View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 NH distance issues 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: NH distance issues
Oooh....Controversy :lol:

Its the same old adage between realism and the league, there is many things we follow to add realism and then, many things we follow because its a game.

The GN in my opinion is one race we should follow a little more of the realism not necessarily what suits the game, 5yo's for a start, I am sorry, but it made a mockery of the GN two years ago imo, although all our fault for allowing 5yo's to enter. I banged on about this age thing, but of course many were happy as 5yo's suit their breeding programmes better, which I understand. (we don't allow any other age changes to such important races, at least I do not think so. Lets have 4yo's in the Derby :wink: )

If you win a maiden and get rated 150/155 I do not see how Cafe De London is only rated 144 (sorry Paul) for winning the big one :? :? :?

I'm pretty sure it won off 9'st 12lbs last year (both 2nd & 3rd giving it at least a stone, horses that were rated on maiden runs or one win over 4m)

IMO, Cafe De London cannot be rated lower than a maiden winning horse whether a new entry or not, If it won off 110 and has to go up 40lbs then so be it (you either want realism or game-ability, realism it would not of been allowed to enter, game-ability it has to be rated the top 4m horse)

It should be rated better than any other 4m horse that season, full stop! If 144 is the top horse then we cant go giving 150 to maiden winners, can we ?

If I say something stupid now or in the future, it’s better to be able to point out, that the stupidity is mine, and mine alone. :D

Last edited by Anadin on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:15 pm
Group 2 winner

Willing to give anything a go, better try these things in S06.

As my horses aren't great they'll be running over close to the max trip anyway. I do see where you're coming from with the better horses. Even if they do drop in the handicap mine will still be out of the handicap in the national :lol:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:16 pm
Group 1 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:

I've been here from the start and I still have no idea about these rules :shock: :shock: I still cant work out if my Northern Bay can run in the welsh national next week. :? :?

You and me both :lol:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:19 pm
Group 2 winner

Whoops , didn't expect to start a big conflab but its good that we have as now is the time to discuss whilst we are all here. Not suggesting any changes are made mid season either. I am talking for next season.

With regards to Ettrick Mill I am not complaining about his handicap mark. I am actually quite chuffed that I have one so high.

What I am pointing out is that with the distance rules in place any horse that gets a high mark has no races to run in as the 4ms are mostly capped at 140 or the horse fails to qualify on distance.

Therefore you have to do one of a number of things. Either:

1. Relax the distance parameters for handicaps
2. Put in extra races over long distances which they can run in
3. Not handicap long distance so highly in the first place.

To have a set of rules in place that result in a horse not having any option to run competitively for weeks on end surely can't be beneficial to anyone.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:20 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

follis86 wrote:
Willing to give anything a go, better try these things in S06.

As my horses aren't great they'll be running over close to the max trip anyway. I do see where you're coming from with the better horses. Even if they do drop in the handicap mine will still be out of the handicap in the national :lol:

Perhaps we need a national type race the week after for horses rated 110 or lower so they can win a big one. A Grand National Hunter Chase over 4m4.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:21 pm
Group 2 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:
Lordedaw wrote:
My opinion on the NH is that we have to take into account quite a few people struggle with all the terminology, qualifications process, eligibility etc as they may not follow NH racing or not even have it in their homeland.

I would propose 3 very simple and straight forward changes to make everything better for all.

1. Distance rules for handicaps 4f either side with an upper limit of 3m 4F

2. All Novices races to be 4 or 5yo only. With either every other race to be open to all or open horses to be 6yo + whatever the majority decide. The main reasoning behind this is that a lot of people get confused about what they can run in and in truth the Novice system doesn't work in a league where the majority of horses only run for one season.

3. Either do away with NHF as they are usually won by 1m flat horses anyway or not start them until after the window and allow only horses that haven't won a hurdle or chase race to enter.

Those three simple changes would all make things easier, more exciting and I think would encourage more people to partake as in truth the NH is where people are more likely to have some success initially.

I've been here from the start and I still have no idea about these rules :shock: :shock: I still cant work out if my Northern Bay can run in the welsh national next week. :? :?

This is my point John You have been here since the start and follow NH racing very closely yet even you can'rt work out if your horse is eligible. So what chance has someone like Daniel (Carl Arrogante/Taunton) got when he comes from a country with no NH racing. We have to make it simpler and more streamlined and thus more all emcompassing.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Quote:
If you win a maiden and get rated 150/155 I do not see how Cafe De London is only rated 144 (sorry Paul) for winning the big one

Gray,

Was not seeking to have a pop at you for handicapping, know it is an impossible and thankless task, above is really the point I made badly that opened this whole can of worms in the first place. And whilst this does not makes any different for 2m - 3m horses where options to run at netural weights are plentiful going forward, for anything 3.4m+ a maiden win is a killer, that leaves next to nothing to enter from day one.

None of this is aided by the fact we trainers have a much better grasp of our horses ability than the handicappers will ever have, Eight the King, does not get anywhere close to the horse he replaced, 'The Wraith' in trial, and was picked and entered specifically to be a mid tier handicapper, trust me on the 10 length win, I am more shocked about that than anyone, it is not even his best distance. He'll go in the Welsh National under top weight most likely and if he finishes top 6 I'll eat a hat :) (rather hoping he is not a racekit freak now)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:29 pm
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:
Lordedaw wrote:
My opinion on the NH is that we have to take into account quite a few people struggle with all the terminology, qualifications process, eligibility etc as they may not follow NH racing or not even have it in their homeland.

I would propose 3 very simple and straight forward changes to make everything better for all.

1. Distance rules for handicaps 4f either side with an upper limit of 3m 4F

2. All Novices races to be 4 or 5yo only. With either every other race to be open to all or open horses to be 6yo + whatever the majority decide. The main reasoning behind this is that a lot of people get confused about what they can run in and in truth the Novice system doesn't work in a league where the majority of horses only run for one season.

3. Either do away with NHF as they are usually won by 1m flat horses anyway or not start them until after the window and allow only horses that haven't won a hurdle or chase race to enter.

Those three simple changes would all make things easier, more exciting and I think would encourage more people to partake as in truth the NH is where people are more likely to have some success initially.

This is my point John You have been here since the start and follow NH racing very closely yet even you can'rt work out if your horse is eligible. So what chance has someone like Daniel (Carl Arrogante/Taunton) got when he comes from a country with no NH racing. We have to make it simpler and more streamlined and thus more all emcompassing.

Martin I still have no idea how TOM works out u best distance :shock: :shock: I'm lucky in that I only run my horses over the distance they qualified in my game otherwise I would be all over the shop with them . I still don't get how u can run over all distances in group races compared to H'caps, I don't get that rule :shock: :shock:

The poor long distance Jumpers are the only horses that don't have enough races to run in, on the flat theres not many long distance horses and so there's not that many races to run in but every trainer will have 2 runners ( I have 4 this season :shock: ) over jumps because of the national and we do need more of them.

Last edited by ghostzapper74 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:33 pm
Group 2 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Quote:
If you win a maiden and get rated 150/155 I do not see how Cafe De London is only rated 144 (sorry Paul) for winning the big one

Gray,

Was not seeking to have a pop at you for handicapping, know it is an impossible and thankless task, above is really the point I made badly that opened this whole can of worms in the first place. And whilst this does not makes any different for 2m - 3m horses where options to run at netural weights are plentiful going forward, for anything 3.4m+ a maiden win is a killer, that leaves next to nothing to enter from day one.

None of this is aided by the fact we trainers have a much better grasp of our horses ability than the handicappers will ever have, Eight the King, does not get anywhere close to the horse he replaced, 'The Wraith' in trial, and was picked and entered specifically to be a mid tier handicapper, trust me on the 10 length win, I am more shocked about that than anyone, it is not even his best distance. He'll go in the Welsh National under top weight most likely and if he finishes top 6 I'll eat a hat :) (rather hoping he is not a racekit freak now)

This again highlights the distance issue. You can run your horse in the Welsh National Josh because your GN quailifying maiden was over 4m. Those of us that have been deemed as having our best run in the 4m2f maiden are not allowed to run ... its bonkers ... means we can only run in 3m7f + races or Group races of which there aren't any over a long enough trip until the Moores at Cheltenham (which is a made up race anyway)

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Please I give Ettrick Mill a rating of 136 after its debut win in a maiden Martin then ran it in a Group race and won I think a Rating of 150 was kind of kind and lenient :wink: Don't you Stu :lol: now I mostly give 140 as a benchmark for Maiden races be a 2m or 4m race sometimes it gets more when winning by 10 lengths Josh :wink: .

Now Paul's Horse Lets nip this in the bin rating it fell on debut which give it a automatic Rating of 110 he then ran second in a handicap before winning a Moore's Qualifier before winning the National I don't remember what it went up for winning the national but it gone from 110 to 144 winning two Handicaps you cant put the horse up more than its got just because it won the National every trainer should know or learn how to protect your horses rating Paul in my Opinion has done that if it had not Fallen on debut this may not be a problem if their is one which its not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:38 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
Quote:

Gray,

This again highlights the distance issue. You can run your horse in the Welsh National Josh because your GN quailifying maiden was over 4m. Those of us that have been deemed as having our best run in the 4m2f maiden are not allowed to run ... its bonkers ... means we can only run in 3m7f + races or Group races of which there aren't any over a long enough trip until the Moores at Cheltenham (which is a made up race anyway)

Martin its a sacred Race the Moores Millions named after one of the forefathers of the league.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:39 pm
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
Please I give Ettrick Mill a rating of 136 after its debut win in a maiden Martin then ran it in a Group race and won I think a Rating of 150 was kind of kind and lenient :wink: Don't you Stu :lol: now I mostly give 140 as a benchmark for Maiden races be a 2m or 4m race sometimes it gets more when winning by 10 lengths Josh :wink: .

Now Paul's Horse Lets nip this in the bin rating it fell on debut which give it a automatic Rating of 110 he then ran second in a handicap before winning a Moore's Qualifier before winning the National I don't remember what it went up for winning the national but it gone from 110 to 144 winning two Handicaps you cant put the horse up more than its got just because it won the National every trainer should know or learn how to protect your horses rating Paul in my Opinion has done that if it had not Fallen on debut this may not be a problem if their is one which its not :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gray

DQ Pauls horse and give it to the runner up :D :D I'll have a look to see who's the new winner of last seasons National wait a minute while I go look.............. Its Me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
Quote:

Gray,

You have a point Martin again only Leon can sort this out if we go forward with it as he deals with Tom.

Gray

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:43 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

Anadin wrote:
Oooh....Controversy :lol:

Its the same old adage between realism and the league, there is many things we follow to add realism and then, many things we follow because its a game.

The GN in my opinion is one race we should follow a little more of the realism not necessarily what suits the game, 5yo's for a start, I am sorry James but you made a mockery of the GN two years ago, although all our fault for allowing 5yo's to enter. I banged on about this age thing, but of course many were happy as 5yo's suit their breeding programmes better, which I understand. (we don't allow any other age changes to such important races, at least I do not think so. Lets have 4yo's in the Derby :wink: )

If you win a maiden and get rated 150/155 I do not see how Cafe De London is only rated 144 (sorry Paul) for winning the big one :? :? :?

I'm pretty sure it won off 9'st 12lbs last year (both 2nd & 3rd giving it at least a stone, horses that were rated on maiden runs or one win over 4m)

IMO, Cafe De London cannot be rated lower than a maiden winning horse whether a new entry or not, If it won off 110 and has to go up 40lbs then so be it (you either want realism or game-ability, realism it would not of been allowed to enter, game-ability it has to be rated the top 4m horse)

It should be rated better than any other 4m horse that season, full stop! If 144 is the top horse then we cant go giving 150 to maiden winners, can we ?

If I say something stupid now or in the future, it’s better to be able to point out, that the stupidity is mine, and mine alone. :D

It wasn't me Stu, it was James Shea. As if I could win the national :lol:

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm
Group 1 winner

I've always thought u should put the distance of the horse in tom then it can only run over those distances and so TOM wouldn't need to work it out for himself. It the trainer screws up then its their own fault.

Plus I know people don't like letting 5yo's in the national but that horse only won because he was very well H'capped , my horse ( finished second again ) gave him 19 pounds and that's why he won.

DQ that one as well ( to Young ) and I could be the winner of the last 3 nationals :lol: :lol: Where's my Trophies Gray :D :D

Last edited by ghostzapper74 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 pm
Reply to topic   [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next