View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Meet the Flat Team 
Group 1 winner

Post Meet the Flat Team
Likely a lot more interesting for me than anyone else really looking at the breeding of my horses and how frequently the same lines have delivered the goods. May give the coms team some info on review shows.

Flat Team

Team has had a reasonable amount of work put into it, though I am not expecting ground breaking improvements from last season. In addition to 4 UK breeding cycles this team has benefited from some experimental breeding from my US and Australian stable expansions; the US breeding especially has pushed the team on at 2yo and 3yo. Targets will be to better the 3 G1 wins I had last season and the 29 overall flat wins.

The 2YO’s

The Mountain – 5f Colt

Sire – Rock Hound – 1 Handicap win last season
Dam – Bound for Eternity – No league form

Been in contention for a long time now and his lineage is a little like walking down memory lane, his sire has league form and on both sides of his breeding he has my first full speed sprinter ‘Legend’ and my first full potential 3yo filly ‘Silk Negligee’. Is a pure 5f horse who will have aspirations at group level and chances in the handicaps.

The She Beast – 5f-6f Filly

Sire – Release the Beast – No league form
Dam – Heart of a Beast – No league form

One of the many end products of a project to improve my sprinters, her lineage on both sides includes ‘Release the Beast’ who was a break through sprinter and the result of bringing some cruising burst in from my jump lines via In Estate of Decline, G2 winner over fences in the last league. ‘The Mountain’ and ‘Legend’ also have a part in her, giving range from 5f to 6f. Another who has group aspirations and real chances in the handicaps.

The Beasts Arrived – 6f Colt

Sire – Release the Beast – No league form
Dam – Damaged Goods – No league form

This late trial entrant, who took the place provisionally assigned to another, is again part of the sprint improvement project sired by ‘Release the Beast’ the other side features a number of team candidate sprinters and again can be traced back to the speed breeder ‘Legend’. Targeting a group win for this colt, and with many other horses with like ability waiting in the wings he’ll need to deliver on that to stay.

Wish I Was in Dixie – 7f Colt

Sire – Acid – No league form
Dam – Attraction – No league form

Breed in the US stables and has some nice pedigree in his lineage that hails from a game breed offspring ‘Release Scarlet’ who helped yield a line of full/high potential 3yo’s. His sire ‘Acid’ was several generations on from this and had some fine stats on paper, true also of his dam ‘Attraction’ both came very close to earning a team slot. He is a genuine 7f horse of whom I have group aspirations, may even contend with the very best.

Cometh the Beast – 7f-1.1m Filly

Sire – The Windy City – No league form
Dam – Shesa Animal – No league form (in the Jumps team)

Another one from the US stables, this girl shares some common lineage with others in the team which from her sire ‘The Windy City’ includes both ‘Release Scarlet’ and ‘Release the Beast’ in addition to my 3YO Oaks prospect ‘Colour of Money’. Her dam ‘Shesa Animal’, who looks like my best 2m chaser, has a mixed flat/jump bloodline, where I have been mixing stats, that includes two G1 winners from last year’s league ‘Mocha Latte’ and ‘Law of Consequence’. She will be my Filly Mile horse and will also see racing at 7f. Really think she is group1 class.

Its A London Thing – 1m Colt

Sire – Werewolf of London – No League form (in the Flat team)
Dam – Pegasus – No league form

Off the back of the US stable a number of horses were imported into the UK stable where this chap was breed, though his lineage is all from the US side. His sire ‘Werewolf of London’ threatens to be a top-class miler in the 4yo+ team; with breeding that includes ‘Cometh the Beast’ & ‘Tarasque’ both in the team this season and ‘Alabama’ one of my breakthrough US horses. His Dam ‘Pegasus’ who just missed out on a slot, shares ‘Alabama’ & ‘Cometh the Beast’ in her breeding in addition to another league team horse ‘Hippogriff’. Has G1 class written all over him and will target the Racing Post Trophy at Doncaster.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:25 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Meet the Flat Team
The 3YO’s

Touch of Class – 6f Colt

Sire – Needs Confidence – No league form
Dam – Mustgo Faster – No league form

One of the few horses that succeeded in trial who does not have a long pedigree in his lineage, indeed his sire is only one generation removed from a game bred, perish the thought :), coupled with a flawed breeding mare. His dam was also a stock breeding horse, but does have some pedigree from ‘Release the Beast’ a constant feature in my new generation sprinters. Named as he has all the bars in all the right places, but not expecting a world beater, should compete in the handicaps and have an outside chance of a group challenge.

Burn Hollywood Burn – 1m Filly

Sire – Nik of Time Napalm – No league form
Dam – Case Dismissed – No league form

Very old mixed lineage in this horse, with nothing that really instils confidence. Maybe just one of those magic trial horses or the horse that denotes how poor my 1m 3yo’s are this go around. Her sire does include ‘The Mountain’ several generations back and a few horses who held places in earlier trial cycles. Her dam is a collection of failed jumpers but with a light connection to my full potential 3yo line. She will go into the 1000 Guineas but with little in the way of expectation, and could find herself facing retirement at the window when the 3yo frenzy is done.

American Road Trip – 1m Colt

Sire – Acid – No league form
Dam – Potential on Offer – No league form

Another from the US barn, sired by ‘Acid’ who has very high potential in his lineage from ‘Release Scarlet’. His Dam was a breeding mare with flaws, but bags of potential, corrected in this breed but she also has some top-class horses behind that many of whom flirted with a team slot. Fought for his place from strong competition from a number of horses to win his chance for the 2000 Guineas, will likely run in the first group and will on occasion front run, prospects in group company and will hopefully mark what I think is a general improvement in my 3yo colts.

Deadly Drop Bear – 1.2m Colt

Sire – Wolf Lord – No league form
Dam – Rainbow – No league form (in the Flat team)

The only member of my team to make it from the Australian barn, though his breeding from his sire is directly from the US stable and features ‘Werewolf of London’, ‘Alabama’ and ‘Tarasque’ two of which make the team this year. His dam, ‘Rainbow’ who is in the 3yo team for the St Ledger, is also no more Australian having a much older lineage that goes back to the last league and includes a splattering of jump breeding, specifically including last year’s Arkle winner ‘Stay Another Day’ and my top staying flat horse who nearly snatched a G1 ‘Duracell’. Is somewhat boom or bust in trial, and is at his best when he takes it on early, the boom is a good few lengths ahead of the other trial candidates and will go for the Prix Du Jockey Club at St Cloud. Should offer a group class challenge.

Colour of Money – 1.4m Filly

Sire – Colour Me Curious – No league form
Dam – Niknak Paddywhack – No league form

Another with a fairly old lineage and again something that could mark a lack of progress for my 3yo Oaks candidates. Her sire ‘Colour me Curious’ was measured against last year’s G1 winner ‘Pumpkin’ and there was nothing to split them, behind that we are looking at breeding that is two league seasons old. Her dam is from a like time period, but does feature G1 pedigree in the form of ‘Mocha Latte’ a G1 winner from last season’s league. Will be my Oaks horse, after a last trail change saw her eclipse the previous incumbent. On paper will not be in the same time zone as ‘Winks’ from the Rhodes yard, but seems to punch above her weight in trial, could be a dark horse.

Fusion of Monsters – 1.4m Colt

Sire – Fusion – No league form (in the Flat team)
Dam – Kraken - No league form

For a while now my 1.4m horses have flatlined, this breed which merged the old with the new was an attempt to break the cycle. His sire ‘Fusion’ who is in the 4yo+ team is a strong 2m horse whose breeding was a jump flat mix with G1 pedigree on the jumps side from dual 3m hurdle winner last year ‘Sympathy for the Devil’. His dam nearly made the team at 7f to 1m, very high potential horse with a lot to like in the lineage including ‘Cometh the Beast’ ‘Tarasque’ and ‘Alabama’ who have had a hand in many good horses. Will take on the Derby, but is another who is a bit boom or bust, depending on how we runs, like to see him in the top 4, with an early break for chances. Group pedigree.

Rainbow – 1.6m Filly

Sire – Colour me Curious – No league form
Dam – Stay Another Day – G1 Jump winner

Been knocking on this door for a long time now and is one of the much older horses in my team in terms of lineage, ‘Colour me Curious’ her sire is a constant feature and measured well against proven G1 class horses. Her dam ‘Stay Another Day’ won last season’s Arkle though was also a respectable 2m stayer in trial, the rest of the line is mixed jump and flat ‘Duracell’ being the only one of note. Will stay for the St Ledger if she proves herself in the early season trial else maybe on the cutting room floor come week 5. Handicapper maybe group class.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:26 pm
Group 1 winner

The 4YO+

Fine on Paper – 5f Filly

Sire – Heartbreak Kid – No league form
Dam – Texas Cowgirl – No league form

Never been especially strong at 5f with my horses, but the extra team places and the general improvement in my sprinters, see me adding one for this season. ‘Release the Beast’ and ‘Release Scarlet’ feature on both sides of her lineage, usually a good indicator with my sprinters, and whilst her sire was disappointing, her dam, who was US bred, was a league team horse right up until the last trial. Not expecting group class, likely a solid handicapper but may surprise.

Randolph Scott – 6f Stallion

Sire – The Beast Ranch – No league form
Dam – Kraken – No league form

At the end of my project to improve my sprinters came this chap from the US stables, his sire is unsurprisingly connected to ‘Release the Beast’ and flirted with a league team slot right to the last, his dam ‘Kraken’ has had a hand in other team horses, nearly made the team herself and has a stack of top class breeding in her including team entrants ‘Cometh the Beast’ & ‘Tarasque’. So, hoping this is the horse that marks my arrival at group level for 6f sprinters, time will tell.

John Wayne – 6f Stallion

Sire – Randolph Scott – No league form (in the Flat team)
Dam – Scarlet Release – No league form

With a little time on my hands having selected my first team, I ran a quick breeding cycle using the best of them and created this chap. Sired by ‘Randolph Scott’ above with a dam who though she failed to deliver herself has all the right breeding markers in lineage ‘Release the Beast’ & ‘Release Scarlet’. Has a little more range than his sire and will take on 5f as well as 6f. Another who may very well mark a move of my sprinters into group class.

Werewolf of London – 1m Stallion

Sire – Alabama – No league form
Dam – Tarasque – No league form (in the Flat team)

Without question the finest 1m horse I have bred, and one from my US stable, though some of his offspring are there or thereabouts also. Sired by ‘Alabama’ who set a new standard at 1m with ‘Cometh the Beast’ being only one generation back his lineage. His dam ‘Tarasque’ who will partner him in the 1m class this season, is the result of a flat jump mix breed has G1 class from ‘Law of Consequence’ 2 generations removed, and two other team entrants this year. Is at his best when he front runs, rarely gets caught, but has a lazy streak and can be known to languish in the gates. Group1 class, I am sure of it.

Tarasque – 1m Mare

Sire – The Beast – No league form
Dam – Legal Framework – No league form (in the Jumps team)

The result of a jump flat mix breed, usually it takes a few generations to iron out the ripples but this girl went straight in as a flat horse. Her sire is the flat side of the breeding, having ‘The Mountain’ and last year’s G3 league winner ‘Breed the Beast’ involved. Her dam ‘Legal Framework’ is a team entrant over fences and was herself a jump flat mix from my full potential 3yo line and G1 winner over fences ‘Law of Consequence’ two seasons back champion hurdle runner up ‘Chess’ is also linked to this side of her breeding. Fairly consistent performer who likes to be held up and challenge late. Has group prospects and may flirt with G1.

Hippogriff – 1.2m Gelding

Sire – Napalm in the Morning – No league form
Dam – Feeding Trolls – No league form

Very old looking lineage for this chap who will be an option horse for 1m to 1.2m in the league. His sire was a 1m horse who did his best work at 6f, with a lineage that again includes ‘The Mountain’. His dam was a solid 1m girl with league pedigree from 3 horses who all featured last season ‘Chocolate Brownie’ ‘Princess Nina’ and ‘Ubbe Ragnarson’ all of whom had league wins. Good flat speed in the last 3f and usually leaves it late to challenge. Could have group prospects.

Chain of Causation – 1.2m Filly

Sire – Midway Monster – No league form
Dam – Another Lost Cause – No league form

The breeding for this girl is not especially impressive, though is one of those perfect mixes where the best of both comes through into the foal. Her sire was a breeding horse with very high cruising burst, but no trial form to speak of, but go far enough back and you will find ‘Mocha Latte’ last season G1 winner and this year’s Oaks horse ‘Colour of Money’ in the breed. Her dam is a US bred full potential 3yo, who was otherwise a flawed horse, but from the mix this girl gets the best of both. Can be a little hit and miss, but the hit is impressive and if she gets it right on the day has group potential, perhaps even G1.

Shade – 1.4m Stallion

Sire – Fusion of Monsters – No league form (in the Flat team)
Dam – Colour of Vanity – No league form

The lineage for this chap, who was the result of a last gasp bit of breeding, is next to perfect. His sire Fusion of Monsters is in the team as my Derby horse and looks class. His dam ‘Colour of Vanity’ very nearly joined the team herself and was breed from team entrant ‘Vanity’ and ‘Colour me Curious’ who has had a hand in most of my good 1.4m horses, going further back the quality persists with previous league G1 winners and others in the team for this year. Did not expect the horse he replaced to be beaten, will cut his teeth in G1 races from the outset.

Vanity – 1.4m Filly

Sire – Requires Patience – No league form
Dam – Colour of Money – No league form (in the Flat team)

Tale of two halves for this US bred girl, her sire is a breeding horse who was somewhat flawed with slow to develop potential, though far enough back ‘Release Scarlet’ can be found but most of the line was about getting a front runner, a trait she has largely inherited. Her dam on the other hand has fine pedigree from ‘Colour of Money’ who is in the team as my Oaks horse. Will see action at group level and maybe given a shot at G1.

Fusion – 1.6m Gelding

Sire – Sympathy for the Devil – 2x G1 winner
Dam – The Right Mix – No league form

Very old lineage in this horse, was a line I had abandoned until recently, could of course mark that his is just not very good, but I think he may very well be a star. His sire was a dual G1 winner 3m hurdler from last season, connecting further back in breeding to last year’s group class stayer ‘Duracell’. His dam ‘The Right Mix’ was the direct product of two G1 winners last season ‘Pumpkin’ and ‘Mocha Latte’. Will tackle the 1.6m races but may offer some of his best work at 2m. Likes to loiter until about 8f out before taking it on with very decent closing speed. Group class I am sure of it.

Run You Down – 2m Mare

Sire – Pawnee – No league form
Dam – Punishing – No league form

Another last gasp breed, who again was a mix of old and new. Her sire ‘Pawnee’ lost his place in the team to her after my last trial and hailed from my US line with high potential for a stayer coupled with some front running traits. Her dam is very old brought back into contention for my last breed, but the pedigree is there from G1 winner ‘Mocha Latte’ and group class stayer ‘Duracell’. Could be the best of my 2m horses, though there is not much between her and ‘Fusion’ G1 class I think.

New Jack City – 2.4m Gelding

Sire – Fearsome – No league form
Dam – Stay Another Day - G1 winner

Last but certainly not least, this long-distance stayer is one of my favourite horses in the flat team, breeding has all the right markers in it, with ‘Duracell’ on both sides of the bloodline from both sire and dam, and his sire ‘Fearsome’ was no mug either. His dam ‘Stay Another Day’ was a G1 chaser from last season, very respectable flat stayer also. Will loiter around the back, often last for most of the race, usually looking utterly disinterested, but come the last 4f and he turns into a sprinter, has awesome speed in the closing. G1 horse, Ascot Gold Cup the target.

Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Great read Josh :-)

Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:10 pm
Group 2 winner

Great stuff. I wish more people did this kind of thing.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

My flat team is always an afterthought but here is my bunch of lowly handicappers.

5f Durex Me Up

Sire Kenchester (league winner)
Dam Phillipines

The unfortunately named filly is back for a second season. Won the AW final 2YO last season and will aimed at finals day again this year. A mark of 71 may be too steep at the start of the year though.

6f Jerez

Dam Leintwardine

Newcomer who is not at the same level as my other sprinters which probably means a fruitless year

7f - Samkenny

Dam Lady Sambury

Dominated the trials so quietly confident of winning a decent handicap prize

1m - All Outta Love

Sire Hereford (poor maiden league horse)
Dam Anestasia

This is usually a fiercely competitive division so will need very low grade races

1m2 - Mansell Lacy

Sire Amoure Medici
Dam Solomon Islands

Back for a 2nd season off the basement mark of 50. Worryingly he won the trials again

1m4 - Much Marcle

Sire Napoleteno
Dam Leste

In game superstar, another weak distance for me over the years

1m6 - Berger

Sire Alonso
Dam Micronesia Schumacher

NH bred who only narrowly got through the trials, little confidence

2m - Shelwick

Sire Alonso
Dam Triggerlo United

Another NH bred horse coming back for a 2nd season. Still a maiden and a mark of 73 probably needs to drop before breaking that tag

2m4 - Pixley

Sire Mexico (former NH league handicapper)
Dam Rien Ne Vas Plus

The stables best distance but now multiple winner Lyonshall has retired. Pixley dominated the trials and hopefully he can be just as successful

5f 2YO - Kimbolton

Sire Kuwait
Dam Taiwan

Beaten by horses better over further so nothing expected. Making up the numbers

6f 2YO - Freddo

Sire Prince Freddie
Dam Leintwardine

This could be my best flat horse in years. Easily won trials from 5f - 1m so fingers crossed so he can figure in some pattern races

1m 2YO - Peterchurch

Sire Hereford (Poor maiden league horse)
Dam North Korea

2nd to Freddo in the trials. Intrigued to find out as good/poor she is

1m2 2YO - Herefordian

Sire Hereford (Poor maiden league horse)
Dam Casting Call

Easily beaten in the trials by Pipe and Lyde who goes jumping. Can't see anything other than a poor maiden by week 13

Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]