View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Advice on breeding for the League NH 
Group 3 winner

Post Advice on breeding for the League NH
Howdy

I want to breed some horses for the NH League next season and have a couple of questions.

Can i breed from my current flat chasers or should i start afresh with NH horses who have a much greater "best average dist"?
Is there an advantage to breeding NH horses in a Jumps game?

Cheers

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:21 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Advice on breeding for the League NH
Trial your flat cast offs could be some national hunt stars amongst them

anything over 3 miles you really need to breed from a jumps game

flat horse make good 2 milers 2 mile 4 and sometimes 3 milers but not much after that

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Personally I do not think you can breed real quality for the jumps game from flat game schedules. So your Australian game will only take you so far, i’d export your best into either the uk or Ireland and take it from there.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:39 am
Group 1 winner

I would also advocate a combined schedule over a pure jumps one, in my experience of both the jumps game sees less horses develop potential as there is nothing for them to do at 2yo, a key development year. Having them as 1yo’s is also rather useful.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:01 am
Group 3 winner

Ok great news, i really didnt want to start from scratch. :D

I guess the more stamina the better?

Thanks for the advice

Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:07 am
Group 1 winner

if you trial your flat horses it at least will give you a good starting point

My champion bumper horse Sir Alexander Graham Bell is purely flat bred and
he was very impressive last week so i cant totally agree with Josh even though
he knows what he is talking about as you can see from the trainers leaderboard
its good to get advice from different trainers.

Its a pitty that its no longer possible to transfer other peoples horses into your Ck
as yardsticks so you know where you are at

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

When I remember to do it I'll gallop trial all of my horses (flat game save) against each other at the end of each year in one big ol' trial race. After the trial your head lad will give you notes on a lot of your horses. Often times the head lad will tell you that certain horses will be better over jumps. I remember those horses and transfer them into a jumps game.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:26 am
Group 3 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Its a pitty that its no longer possible to transfer other peoples horses into your Ck

I only bred 5f - 7f horses for the current season so have no idea how the longer distance horses ive bred will compare.
So what ive started doing is looking at previous league races of various distances on YouTube and comparing the times to my trials.
Probably not ideal but its all ive got to go on.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 am
Group 1 winner

times are no good in so6 the times are quicker the quicker your pc is

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
When I remember to do it I'll gallop trial all of my horses (flat game save) against each other at the end of each year in one big ol' trial race. After the trial your head lad will give you notes on a lot of your horses. Often times the head lad will tell you that certain horses will be better over jumps. I remember those horses and transfer them into a jumps game.

good advice must admit i never thought of that

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Jango wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

I only bred 5f - 7f horses for the current season so have no idea how the longer distance horses ive bred will compare.
So what ive started doing is looking at previous league races of various distances on YouTube and comparing the times to my trials.
Probably not ideal but its all ive got to go on.

The lowest you can go is 1600m horses into the Hunt. Most of them will get 3200m over the sticks.
Some stayers on the flat will get 4800m in the hunt - I have cross polinated some English hunt horses into my flat team for cruising burst and that helps get 4800m or a little longer with the cast offs.
As others have said - if you want your horses to go further than that then you have to cross breed your flat horses with Grand National horses or the like.

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:35 pm
Group 3 winner

NPG319 wrote:
The lowest you can go is 1600m horses into the Hunt. Most of them will get 3200m over the sticks.
Some stayers on the flat will get 4800m in the hunt - I have cross polinated some English hunt horses into my flat team for cruising burst and that helps get 4800m or a little longer with the cast offs.
As others have said - if you want your horses to go further than that then you have to cross breed your flat horses with Grand National horses or the like.

Excellent! I intend to breed up to 2400m on the flat, there doesnt seem enough events further than that to make it worth the trouble.
So that should give me enough horses to at least have a play in the NH. :lol:
Looking forward to the next season.

Cheers

Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:52 pm
Group 2 winner

If you are going to start a jumps or combined game I would advise Ireland ahead of the UK. The schedule is easier to navigate if you aren't sure of the races. Less meetings etc so it isn't so daunting if you are new to it. You can still enter most of the big UK events like the Grand National as well. Also the big races are slightly later in the year so you have more time to figure out your best ones.

If you play the combined game, which I would also advise, you have more long distance 2yo races than in UK so you can get a couple of runs over 10f quite early whereas in UK game there are only a few at the back end unless you race on the AW. The flat and NH season ends are closer together as well so if you are importing in you can get 12 in quicker to kick start your breeding.

I have also found that cruising burst seems to be easier to obtain in Ireland but not sure anyone else can back me up on that so could just be my perception. It is also handy because we race quite a lot on the Irish courses so you can see how your horses go on those tracks.

I am no great shakes but manage to get a few winners in the NH by simply following real life breeding patterns. As I am sure you have figured out for yourself flat milers tend to make decent 2m hurdlers and middle distance horses 2 and half to three milers. For chasers I have found my distance horses the best to breed from crossed with as many long distance NH game horses as you can find in the breeding barn or at auction.

Also with a combined game, as Josh mentioned, you get to see the bars at 1yo as they will be at 3yo so you can spot the ones worth keeping. The CB goes down from 1 to 2 and then back up again at 3 to what it was at 1yo. Not sure why this happens but it does. I always cull at 1. However I usually sell them at auction rather than retire from game as if you let a good one slip away you can sometimes buy it back at auction or it may show up in the breeding barn so you can at least get one shot at breeding with it. One of the horses in my NH team this year is one that I initially discarded. The AI trainer sent it jumping and I managed to buy it back a few seasons later.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I retire from game as I got sick of feeding good horses to the AI way back before I really knew what I was looking for in jumpers I sold a stack of what turned into g1 chasers and hurdlers who beat the ones I kept :)

Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:26 pm
Group 3 winner

Many thanks for the advice. :D :D :D

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]