View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 trials 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: trials
ghosty wrote:
I must be the only person who still likes playing it. :D If I hadn't joined the league i'd still be playing it but instead of breeding i'd be using the gamebred horses.

That's what I did for at least 40 odd seasons - I didn't even think of breeding, it didn't even cross my mind. All I did was slowly build up a bank so I could buy the best 2yos and race them - It was a lot of fun. If I didn't worry about breeding bars and just bred my fave horses and my successful horses - I could play this game for years.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:35 pm
Group 3 winner

NPG319 wrote:
I still really enjoy playing the single player game - I enjoy it a lot. If the league stopped, I'd still be happy with it. Dominating the league isn't my dream or desire - I've got more important stuff in life to concentrate on than that - SO6 and the league is just a mindless escape for me. I am looking forward to SO7 but if the breeding side of things for the league don't change in SO7 then I my not bother with it.
. We know it's going to change, and in big way. I'm glad the ttf's are going, I wonder if people will play the duel game more so u can breed the two in one. If u got a great gamebred mare u probably got about 4 or 5 shots at getting better. Breeding monster horses will become much tougher if not impossible.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:40 pm
Group 3 winner

NPG319 wrote:
ghosty wrote:
I must be the only person who still likes playing it. :D If I hadn't joined the league i'd still be playing it but instead of breeding i'd be using the gamebred horses.

That's what I did for at least 40 odd seasons - I didn't even think of breeding, it didn't even cross my mind. All I did was slowly build up a bank so I could buy the best 2yos and race them - It was a lot of fun. If I didn't worry about breeding bars and just bred my fave horses and my successful horses - I could play this game for years.

I played So 1 for nearly 10 years, well it felt like that and it only had the flat game. I still think i've got the book with all the best horses in. :D

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:44 pm
Handicapper

NPG319 wrote:
Do you guys actually enjoy the game?

I used to enjoy the game. But after figuring out how stats work and now with breeding producing less and less improvement the game has lost it's lustre. Besides there are so many games out there competing for my attention.

Especially this week with Steam's summer sale. So many games are discounted up to 60%. I tried to get back into SO6 but after a few days the excitement already wore off. Seeing new faces doing so well in the league first got me excited again but then after playing, I remember how tedious breeding and trialling are. So just bought a whole bunch of games from Steam.

ghosty wrote:
NPG319 wrote:
I still really enjoy playing the single player game - I enjoy it a lot. If the league stopped, I'd still be happy with it. Dominating the league isn't my dream or desire - I've got more important stuff in life to concentrate on than that - SO6 and the league is just a mindless escape for me. I am looking forward to SO7 but if the breeding side of things for the league don't change in SO7 then I my not bother with it.
. We know it's going to change, and in big way. I'm glad the ttf's are going, I wonder if people will play the duel game more so u can breed the two in one. If u got a great gamebred mare u probably got about 4 or 5 shots at getting better. Breeding monster horses will become much tougher if not impossible.

This shouldn't really be a problem. I've already thought of a couple of strategies that will bypass this. And I think other trainers will come to the same solution and will mass produce monster horses. It will depend on how Mark codes the game but there is always a counter to this.

Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Indeed, for example if you have eight game slots you could copy the whole save 8 times and then get circa 40 shots at said gamebred mare. As an example, gamers hey right bunch of cheating bastards :)

Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:51 am
Group 2 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Jim - 35 hours a week mate, that's a full time job. I hope you are on a good rate :lol:

I am retired and SO6 is just something to keep me busy over the winter months. Winter in Scotland, the weather can be a bit dodgy. From March to October I spend most of my time at the golf club. When I am not playing golf I volunteer at the golf club where I am the Captain, Match Secretary, part-time Starter and occassional Barman.

It's certainly better than some people who when they retire have nothing to do but sit in front of the TV.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:50 am
Group 1 winner

Wannabe wrote:
Lordedaw wrote:
Jim - 35 hours a week mate, that's a full time job. I hope you are on a good rate :lol:

I am retired and SO6 is just something to keep me busy over the winter months. Winter in Scotland, the weather can be a bit dodgy. From March to October I spend most of my time at the golf club. When I am not playing golf I volunteer at the golf club where I am the Captain, Match Secretary, part-time Starter and occassional Barman.

It's certainly better than some people who when they retire have nothing to do but sit in front of the TV.

Sounds like a good lifestyle.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:12 am
Group 1 winner

Ok having spent a few days and having had a good think about this and
TBH it has grated with me a little meaning we should all be playing from a level playing field in
terms of trialing for the league. the last thing i want to do is start a pointless row but i have a couple
of questions id just like to hear the answer to.

1) why do people use the race kit to trial surely its a lot more work having to move the files into
it so why would you do it if there is no advantage also surely its the perfect thing to use to replicate
league conditions

2) do people use other peoples horses (files) in the race kit to trial that is a bigger question I guess
only those who have access to the league material would have access to those files.

3) Did Mark authorize the use of the racekit for the ordinary player to use at their disposal must admit
I have no memory of it being made available i must have missed Jim's post when he made it available.

AGAIN im not asking this to cause a row im just a person that believes 100% in fairplay for all and these
questions are playing on my mind.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:34 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
TBH it has grated with me a little meaning we should all be playing from a level playing field in
terms of trialing for the league. the last thing i want to do is start a pointless row but i have a couple

1) why do people use the race kit to trial surely its a lot more work having to move the files into
it so why would you do it if there is no advantage also surely its the perfect thing to use to replicate
league conditions

2) do people use other peoples horses (files) in the race kit to trial that is a bigger question I guess
only those who have access to the league material would have access to those files.

3) Did Mark authorize the use of the racekit for the ordinary player to use at their disposal must admit
I have no memory of it being made available i must have missed Jim's post when he made it available.

AGAIN im not asking this to cause a row im just a person that believes 100% in fairplay for all and these

I can only speak for myself on this but I have never used the race-kit to trial races, there is no point they are the same computer program and I would never do it even if there was a advantage . I don't think there is. I can say I don't have another person's horse on my computer , as soon as Wednesday or Thursday comes I've deleted all last weeks files-videos . Could u have a advantage if u used them , possibly because u would know roughly how good other peoples horses are but everyone's horses get better from season to season so it might not be a massive advantage if any. And no its wasn't made available from mark.

I think its time for people to make their peace on this subject and if they have questions on it then its time to say it or it will sink the league.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:51 am
Group 1 winner

John the last thing i want is to do any damage to the league i adore the league and will do anything to
protect it to me fairplay is absolutely everything I have never run races or never used the race kit only been involved in
the league in the presidential position so I have absolutely no idea how it all works so i just hope you can
understand why i felt some questions needed answering as I say and i cant speak for anyone else it did grate
on me a little that all this came to light this late. I'm not stirring the pot muck raking or doing any of that
I just hope you who have run races know how it all works can understand how someone like me who has no clue would
have questions. I agree we need to clear the air on this subject.

I Just think its imperative to the league that EVERYONE is playing off a level playing field.
and clarity on that is hugely important

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:14 am
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:

league conditions

I dont use the RaceKit to trial for 2 reasons.
Firstly i dont believe there is any difference between the RK and the CK so why go to the extra trouble of exporting and copying the .HRS files.
And second and more importantly, even if there was an advantage i still would not use it because as a race runner I think there is a level of trust given to me to play fair.
A race runner could manipulate the results if they were inclined, so i respect the trust given to me and do not look for any advantages not available to the rest of the players.

As far as comparing my horses against other players horses, again i dont see any advantage.
I try to breed the best horses possible and knowing that they are inferior wont suddenly enable me to breed better horses or allow me more time to do so.
I look at the stats to breed and the trials performance to select my stable.
The biggest difference to my campaign has been to watch last seasons Grp 1 races and deduce that if you are not in the front pack at the 2f mark you haven't got much hope of a placing.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:21 am
Group 2 winner

Hasn't everyone now got access to the RaceKit? If this is the case (it's not hidden, it's in plain sight), then I don't see how, even if was advantageous to use it, there is any advantage to anyone. Everyone can use it if they like. Having said that, personally I think the reason anyone might think the racekit is any different, is because of league results, and some peoples horses performing better in the league, or worse, than their other horses. When in the trials, they don't. For me, this is just down to race pace. It is very difficult to replicate your trials to get the league race pace, this for me is as important as anything in the breeding, get your trials to have the 'right' pace and it won't matter which one you use for your trials

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:46 am
Group 1 winner

Quote:
league conditions

I originally used it for the reason you allude to in your post, it replicates race conditions and thus may offer an advantage, I am quite open about that. But I do not think it give any such advantage, and given your highly respected here for your integrity i’d suggest you trial it and see. I use it now for the formcard and handicap options as it gives me more intel in trials. Cannot speak for everyone but normally I have one or two horses who stand out and about ten who look pretty much the same, so any small margin to help me split them is useful. Course, ground, distance markers etc also. But it is as frustrating as the CK really, with differing results trial to trial, I have even more recently considered that the formcard actually hinders the clarity as I think it brings horse confidence into the equation, with form often coming in bunches, least that’s as it seems to me.

Quote:

I have never used other people’s horses in trial as I do not see the point, there is nothing from this that would help me select my best one way or the other and no way to see the horse bars or stats anyway to gain further insight of why they are better or worse etc. I delete the files I need to racerun after the updated files have been put back into Dropbox. Racekit trials for me are only useful when I have taken say 60 1m 3yo’s down to ten, and as per above I remain on the fence so to speak about it maybe doing more harm than good.

Quote:
I have no memory of it being made available i must have missed Jim's post when he made it available

No clue as to the legalities of using it. Though this would need to be permitted for race runners in any case if any such issue existed.

End of the day I have no problem with not using it. I think the minor data adds can be overcome with a little more scribbling, though with it being public now, that will be something that comes entirely down to trust and personal integrity. Add to league rules etc.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:59 am
Group 1 winner

at the end of the day the league is built on trust if you did not trust one person involved in the running
of it you would not enter i know i wouldn't

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
That will be something that comes entirely down to trust and personal integrity. Add to league rules etc.

As if I could keep quiet.... :lol:

The RK is exactly what it says on the tin, RACE KIT to be used by Race Runners, and as pointed out, no advantage is gained.

But more to the point, access to DB by any of the players is down to TRUST, Commentators, Race Runners, Handicappers, we all have access to the RK & more importantly access to everyone's horses in the league and this combined, enables anyone to trial their own horses against the competitors, much more damaging than just trialing in the RK

The league is based on trust and fair play and I am sure we all continue to follow this.

Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:49 am
Reply to topic   [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next