View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 The Grand National - What The Trainers Say 
Selling plater

Post The Grand National - What The Trainers Say
Just a bit of fun ahead of the Grand National this week, I thought it'd be cool to see what the trainers think of their respective charges in the big race, similar to what the Racing Post do for the big races throughout the season. I remember there being a podcast that ran down all the runners a couple years ago which I particularly enjoyed too!

Namecheck Hotel - Can have jumping issues, but he showed his liking for marathon tests in a moores millions qualifier over 4, 1. His two subsequent runs haven't offered any clues in regard to his mark as they were both over shorter and he was outpaced in both. He's the best I've ever run in the race and a competition would be very exciting.

Lucky Money - Overall very frustrating this season; falling more often than not which doesn't really lend itself to the National, but I was keen for him to take his chance as this has been the target. Last weeks run was a step in the right direction, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: The Grand National - What The Trainers Say
Peter - Stu and Martin will have a preview show up for the GN - it should be a laugh and interesting as well.

My two nags are game bred horses - Wild Coco - best distance is 7200m. Wild Coco is a natural leader so I hope it can be up in the first 3 for most of the race. No chance of winning.

Street Fire - best distance is 6400m - it actually won the GN in my single player game and is my main hope. I hope it finishes the race and a finish in the first half of runners I'll take as a win.

I think last years winner will win again. I noticed it last start where it tailed off but started coming into the race late, like a horse needing the GN distance.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:56 am
Group 1 winner

Promotion
My number 1 national horse going into this season I have had to be very patient with him only running him 3 times
rated in the low 140s he is our best chance. As always in the national you need to get round after that you need alot
of luck. You can never be confident in the national but should he get round should be bang there and should make the
placings.

Ikea Q
Funny story behind this one the sire was called Ikea and the dam Eye Q and i forgot to name her before racing her
Kinda regret running her last week i did not think she would go up so much with it being a 0 - 130 handicap but after
a solid second got bumped up to the high 140s and may have ruined her chance of winning i should have stayed
patient and avoided last weeks race. Still should she get round she is not with out a chance.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:49 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

My single runner Pray for a Miracle has a decent chance if he jumps round cleanly, but that is a big if. Very good jumping at home and trial, so league record 3 falls from 5 has been a little surprising. The weight gain from his Cheltenham win will also not aid his cause. Chance but not a good one.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am
Group 3 winner

My horses, Ellis Pawn and Johansen, is just canon fodder I think. My hope is that one of them will manage to finish the race. I always look forward to the National, it is a great race.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:39 am
Group 1 winner

Double First
My main hope ran a seasons best last time out in a MM race and while he finished 9l behind the winner Fast Boy is now 20lbs better off and is also well in compared to Pray For A Miracle who finished behind him. Deliberately missed running last week to avoid the possibility of a rating boost. He likes to race handy so will be front rank and if jumping round will have a solid EW chance.

Dublin Flyer
Last season's Scottish National winner has only raced 3 times this season and after 2 disappointing efforts returned to form with a much better run in the Midlands national finishing 3rd. Hopefully he will jump round and be in contention approaching the 2nd last but I have major doubts about him seeing out the last 1.5f. Will be delighted with a top 10 finish.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:53 am
Group 1 winner

I have the two going -

Zakreet
A GB bought in at the window and purely with this race in mind just run the required 3 race qualification and comes in out of the handicap, but was only 3.5 lengths behind & running on to JM's Smart Castle (2nd in the G1 LVR Cup at Cheltenham now rated 169) over 4M in its maiden, will run from the front and if stays on his feet, has as good a chance as anyone.

Corsican Boy -
12yo and really in to make up numbers, will finish, so if you can get your money on a definite finisher the Boy is a guaranteed to get round.

Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:18 pm
Group 2 winner

Sadly due to the heavy workload for Stu this weekend, as there are only 3 race runners, we recorded the pinstickers guide on Friday evening virtually as soon as entries closed. Therefore we won't be able to include any of the comments in the audio but after reading through I don't think we were a million miles away with our own assessments of your horses.

As for mine:

Let Your Mind was the first horse I managed to breed that won the National at home so she was my main hope at the start of the season. Despite running well a lot of the time she has failed to win a race and has surprisingly toppled over too. Being out of the handicap and the soft ground will probably be her main undoing though as she does like to hear her hooves rattle.

Now and Then has been a big surprise. She was initially in the team as a 3m6f - 4m horse with a GN reserve tag. Seems to last better over further than she should though and managed to win twice on the trot earlier in the season and then ran a blinder in the Welsh National. Unseated rider last twice though which is a concern and she also has plenty of weight.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Fast Boy (146) may be too high in the weights now but look at Ekhere (86) finished 3/4 L behind Fast Boy in G1 last time out, I'll have to have a word with the handicapper. :cry:
But first I need to get to the bookies. :)

Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]