View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 SO7 Trials Day 3 Races 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: SO7 Trials Day 3 Races
Paul I'm only going to end up with a small flat and jumps team, I can't breed any hurdlers, not found a decent one to breed with and in my US game I can only breed up to 1m2 even though I put in 2 mile races into my game. My motto is whatever I up with that's what i'll have. And i'm glad flat horses are not at a advantage over proper jump breed horses.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:04 am
Group 1 winner

Likewise, I am actually considering abandoning my flat game and just playing the jumps. I certainly have nothing on the flat with prospects over 1m and they all seem to be dirt horses in my Australian game.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:15 am
Group 1 winner

Combined games is best for competing in both leagues as it gives the most flexibility. The only issues is a season takes a long time to get through. That may be because I have 500 or so horses at the start of each season.

Hurdlers are hard to find but I have sent failed chasers back over hurdles at 7 and found some gems. Got to stage now that I can tell by the sire if they will be a hurdler or chaser

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:27 am
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Likewise, I am actually considering abandoning my flat game and just playing the jumps. I certainly have nothing on the flat with prospects over 1m and they all seem to be dirt horses in my Australian game.

I'd had given up on my flat team after they all finished last in the first races but I found that game breed stallion and bred a few to him and my horses seemed to improve massively and i've not bred any flat horses in nearly a month just because I didn't want to waste my time if they still proved awful in these races but because they showed more it looks like i'll have to keep breeding flat a little bit. Trying to fight on two fronts will be tough and i'll doff my hat to people who can do it.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:28 am
Group 3 winner

leonvr wrote:
Combined games is best for competing in both leagues as it gives the most flexibility. The only issues is a season takes a long time to get through. That may be because I have 500 or so horses at the start of each season.

Hurdlers are hard to find but I have sent failed chasers back over hurdles at 7 and found some gems. Got to stage now that I can tell by the sire if they will be a hurdler or chaser

That's one of the things a love about this game, u have to get to know u horses unlike last game where u would just breed to anything and if it didn't work u would put them back in. I love how u can follow u lines so u know where they came from.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:41 am
Group 1 winner

Yes it will be hard to compete on both fronts. Even hurdles and chasers aren't interchangeable anymore. The other thing I have noticed, which is a big improvement over SO6, is that horses don't need further as they age. 2 miles stay 2 miles. Also stamina bars in NH are useless indicators. G I Joe has a lower stamina bar than Unendliche Geschichte as can be seen in the images on the monsters thread

Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:42 am
Group 2 winner

Thanks for the kind words re the comms. Really hoping Doug and Stu will be back for the season proper.

Was very interesting watching the races from a commentators point of view. The way the horses run is now a little more true to life, there doesn't seem to be as much of that 'hitting the wall' and then getting a second wind. They seem to pack a little better and some of the falls seem more natural although there are still too many unseated riders over hurdles. The pull ups don't seem quite as bad either.

My two games are pretty much in their infancy compared to most. Both my games are combined but in one I concentrate mostly on flat and in other mostly NH. This means I have the option of getting some speed into the jumps lines and some stamina into the flat. I try to keep about a dozen on the go from the 'wrong code' so I can get through the second half of the season better. I know tis means I am probably ditching some potentially good horses but the good thing about breeding in s07 is that these horses tend to become available as stallions anyway so they aren't totally lost.

My predominantly flat game is only 11 seasons old and all of my flat horses were useless as I expected. However my NH one is only 13 seasons old and I had a 3rd, 2 4ths, a 5th and a 6th so maybe its quicker to get competitive in the jumping.

Also think its great that the NH horses now perform at the right age and am 100% behind Leon's idea of novices at 5 or even 5/6.

Appetite certainly whetted for a new season. Great to call some familiar trainer names in the comms and some new ones too. Also hope to see more of the old guard back. Some of those game generated names are a mouthful though and am hoping people start naming their own a bit more by season time … even ones like Leon's horse in the first !

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

I think the novice idea is a good one because especially the chasers they don't get to their best until 8 or 9. The one thing I thought was good on the flat is that my 5 year old beat the 3yo's, in the old game the 3yo's always had a big advantage with having to carry 4 or 5 pounds less and we might see more horses running longer than just 1 season.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:45 pm
Group 1 winner

If novice category changes it will probably need to be 5yo only as the race kit allows you to run 5yo only races. Unfortunately you can't restrict races to 5 and 6 year olds. It's quite a lot of changes in the code and schedule so will need to know soon so I can make the changes in the code

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:03 pm
Group 3 winner

leonvr wrote:
If novice category changes it will probably need to be 5yo only as the race kit allows you to run 5yo only races. Unfortunately you can't restrict races to 5 and 6 year olds. It's quite a lot of changes in the code and schedule so will need to know soon so I can make the changes in the code

If it's going to be a pain and more work then it's best to leave it the way it is especially as we not that faraway ( couple months) of having a new season.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm
Group 1 winner

It won't take long, but it would be good to do when I roll the season over. As long as Gray is happy with changing the schedules then I can make the code changes.

Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2