier

stick with the plan highest point scorer is your horse for the league

Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:39 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

It’s a total crap shoot, the results in the construction kit are all over the map and I have very much the same problems. It is certainly in part due to hitting a certain level and all horses are at this level about the same (8-10 per age and distance that I simply cannot split on average) though there are also degrees of freedom based on the way the other horses run the race, some dominate small fields but cannot get close when in larger fields and some the exact opposite, some cannot corner or time there run on a bend on certain tracks so fail here as they get blocked, different track and free run and there unstoppable, some need a front runner, some desperately don’t and when they force the pace themselves are monsters.

I have been tinkering with my team for weeks now, trying to create all sorts of race conditions and average out the results, I have concluded it is not worth the trouble and mostly picking my team on gut and based heavily on overall consistency rather than wins, the horses who are normally there or thereabouts in various race condistions are coming out on top right now.

Last edited by Githyanki on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:26 pm
Group 1 winner

As for ground, in my view it does matter, but the margins are small and other factors seem to make a bigger difference, but I definitely have soft ground stars who fold on good.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:31 pm
Group 1 winner

And from the original post on the horses being 7L back in some races, my theory here is that they stop riding/racing at certain points, jockey comments sometimes confirm this, but sometimes not, but if you watch when this happens the jock seems to have sacked it off or the horse does. That said as a rule I don’t like or include horses who give it up, I have derby candidate right now, he either wins or comes last, very little in between.

Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:19 pm
Group 2 winner

At last I can see the plus point of the game crashing and setting me back 5 seasons.

I haven't got time for all this poncing about trialling.

I will just have a couple of evenings next week racing the new ones against the old ones.

New ones win they are in ..... old ones win they come back ..... simples !!! :lol:

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:40 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Sounds utterly sensible :)

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:33 am
Group 1 winner

I have been done for over a week or so avoiding temptation to do more was tempted
to trial my 1m2 2yos in Epsom Classic Trials but thank god im busy with my book and
putting 2 yearbooks together besides I want to see Winx go close in the Oaks

Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Ok quick question.......

When doing the nightmare trials, does everybody use the "filter" option to separate your horses in the CK, or trial everything distance wise (within reason of course)

I do not keep sprinters, middle distance etc. apart when breeding, so I have all together...

Thank you in anticipation of all your kind replies :wink:
Stu

Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:56 am
Group 1 winner

Personally I just chuck them all into the mix, others i know use filters. My rational for doing them all at once is around distance preference having 1.6m horses who are at their best over 2.4m. This can be missed by pre trial grouping etc.

Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:15 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Personally I just chuck them all into the mix, others i know use filters. My rational for doing them all at once is around distance preference having 1.6m horses who are at their best over 2.4m. This can be missed by pre trial grouping etc.

Cheers Josh, that's added another 10 hours of my life to the game lol :wink:

Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am
Group 1 winner

As a rule I do 2/3f either side increasing to 4f+ when the trialing 1.6m+. On the jumps I always go 4f but only upwards so the 2.4f horses run at 2.4 and 3m I do not trial them at 2m

Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:32 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next