View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Trialling at Home 
Group 2 winner

Post Trialling at Home
Hi, I've decided to use next season (assuming there is one with SO6), as a test for breeding. Basically this season I rushed through a league team in about 2 months of work, which obviously isn't ideal. But it means I didn't really try an develop much, just used my old knowledge of what I done a couple of seasons ago, and from what I used to do back when it was SO4 in the league.

This led to me having a lot of horses not truly staying distances, along with only having a team up to 1m2, I've not bred anything further than that at all yet. I didn't really get to set my trials up right hich I want to do now. So I have a question for people who do a lot of breeding, and a lot of trialing. Do you trial 1st an 2nd gen horses against 6,7,8th gen horses etc. i.e I believe if I find a really good game horse, but when my original breeding line is quite far along, it's pointless trialing it's first gen horses with my best. Even though it may be breeding with 8th Gen horses, it's still a 1st gen offspring in my eyes, so should be trialing against that level from my old batch. I think if I can organise this into proper trialing folders it may have a big effect on my team. I won't be getting rid of horses in trials because they are racing against much better horses than they should be?

Hopefully this makes sense, an does anyone else do things along these lines?

Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:02 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Trialling at Home
In simple terms I trial my best existing stock, typically 8-12 horses per distance per age etc against my newly bred horses. The exception to this is when I am trying to breed in something new. Then I simply plough through the breeding until I get to a point where I like the offspring or have mixed them in with existing stock and then they get trialed as above. So it really depends how good the horses you get from that game bred horse are. Last time I did it I maybe ran 20 seasons of seed breeding before trialling but only you can see and tell when it is worth the effort to trial. As of right now I am breeding what you call gen1’s with my main stock which is gen6, least from the last time i did a specific addition. The stock itself is around 130 seasons old.

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:48 pm
Group 2 winner

Cheers, yeah this is what I was expecting, and what I'm trying to change too. Basically if I found a very good game horse, I'd put that in to breed with my best filly's, which were obviously much further along breeding wise. But I then trialled their offspring against horses that were well established breeding. Now I'm gonna try and avoid that, breed a bit more into them before the trials

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:57 pm
Group 1 winner

Also I usually do the click through breeding in a separate game, so I do not age my main stock for no reason

Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:58 pm
Group 2 winner

Yeah me too, I have a main game for the breeding, then have a game for each distance for stuff like the speed breeding. Can't wait for SO7 now though so everyone doesn't have a 3 years head start on me :)

Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]