View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:24 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Realism 
Handicapper

Post Realism
I don't understand these new rules. A lot of these new rules don't make sense. Grade 1 races that have max rating?

What kind of logic is that? For Grade 1 races, you want to attract the best field possible, that's how it gets it's rating as Grade 1.

It's like having the Kentucky Derby and telling owners that your horse is too fast so we can't allow it to enter the race. And this is suppose to be more realistic?

The change of the Grand National to age 7yo+ was suppose to be about realism. Then we get this change and it's about non-realism? Does this make sense to anyone? Why is 1 about realism and the other is not?

Why not change it to G3H and have a max rating of 100? Increase the purse to a billion or give a new name and call it Grade 1A or something.

G1 races with max 100 or any limit does not make sense.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:01 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Realism
It was I believe an attempt to make some g1 races more accessible to lower tier trainers. But I am in agreement it makes no sense to me either and having won one last week, I don’t really consider it a g1 win.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:35 pm
Group 1 winner

The reason was we have 3 Group 1 6f Races The Everest is to have the best in the league Min Rating 100 the other two Max Rating 110 and 100 this was to give smaller trainers a chance at a big pot and to Stop the Top Trainer taking all 3 this was a experiment as was stated at the start of season although the double entries have been positive these max and Mins ratings less so so we might get rid of them Next Season.

Gray

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:27 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 3 winner

I agree. Dont make max ratings for group 1. Better with more listed or 0-110 handicaps.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 10:38 pm
Group 1 winner

Trainers using the ttf file to help breed league monsters thus rendering their own games as unrealistic as possible and then complaining about a lack of realism in the league :lol: :lol: You couldn't make it up!

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:15 pm
Group 1 winner

Kevcon wrote:
Trainers using the ttf file to help breed league monsters thus rendering their own games as unrealistic as possible and then complaining about a lack of realism in the league :lol: :lol: You couldn't make it up!

*mic drop*

I like the max rating group 1 idea. Us craven dogs need a bone thrown to us every once and while.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:52 pm
Group 1 winner

I think the min rating works ok for some top races but the max rating hasn't worked so well.
My original idea for the last week with sprints was to have three of them - The Everest is a $10 million race so one would hope that trainers with the best sprinters would enter it.
I personally would have liked to make the race an invitation only race OR only open to horses that have won a G1 sprint.
Then have two other G1 sprints to stretch the talent pool and hopefully a trainer just under G1 level might be able to pick up a G1.

That was the idea at least.

Next season, with consultations, I'd like to try that again in the last week but without the max ratings and open all three G1 sprints to double entry.
In real life the Everest is a field of 12 and I think that is also a good size for the league equivalent and it would be good to see the 12 best highest rated sprinters dash for the cash!
Ideally but I don't think I would get any support for this idea, is that after week 11 the 12 highest rated sprinters are automatically entered into the Everest and the other sprints are open to all - I'd have to check but one sprint maybe a G1 hcp???? This keeps the races open to the trainers that might have a handy sprinter but can't enter this season because of the max rating.

To have an 'automatic entry' and also not to 'clip' a trainer's sprint stable the Everest size could be dropped from 12 to 10 or even 8.

Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:54 pm
Handicapper

Kevcon wrote:

So you're agreeing to the solution to make snowflakes special by giving them a G1 title by removing the top horses?

By this logic, we should make a whole bunch of G1 races with max rating of 60, 70, 80, 90, 100 and then we'll be all happy because everyone can win their own version of a G1 race. Lol gotta love these snowflakes.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:22 am
Group 1 winner

Quote:
So you're agreeing to the solution to make snowflakes special by giving them a G1 title by removing the top horses?

Using the tried and true insult "snowflake" favored by the alt-right=wrong crowd. Seriously? You seem smart Thunder, are you an alt-right Trump fan?

Who is asking to be special? What makes you special? Truly an obnoxious statement from you.

A couple group 1 races during the season with max 100 ratings is good for morale. The fact is a handful of trainers literally win all the group 1's over the course of every season. Now and then a mid tier trainer gets one usually on a heavy type turf.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:43 am
Handicapper

SiriusChill wrote:

Using the tried and true insult "snowflake" favored by the alt-right=wrong crowd. Seriously? You seem smart Thunder, are you an alt-right Trump fan?

Who is asking to be special? What makes you special? Truly an obnoxious statement from you.

A couple group 1 races during the season with max 100 ratings is good for morale. The fact is a handful of trainers literally win all the group 1's over the course of every season. Now and then a mid tier trainer gets one usually on a heavy type turf.

You want a G1 win then earn it. Nothing in life is given free. I Studied hard and work hard and I earned what I accomplished in life.

People work hard in games and in real life to make themselves better. While people like you want everything handed to them and term it as morale boosting. Typical snowflake wants G1s given to him without doing the work everyone else had to endure to accomplish the feat.

Do you even know how many hours some of these top trainers had to play to get these "monter horses"? And you are trivializing their effort by giving the G1 title away to anyone.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:09 am
Group 1 winner

yawn

I'm just gunna melt away into the ground like a snowflake because continuing this is not what's needed here.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:14 am
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
SiriusChill wrote:

You want a G1 win then earn it. Nothing in life is given free. I Studied hard and work hard and I earned what I accomplished in life.

People work hard in games and in real life to make themselves better. While people like you want everything handed to them and term it as morale boosting. Typical snowflake wants G1s given to him without doing the work everyone else had to endure to accomplish the feat.

Do you even know how many hours some of these top trainers had to play to get these "monter horses"? And you are trivializing their effort by giving the G1 title away to anyone.

Thunder - it is widely accepted that changing G1s to have max ratings to make it easy for lower rated trainers is not the way to go. Gray has stated that at the start of the season it was an experiment not set in stone - it didn't work and now we know. I am a low rated trainer and other low rated trainers have stated in here that winning a G1 that way is hollow at best. Over the past 3 seasons this topic has been well discussed on and off the forums and i think it is obvious that it does not and will not work.
You may have read a post of mine a few weeks ago where i have suggested running 'Cups' races that can be aimed at lower 0-60 and up to mid 110 -120 trainers. This idea had some support and probably more important no one said anything negitive to my idea.
If anything can be said about having more lower rated races and running G1s at their correct standing, I believe my voice has been the loudest and I started up about these topics from the first league season of SO6.

NOW - I want to stress, my position of thinking in the league is that i am not concerned with winning G1s my thinking is how can we make this league grow. How can we make it fair to all who play from the first season trainer to a trainer like yourself. How do we make the league attractive to first time trainers and more importantly HOW DO WE KEEP THEM INVOLVED. I will confidently bet that in the four league seasons that i have played, that the league has lost far more trainers than what are playing this season excluding rookie trainers.
Now if that was my shop - if i had more people come in and look around and leave without buying something than people who did part with their money - then that is a major fail! And i am saying right now that the League is failing to retain players and is failing in general.

First off - Thunder, there is no doubt that you have been very gracious in sharing your knowledge in how to breed G1 horses. As have other trainers. BUT this is also the problem of the league - beside Jango, every rookie trainer comes into the league playing a stock game with no thought about breeding for the league and they get wiped off the map because of the monsters. On top of that there are many lower rated trainers that have no desire to be breeding G1 monsters or playing a four month customised schedule or messing around with ttf. I think you'll find the majority of league trainers enjoy playing the full stock standard game. I think all these repeat trainers acknowledge that there is only one way to be competitive on the flat at G1 level and accept that. If i remember correctly Thunder, even you yourself mentioned when you first came back that breeding monsters is a very boring proccess.

Kev was out of line in saying what he did BUT i do know for a fact he is no orphan in what he thinks and that i do know there are other trainers who feel the same way and a lot who view it as cheating (for the record, I don't). I guess, without speaking for Kev, that it was his frustrations bubbling up.
PERSONALLY i will take you to task about 'being lazy' - are you saying I am lazy because i do not have a G1 stable? Do you know how many hours I've played my stock standard game? And i am lucky because i own my own business and can play it in my shop - so i can bang out many hours if i want - but let me tell you when I read a G1 trainer say they just smashed out five seasons in an hour because they run a four month season when in my 120 stable playing the stock game I'm lucky to bang out a week in an hour it makes me question why do i even bother. So, personally i am happy when my horse wins a 0-70 and even happier if it snags a 0-100 but if we are really honest with ourselves it is not one league for all - it is one league split in half - ttf trainers racing in the Group races and non ttf trainers battling each other in the handicaps.

I have acceptted that this is how it is and that is why I am still pushing for change to give lower rated trainers something to aim at with Cup races and also not handicap G1 trainers with max rated G1s. I am looking forward to SO7 and hopefully no ttf.

PS I think you should retract 'snowflake' for the good and bigger picture/image of the league. Lazy is not having the self dignity or control to structure a more intelligent reply. There was no need for it's use.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:00 am
Group 3 winner

Thunder I'm sorry but u coming across as pompous and arrogant by saying things like that, everyone of us has played this game a stupid amount of time and just because u one of the top trainers it doesn't give u the right to take the pee, every horse in the league is a group 1 horse and every win should be seen as a group 1 win, if one of my horses wins a h'cap it's as good to me as a group win because it still has to beat the games group 1 horses. All these horses are stars in game and probably beat the other horses in game easily. Del and me talked about this and he said I want group wins not h'cap wins and I said every race is a group race their are just h'capped that's all.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:29 am
Handicapper

I had this long response all typed and ready to post thinking I'm so smart, I'm a genius for having such a comeback. But it also made me sound like an idiot. My whining about G1 designation seems petty compared to the effort put in by the volunteers.

It made me realize how much effort the volunteers puts in this game to keep the league running. So I'd like to thank everyone who keeps the league running smoothly every week. Without you guys, the league would not exist.

I'd like to somehow buy you guys a beer.

As to snowflake, I wont retract the word since I don't think you understand what the word means. Even tho I don't like snowflakes, I'll even buy Sirius a beer since I know handicapping is a lot of work. He deserves my gratitude too for all that work.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:06 am
Group 1 winner

thunderspark1 wrote:
I had this long response all typed and ready to post thinking I'm so smart, I'm a genius for having such a comeback. But it also made me sound like an idiot. My whining about G1 designation seems petty compared to the effort put in by the volunteers.

It made me realize how much effort the volunteers puts in this game to keep the league running. So I'd like to thank everyone who keeps the league running smoothly every week. Without you guys, the league would not exist.

I'd like to somehow buy you guys a beer.

As to snowflake, I wont retract the word since I don't think you understand what the word means. Even tho I don't like snowflakes, I'll even buy Sirius a beer since I know handicapping is a lot of work. He deserves my gratitude too for all that work.

Mate. I am pretty sure that most in here would find 'snowflake' to be derogatory - in these times we all know what it means.
And you are right - all of us who volunteer spend an awful amount of our own time making things tick over - god knows what hours Gray puts in and the race runners. When Me, Martin and Stu do the review shows I'm awake at stupid past midnight and Martin then spends hours editing it all just so the league has a bit of light banter.
I guess in future if you want to question what time people put into this game/league it best be that you've put your hand up and volunteering to be a race runner.

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:20 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next