View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Next Season 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Next Season
I think cup races is an excellent idea. I agree that its better With big money handicaps than degraded Group races. It should feel that you have the best horse if you win a Group race, not because the best horses are not entered.

And then I will wish for one Norwegian race, the Oslo Cup. That would be great :D :D

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:52 am
Group 1 winner

there are quite a few G1 Handicaps over 2 miles

The Adelaide Perth Sydney Auckland & Wellington Cups

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:18 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
there are quite a few G1 Handicaps over 2 miles

The Adelaide Perth Sydney Auckland & Wellington Cups

We should include either the Auckland or Wellington Cups.
I am from Adelaide and the Adelaide Cup isn't really a strong race any more but some extra 2 mile G1 hcps wouldn't be a bad idea.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:37 am
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
Hi Guys just a heads up I have no plans in any big change to the flat Schedule for next Season as I am going to go through the jumps in the off season adding some races Hunter Chases and 4m plus races if I change anything on the flat it will be small changes.

Gray

More low rated Hunt races was going to be my next suggestion. Just out of curiosity - are the Hunter Chase races open to Novices and Open rated horses?

It would be cool if we can chop some of the Aussie G1s for more lower rated races and some lower rated races as I and Jim have chatted about above.

I am happy to work out the new races for you Gray if you just want to concerntrate on the Hunt.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:43 am
Group 1 winner

No comment from me, the league is still recovering from the last time we debated such things. Just make sure the proposed changes are clearly outlined so people can pick teams to match.

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:30 am
Group 1 winner

Taunton wrote:
I think cup races is an excellent idea. I agree that its better With big money handicaps than degraded Group races. It should feel that you have the best horse if you win a Group race, not because the best horses are not entered.

And then I will wish for one Norwegian race, the Oslo Cup. That would be great :D :D

Sounds good to me :-)

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:59 am
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
No comment from me, the league is still recovering from the last time we debated such things. Just make sure the proposed changes are clearly outlined so people can pick teams to match.

this

ditto

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

simpleminds wrote:
Hi Guys just a heads up I have no plans in any big change to the flat Schedule for next Season as I am going to go through the jumps in the off season adding some races Hunter Chases and 4m plus races if I change anything on the flat it will be small changes.

Gray

Hi Gray

If you are going to concentrate on the NH schedule, how about looking at some of the distribution of races. e.g. week 9 of the hunt has 4 h'cap chase races over 2 miles. Races 11, 17, 25 and 32 are the ones in question. Do we need 4 similiar races in the one week. This is only one example. I have noticed similiar things in other weeks. Some weeks there are a lot of Group races and only a few h'caps and vice versa.

Jim

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:10 pm
Group 3 winner

Howdy

I have some suggestions from the perspective of a new trainer because well, i am one. :wink:
Disclaimer: None of my comments are criticisms, just suggestions.

I assume the chance to upload to TOM between weeks 5 and 6 will happen again in the next season.
If so i think its a great opportunity for new trainers to join the league and not have to wait months (and potentially giving up and never joining).

Thing is, when i joined for week 6 there were virtually no maiden events (4 out of 38 races) to earn a rating so i was left with only group races (Grp 2 and Grp 3) which seemed to result in a higher rating than deserved.
It would be nice if there were more races a new trainer with un-rated horses could enter, even just for week 6.
Perhaps the default rating of 75 could could count as an actual rating, allowing them to enter handicaps.
New trainers are unlikely to have a strong stable and therefore unlikely to "scoop the pool" with unraced horses.
This would mean they could enter handicaps rated from 0-80 and up to 0-110 which would bring the number of available races to 14.
Better still make the default rating 70 and that would mean there would be 17 instead of 4 available races in week 6.
As well as, or instead of, throw in some double entry races for Maidens in week 6 and 7 and they would be up and racing.

None of these suggestions will help me now but i'm thinking you would all like to see new trainers in the League encouraged to "hang in there".

The other suggestions i have is to update the League info "sticky" posts.
The "FAQ Online League" post has this link http://ukratimes.yolasite.com/frequently-asked-questions.php which no longer exists.

The "League Rules" post says the following:
"3. Handicaps - horses will be allowed in handicaps 2f either side of their best maiden run. If they have not run in a maiden then 2f either side of their best run. The exception to this is 2m + where horses will be elgible for 2f less than their best run and all races greater than their best run."

But it appears the rule is now applied slightly differently.....
simpleminds wrote:
Its taken from the first two Runs it says Maiden because when the rule was brought in week 1 was all Maiden races and most of week 2 was too the schedule has changed now so its the best run of the first two races a horse has so if your horses best run was 1m after two runs you are set on 6f - 1m 2f for the rest of the season.
Gray

For example, i entered a 5f horse in its first race at 7f Group 2, because it was the only race available. Now rated, i entered him in a 8f 0-110 believing he was a "7f" horse. He did better in the 8f handicap race and was subsequently not allowed to race at 5f anymore. :(
The rules in the post do not mention the best of the first 2 runs.

Please refer to disclaimer above :lol:

Cheers

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:56 am
Group 1 winner

All good fair points i think maybe having an extra weeks break during the season and fit in
maidens in both codes (Just For New Horses) would be a great addition called Newcomers Week.

week 1 to 5
3 week break
Newcomers day
week 6 to 13
Season lasting just over 4 months.

Newcomers Week Flat Newmarket good to firm
5f 2YO Maiden
6f 2YO Maiden
7f 2YO Maiden
8f 2YO Maiden
10f 2YO Maiden
5f Open Maiden
6f Open Maiden
1m Open Maiden
1m2 Open Maiden
1m4 Open Maiden
1m6 Open Maiden
2m Open Maiden
2m4 Open Maiden

Newcomers Week NH Cheltenham good to soft
2m Bumper Maiden
2m1 juvenile maiden
2m Novice Hurdle Maiden
2m Novice Chase Maiden
2m4 Novice Hurdle Maiden
2m4 Novice Chase Maiden
3m Novice Hurdle Maiden
3m1 Novice Chase Maiden
2m Open Maiden
2m Open Maiden Chase
2m4 Open Maiden
2m4 Open Maiden Chase
3m Open Maiden
3m Open Maiden Chase
3m2 Open Maiden Chase
3m5 Open Maiden Chase
4m Open Maiden Chase
4m3 Open Maiden Chase

Newcomers Week 32 races

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:16 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Just have to remember the first week back on the flat is Royal Ascot and there may not be enough room.
Martin was a big gun for having the flat break between week 6 and 7 - that might work better if we run a heap of maidens in week 7.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:09 am
Group 1 winner

We only have a break for two weeks if we are running the league over the Christmas Period the spring/Summer season has no 2 week break and good reasons for it I like my Holidays as do other League helpers and we try and finish the League before the summer Holiday Period (schools Out) in the UK.

There was a time that no uploads was aloud after the Season Started apart From Jango I don't think anyone I can think of Joined plus I don't think either that enough Trainers would Join after week 5 or are upload enough horses to have a week of Maidens.

We can Move when we open Uploads but if we move Earlier to after 4 weeks seems a bit early and after week 6 seems a bit late week 5 is best in my opinion and new Trainers just need to learn if joining after week 5 to treat it like a taster.

Gray

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:26 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Jango makes some interesting points.

I think extra maidens wont really work but I do like the idea of new trainers (first season) in the window racing their new horses in the hcps - that does make sense!
I think it could be open to new trainers who start at week one to run in hcp races for any new horses they upload in the window as well.
Of course any experienced trainer goes through the normal procedure of entering in maidens and G2 and G3 races.

Last edited by NPG319 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:49 am
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:
Jango makes some interesting points.

I think extra maidens wont really work but I do like the idea of new trainers (first season) in the window racing their new horses in the hcps - that does make sense!
I think it could be open to new trainers who start at week one to run in hcp races for any new horses they upload in the window.
Of course any experienced trainer goes through the normal procedure of entering in maidens and G2 and G3 races.

Sorry I disagree with you Doug :lol: if I got a sprinter that has been running since week 1 and got a rating of Say 90 and gets beat by a unraced 75 In the Wokingham Handicap I wouldn't be a happy chappie :lol:

Gray

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 3 winner

I also think Jango makes some interesting and valuable points. Some extra Maidens could help, but maybe more a guide that introduces the newcomers to the league and what to expect. I had to learn it the hard way last year, and I think even so I did pretty well. There was a lot of things I didnt understand, but I also expected that and wanted to use the first season as a learning season.

In regard to my results this season I think this counts as a learning season as well :lol: :lol:

I joined in week 2 last season and slowly but surely managed to enter my horses. I think most works fine, but newcomers need to know more what to expect and how things work. It can seem very confusing when you are and outsider to it. It is nice that you can upload after week 1.

I also think it is important to find the right balance in easing in new trainers and keeping it competetive for the rest.

There is so much that works well now, but I like these discussions and suggestions to further enhance the league and make it better.

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next