View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Flat schedule debate post 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Flat schedule debate post
One or two maidens instead of maybe a listed or even handicap and your set. I have found races suitable for all my flat uploads, three are in group races mind, which is where they should be, but there are options is really only the 1m category that’s short.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:02 pm
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
simpleminds wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:
I take these changes are happening next season?

notice the Jersey is getting a change if you look at this season race look how many newcomers
are in that races 4 out of 7 are new comers.

think care needs to be taken as you will drastically cut peoples chances of running newcomers

They can run them in the Mile Group Races Paul if Group 1 didn't allow Debutants like last season I would agree with you Paul.

I'm not thinking of myself but for instance I'm a bottom 5 trainer who has to enter his newcomer in a G1
their horse will surly be penalized for running in G1 company and their newcomer may have an unworkable mark
from there on thus ruining the chance of the horse to succeed which this debate seems to be entirely about.

It's just impossible to please everyone and its doing my head in even thinking about it I'm sure as always
you guys will do whats best by the league.

Paul,
that was back in the day, to try and stop low trainers filling up the races and causing problems with draws, running wide etc. There is no longer much of a penalty from the handicapper if sticking a 70 rated in a G1 as the handicapper takes this into account, mind you, run well off 70 you'll be hit with weight.

As a side note what do people think of graded maidens ? Grade A & B, taking into account your finishing position from the previous season, So of course, yourself, Josh, John etc will run in Grade A's and the lower trainers in the Grade B, this would better rate the horses and stop better horses getting unrealistic marks and a true reflection of the lower horses as well, for the opening 2-3 weeks, the maidens at the start of season are so over subscribed the ratings are nowhere a true reflection of the horses ability. No fault of the handicapper, but fault of too many runners in individual races.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Reads like a stealth way to split the league and assumes all top trainer horses will be monsters and that no trainers will do a Jango. Making it a choice and it will likely be exploited. Not winning me over on that one :)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:35 pm
Group 1 winner

Agree its a good idea in theory

but look at the vast improvement Jango has made in the matter of 1 season he would completely dominate
in class b maidens this season if there was such a thing.

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:25 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Fair comments by you both, I was just trying to ease the G1 maiden status as it is in the first 2-3 weeks that we lose most of our new trainers, some will hang about for the handicaps but many don't, and it is normally about week 5-6 onwards that the handicaps settle & horses are more or less in their class.

Was just an idea and not everything in theory works :)

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:34 pm
Group 1 winner

Anadin wrote:
Fair comments by you both, I was just trying to ease the G1 maiden status as it is in the first 2-3 weeks that we lose most of our new trainers, some will hang about for the handicaps but many don't, and it is normally about week 5-6 onwards that the handicaps settle & horses are more or less in their class.

TBH I have been really disappointed that most newcomers have quit after week 1 last 2 seasons
good to see James Wheeler sticking with it and got rewarded with a winner last week

IMO never be afraid to air new ideas Stu

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Anadin wrote:

TBH I have been really disappointed that most newcomers have quit after week 1 last 2 seasons
good to see James Wheeler sticking with it and got rewarded with a winner last week

IMO never be afraid to air new ideas Stu

Paul - James had a stable a few seasons ago so he knew what to expect. Not sure if he played a full season or not back then.
They leave because their horses are getting smashed - some new players soldier on but most give up the ghost.
That is why i am gunning for two flat leagues. All i want to do is retain more new players.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:19 am
Group 1 winner

Hi Doug on Tom it says its his first season unless he took part in the SO4/5 days

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:24 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I remain against a league split, but I understand the arguments, both in terms of keeping players and in terms of making the maiden rating more realistic, I likely only won a G1H with ‘Thing’ as my horse ran so poorly in his maiden.

In terms of the maiden rating the only option for this, is more maidens, though as the top tier all usually have full stables, you’re likely to find one of us in every race anyway.

In terms of keeping new players, half the battle is setting realistic expectations, they come in expecting to have G1 monsters as that’s what there experience in game tells them. Beyond repeatedly saying it and showing how top tier league breeding is done, i’m not sure how you solve that. If they get owned in a division 2 league with none of the big races there still going to head for the door with expectations shattered.

Maybe more horse pictures from all levels will help, so they can see the difference in bars and maybe get an idea where they might fit? More than happy to snap any of mine.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:13 am
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Hi Doug on Tom it says its his first season unless he took part in the SO4/5 days

I mailed all the new trainers and James was the only reply. Sounds like a nice chap and appreciated me contacting him. He mentioned he'd been in before, a few season ago although he may have meant SO4/5.
I mailed all the new trainers last season and i think it helped some of them to finish the season. Aiden Murphy came back again for this season so that was good for the league.

Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:56 am
Group 1 winner

NPG319 wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

I mailed all the new trainers and James was the only reply. Sounds like a nice chap and appreciated me contacting him. He mentioned he'd been in before, a few season ago although he may have meant SO4/5.
I mailed all the new trainers last season and i think it helped some of them to finish the season. Aiden Murphy came back again for this season so that was good for the league.

Great work Doug great to see Aidan coming back

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:05 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I remain against a league split, but I understand the arguments, both in terms of keeping players and in terms of making the maiden rating more realistic, I likely only won a G1H with ‘Thing’ as my horse ran so poorly in his maiden.

In terms of the maiden rating the only option for this, is more maidens, though as the top tier all usually have full stables, you’re likely to find one of us in every race anyway.

In terms of keeping new players, half the battle is setting realistic expectations, they come in expecting to have G1 monsters as that’s what there experience in game tells them. Beyond repeatedly saying it and showing how top tier league breeding is done, i’m not sure how you solve that. If they get owned in a division 2 league with none of the big races there still going to head for the door with expectations shattered.

Maybe more horse pictures from all levels will help, so they can see the difference in bars and maybe get an idea where they might fit? More than happy to snap any of mine.

Besides week one, i try to steer clear of maiden races now.

It's like i mentioned before - a lot of trainers, new and old look at what they have to do to win Group races in the league and think 'f that' - for others it's a challenge they are keen to take on.

I think the issues for some of the new and old trainers is - they can't be bothered playing their game like that - it seems like such hard work, it's a buzz killer. We do know that there are some trainers who think it's cheating and there would be other trainers who aren't that confident changing things up on their computer via moving files to modding their game etc

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:10 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:

Agree 100% with this.
The one thing that frustrated me in my first season was that i was stuck with my donkeys for 13 weeks and would have to wait a few months before i could get another shot at the League.
Perhaps consider allowing a new trainer to replace any of his horses that are rated say less than 70 or whatever rating would be resonable.
This would keep their interest in ongoing breeding and improving their stable.
Just a thought. :)

Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:30 am
Group 1 winner

Quote:
I think the issues for some of the new and old trainers is - they can't be bothered playing their game like that - it seems like such hard work, it's a buzz killer. We do know that there are some trainers who think it's cheating and there would be other trainers who aren't that confident changing things up on their computer via moving files to modding their game etc

Too late to address that now. And moving files is easy, nothing else needs to be done in terms of mods, I use stock schedules etc. People either accept that the league is PvP and thus a hundred times harder than anything the game will throw at you, or they won’t. Those who leave after one week were likely never going to stay anyway unless they dominated the league as they dominated the game. I would not worry too much about it.

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm
Group 1 winner

Maybe....maybe not!

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:51 pm
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next