View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 This weeks flat 
Group 1 winner

Post This weeks flat
Load of handicaps, more if you add the finals week where the only horse I can enter is rated out, add the distance/age clashes and filly excess of the breeders cup and there is not a lot to do unless your in the lower tier. Maybe something to look at, more double entries would be some help. 15 of 25 can find a race this week.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:09 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: This weeks flat
unfortunately josh this is what happens when u hit the top end of ratings the prize is bigger but the runs are fewer you have to adjust your team to compensate when i work my breakdown of horses i take this into account i pick a team for the schedule. will give you a breakdown if you want

Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree with both sentiments this is a mid trainer week it appears with those with 80-100 rated horses and as Josh said if your not in the AW champs anywhere, its a tough week to get even half your stable entered.

That aside 15 Group races, 8 handicaps 0-95 (various) and 6 x 0-100 outside of the AW champs more or less, so actually an even spread across the board if not in the AW.

But I will say, maybe a few double entries wouldn't go a miss across the lot.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:36 pm
Handicapper

I have the same problem as well Josh i guess its the way it is!! Steve if you can assist me with a breakdown as to what is best around the schedule I'd be very grateful :)

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:55 pm
Group 1 winner

Understand all that, but with the theme of conversations this year that we need yet more handicaps for the lower tier and I am sure those with suitable stables think this is an ideal week, we’ll end up with the group races being won by the select few and a reversal of the overall wins. Anyone one who positions say 4-10 may end up with less wins than those below, despite having better horses.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:57 pm
Group 1 winner

yes mate at the mo with the current schedule and bearing in mind i target breeders cup this is what i do

all these are 3yos

1 x 5f pref filly turf

2 x 6f 1f 1c 1 turf 1 dirt

1 x 7f filly test on dirt

2 x 1m f test at ascot and newmarket

2x 1m c as above

1 x 1m1f filly test on dirt

2 x 1m2f 1f 1c test on dirt and turf

1 x 1m3f filly

2 x 1m4f f test at ascot & epsom

2 x 1m4f c as above

1 x 1m61/2f test at donc sex is irrelevant

1 x 2m any sex

4yos any sex

1 x 1m dirt

1 x 1m1 1/2f

1 x 1m2f dirt

1 x 1m4f trial at epsom and dirt as a good dirt runner usually goes well at epsom

2yos i tend to pick the best 3 over any distance

then at week 5 i upload

1 x 1m 1/2f dirt 2yo 1c

1 x 1m 1/2f dirt 2yo 1f

1 x 1m2f 2yo

2 x anywhere my stables lacking like this season it was milers

hope this helps

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:13 pm
Group 2 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Understand all that, but with the theme of conversations this year that we need yet more handicaps for the lower tier and I am sure those with suitable stables think this is an ideal week, we’ll end up with the group races being won by the select few and a reversal of the overall wins. Anyone one who positions say 4-10 may end up with less wins than those below, despite having better horses.

I can't imagine anyone has a suitable stable for this week Josh. Over either code. It is very unbalanced. Not sure why either because it should be pretty easy to set up, maybe it is because we try to cover too much around the globe. A 36 race schedule, min and max ratings and double entries with 12 Group races, 12 mid-high handicaps and 12 low-mid handicaps would make things so much more straightforward for everyone from stable formation right through to weekly management and make for much more competitive racing. If you haven't got G1 horses, haven't qualified for the AW finals and don't have a dozen NH 2 milers then this week you are basically (insert your choice of disallowed word here)

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:20 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I have 25 Flat Horses in my stable 20 horses Run this week 2 in one all weather final Race so would be 19 I would consider my self in the 4 - 10 in Trainers Flat although I might be below that at the moment I don't expect all my horses to run every week I could throw some into the breeders cup races I don't because I know they wouldn't have a chance I think I have entered 2 in the entire breeders cup.

A few years ago when you had KeithBeaky the bug bear was distances not being evenly spread each week it was given to me to sort it out so for months I had beaky point out what I was doing wrong or what was looking ok he would count and keep tabs how many groups how many 110 handicaps how many 0-90 handicaps put it this way he was a right pain in the backside but that what the trainers want evenly spread distances each week even number of Group races 0-110 handicaps etc etc etc. :D

Job Done Trainers Happy :D NO they where not enough Lower rated Handicaps back I go looking at the schedule plotting where to cut told we couldn't extend the races I invented the All Weather series That's it low tier trainers will love it low Rated handicaps for the boys at the Bottom so I did this Trainers Happy :lol: yea done it.

NO trainers not happy Doug not Happy peter not Happy larry not Happy have a Australian Carnival move Dubai to week 1 extend schediule I decide to double entries expand the races offer double entries everybody Happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No

Well go find some other idiot. :shock:

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:57 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
I have 25 Flat Horses in my stable 20 horses Run this week 2 in one all weather final Race so would be 19 I would consider my self in the 4 - 10 in Trainers Flat although I might be below that at the moment I don't expect all my horses to run every week I could throw some into the breeders cup races I don't because I know they wouldn't have a chance I think I have entered 2 in the entire breeders cup.

A few years ago when you had KeithBeaky the bug bear was distances not being evenly spread each week it was given to me to sort it out so for months I had beaky point out what I was doing wrong or what was looking ok he would count and keep tabs how many groups how many 110 handicaps how many 0-90 handicaps put it this way he was a right pain in the backside but that what the trainers want evenly spread distances each week even number of Group races 0-110 handicaps etc etc etc. :D

Job Done Trainers Happy :D NO they where not enough Lower rated Handicaps back I go looking at the schedule plotting where to cut told we couldn't extend the races I invented the All Weather series That's it low tier trainers will love it low Rated handicaps for the boys at the Bottom so I did this Trainers Happy :lol: yea done it.

NO trainers not happy Doug not Happy peter not Happy larry not Happy have a Australian Carnival move Dubai to week 1 extend schediule I decide to double entries expand the races offer double entries everybody Happy :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No

Gray - let me and Martin look at the flat for next season while you work on the Hunt - we will keep you and the league informed of our progress and post up in here for everyone to scroll an eye over.

We need to remember that some weeks don't suit everyone - there are weeks where i have entered flat horses in races that they had no hope - just to get a run but looking back at that i think it does more harm to my stable than good and have stopped doing that - probably the opposite of Josh in the hunt running top weights in hcps - his ratings go up or his horses have no real winning chance and mine have no hope at all and my ratings go too low.

The good thing is Martin and myself do have some very hearty debates about issues of the league over the phone - we are not always on the same page but we do hear each other out and nothing has every been personal. Just let us know some guide lines like if you want more double entries next season - stable size etc
All we need is the spreadsheet for this current season and we're off like a prawn in the hot Aussie summer sun!

Let me be clear - no-one wants your position, Gray but let us help you out so you are not over burdened.
We'll post up on here the new schedule which I'd image wont be too different to what we have and it's odds on that Josh, Jim and John's keen eyes will be all over it pointing out their opinions and thoughts if we have missed something and we will explain why we have set it out like that.

Now i am late for work.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:05 am
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:

Well I'm happy ( us welsh got to stick together) though I might be in love :D :D

Whats the saying , u can only please some of the people some of the time and not all the people all the time. The schedule is suppose to be different every week, whats the point of having the same every week . U not suppose to run every horse every week .

Gray there's nothing wrong with the schedule though im not happy because I picked the worst week to come back :lol: :lol:

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 am
Group 1 winner

wait til week 13 i have about 10 horses split over 7 races

with success comes less opportunity to run horses i was a little
surprised with the very few opportunities in week 13

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:45 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
wait til week 13 i have about 10 horses split over 7 races

with success comes less opportunity to run horses i was a little
surprised with the very few opportunities in week 13

I thought more G1s had been added to the final week than previous seasons?

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:19 am
Group 1 winner

I see three G1s have maximum ratings of 110 or 120 - so that would be of disadvantage to you top trainers. I would have liked it if The Everest was open to 2 entries and maybe even lift the minimum to 110 or 120 because a race like that should just be for the elite. I would even like it to be an invitation race but lifting the minimum would be good.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:24 am
Group 2 winner

Stable Breakdown

The top 6 trainers are well in front of the rest of the trainers if you just look at the number of winners, then there are 14 trainers with 9+ winners and 13 trainers with 5 or less winners.

If you look at Pauls stable, who is top of the log, he has probably got about 15-20 horses that are group standard and if you look at Stu's stable, who is is in the middle of the trainers log, he has 25 horses that are in the 0-100 h'cap category. A trainer at the bottom of the log has a stable full of 0-70 h'cap horses. With such a wide gap between the top and bottom of the table, you will struggle to get a schedule that pleases everyone.

If there are 36 races a week, 12 Group races, 12 x 0-110 h'caps and 12 x 0-80 h'caps, the schedule will always favour the middle of the log trainers. The top trainers will have too few races and the bottom trainers will have too few races.

We have tried to have some double entry races, but to please both the top and bottom of the log, maybe there should be more races at the top and bottom levels with more double entries.

What category of trainer is any new schedule trying to encourage. We want new trainers to the league to have a good experience but at the same time do you want to discourage those at the top.

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:29 am
Group 1 winner

Not too sure this is rocket science guys.

7 races up to 80
6 races 90
5 races 100
3 races 110
2 races listed
4 races G3
4 Races G2
5 Races G1

Of course you can have a mix of those, but should never be more than 18 races 110- above, or more than 18 at 100- or below, double entry 7 in each group and then everyone gets there 25 in, more or less.

I am prepared for this to be shot out of the water, but couldn't resist a comment :wink:

Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next