View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:50 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Attention Jason 
Group 1 winner

Post Attention Jason
Hi Jay,

Had an idea that might bring this more into line with what you want for the SOPL.

I am prepared to put together a Racing Ahead newsletter for each of the three spheres. UKRA, USRA and NHC.

The Racing Ahead newsletters could be listed under the three sections.

Included in each one would be a three page, post race review of the week plus the results section as I did with the Week One NHC newsletter.

As this would be a big job I would ask for help from other members.

Basically I would like anyone to send me a review of a race and let me edit it i.e make it fit the newsletter.

If they could include a screen capture of the horse or race sequence that would also save time.

I am prepared to write the majority (60%), but any help would be welcome. I would of course acknowledge the writer in the report.

Maybe we could have a list of races and people choose which one they wanted to write about. It might be a race where they have a runner.

I think this would achieve the balance you are looking for on the papers site.

Let me know what you think

Steve

This would free up some time for you to develop the site with other information.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:21 am
Group 1 winner

Yeah this is what I want reviews of all three associations so we have a balance but on the site. If we have the newsletters then there is no point having the site. The site is still currently being developed. When finished it will look like a newspaper similar to the newsletter you have done. If you look at last years newsletter this is what I am aiming for but I am a newbie so learning the code for editing on a dailty basis.

When the site is done I want the information in the newsletter to be entered directly onto the site and not publisher. I have decided to scrap race previews so I can concentrate on the site and reviewing races.

I will set you up with admin for the site and you can enter the information and pictures on there. Its quite easy when you get the hang of it.

Thanks
Jay

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:32 pm
Group 1 winner

Leave it with me mate. Need to have a think. It might just be easier doing the newsletters as you have suggested. I am very OCD so need to have a think what looks and works best. :D

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:38 pm
Group 1 winner

Let me know what you decide.

Obviously I would prefer to use publisher

Instead of newsletter just call it post race reviews. Then it is just a small section of the overall site

Thanks

Steve

If you gave me responsibility for post race reviews you could do the previews and analysis which I think are top drawer and need to be included.

Anyway whatever you decide mate.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:46 pm
Group 1 winner

Seperate right hand side headings for each league with something like this in each

National Hunt:

Pre-Race Analysis
Post Race Reviews & Results
Jockey Stats
Ante Post Markets
Horse Spotlight
Stable Tours

Sure other players could come up with other interesting items to put on the site.

Then your extra stuff.

The thing is we need people to be responsible for each section.

It is a big job doing it alone.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:00 pm
Group 1 winner

I like some of the ideas bud but things like jockey stats and results are stored in TOM though so we would be duplicating work.

Things like Antepost betting has been scrapped now due to TOM handling odds bad bets and not the forum. I just think we will struggle to get the writers.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:16 pm
Group 1 winner

Pre race analysis
Post race reviews and results

.....and see how we go.

The restructuring of items under the three league headings might help clarify things.

Stable tours under extras.

Then we can add things as people come on board.

Just need to stay patient and enthusiastic

It is a great idea and we need to make it work.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Yeah sure we will go with that. This is what we were going to do anyway. Week one and Week two are mainly maidens that is why there is little previewing and reviewing.

I know it will work mate. It already did last year.

For now I will work on previews and you work on reviews until more definite writers come on board. I have had Colm help out with a few previews from the USRA.

How many races did you review in the newsletter?

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:33 pm
Group 1 winner

So would be 24 if I did all three.

If anyone could help out with reviews it would be great.

Anyone interested sign in below.

or e-mail me speight921@btinternet.com

Cheers

Just Thought
Not everyone who reads the forums has horses in the league or has access to TOM so it might be beneficial to have information on the site to encourage new players.

I don't have horses good enough for the league so this is a good way for me to be involved.

Jockey Stats is not a problem - I could do that easy enough

1 Horse spotlight a week should be easy.

Just ask trainers to write about their favourite horse in the league and send it to me.

Then I could do it with the admin package you mentioned.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:41 pm
Group 1 winner

Cool. I have still got ideas to add to it myself but like the horse spotlight idea alot.

I am going to add a an 'about' section which will tell people about the league. Also I will be adding a 'bible' which will be links to all the important information scattered across the forums.

Ok I am going to get stuck in with the site tonight. Give me a week to put something together.

if you are going to review 8 races then I will preview 8 races from each association. I think I could manage this with the help of Colm and Vinny.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:27 pm
Group 1 winner

Will start work on week 1 reviews for both flat codes.

Same format as NH.

Might be with you before Friday.

Will e-mail them when ready.

Then work on week 2 starting sunday

Off to Chester races Saturday.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:45 pm
Group 1 winner

Love Chester. My favourite track. I might join you mate.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:39 pm
Group 2 winner

One option you guys have is to save the Publisher files as html and insert it into the SOPL Times.

The other is to use an application called PrimoPDF.

Once you've created the Review in Publisher, click Print. From the drop down menu where your Printer is displayed, choose Primo PDF from that. The Publisher file will be printed directly into a PDF file.

This will make it easier for readers who don't have Publisher installed on their PC.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]