View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 League Posts Required 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: League Posts Required
I have never done it and would not know where to start but I would open with one unless you have a load of time on your hands, it is a reasonably big time sink as I understand it. Thick skin is helpful too :)

Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:35 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I have never done it and would not know where to start but I would open with one unless you have a load of time on your hands, it is a reasonably big time sink as I understand it. Thick skin is helpful too :)

Your probably right. I will definitely do the flat handicapping if allowed unless someone else wants it. I have the time and the know how and hope I can fill the boots of the previous handicapper. But if we struggle for a volunteer for the NH I don't mind the extra work, obviously it will mean I may be pushed somewhat but if someone wants to review or take on one role that would be fine. Even a second opinion is always appreciated.

Wed Jan 22, 2020 3:51 am
Group 2 winner

dragontrainer wrote:
Githyanki wrote:

Your probably right. I will definitely do the flat handicapping if allowed unless someone else wants it. I have the time and the know how and hope I can fill the boots of the previous handicapper. But if we struggle for a volunteer for the NH I don't mind the extra work, obviously it will mean I may be pushed somewhat but if someone wants to review or take on one role that would be fine. Even a second opinion is always appreciated.

This is just an idea but it might keep the interest up until we fill the roles. Dragontrainer/Gray how would you feel about handicapping the last lot of trial races and then running them again as handicaps. As Gray still has all the horse files it shouldnt be too much messing about and could be done pretty much straight away if you had the time. I am happy to commentate on them if you do them. Could be interesting and would certainly help dragontrainer out as a practise before it really counts might help.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Group 3 winner

dragontrainer wrote:

Just an idea, but a way to gain some experience and see how your estimations compare to Sirius, maybe consider following some horses in the previous SO season.
At the end of each race video it shows the racecard which lists each horses rating. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzbn9oTbv18jidx5pNkHaQ/videos
Using the Leagues TOM website trainers page it is possible to list all a particular horse's races. http://startersordersonlineleague.com/#/trainers

Therefor by watching a race, allocating your resulting rating and then checking this rating against the rating shown in the racecard of the horse's next race, you would be able to compare your estimates with Sirius's.
Just a thought.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:08 am
Group 1 winner

Both are fine ideas but I think handicapping the last trial based on the result and re-running against the handicap will keep interest going for a wider group of players. Assumes of course gray also has the time to run them.

Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:30 am
Group 1 winner

Will be having another Trial Day Feb 21st so Dragon can handicap them by watching the races you will need Dropbox Dragon to get hold of the Horse Files to alter the ratings then I will Rerun the Races as a Handicap then you can Handicap them again see how you Go.

Gray

Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:42 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 3 winner

Jango wrote:
Just an idea, but a way to gain some experience and see how your estimations compare to Sirius, maybe consider following some horses in the previous SO season.
At the end of each race video it shows the racecard which lists each horses rating. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNzbn9oTbv18jidx5pNkHaQ/videos
Using the Leagues TOM website trainers page it is possible to list all a particular horse's races. http://startersordersonlineleague.com/#/trainers

Therefor by watching a race, allocating your resulting rating and then checking this rating against the rating shown in the racecard of the horse's next race, you would be able to compare your estimates with Sirius's.
Just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestion. Tried it for a couple of hours, it was quite tedious trying to find the races on youtube. That said the handicapping was fairly easy and I was only a pound or two out from the alloted ratings. What I will take from it is the handicap marks given in the first races run just so I have a reference point to start from.

Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 pm
Group 1 winner

I can Race Run again if required, perhaps the weeks people are missing/holidays etc etc.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:55 am
Group 1 winner

I can do a few calls but I wont have a stable.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:52 pm
Group 1 winner

Thanks Stu and Doug Stu will you be doing races weekly as I can do a couple and keep doing NH Handicapping.

Gray

Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:14 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

Sorry to hear you won’t have a stable Doug, hope you find the time, league would not be the same without you.

Same goes for stu. The game is so much more about what comes up in the breeding barn or the auctions we have never had such potential for an open league.

Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Its good to see some of the old boys back :D I was almost out of the jumps game today , just started to play it for the first time in two weeks and all my horses had gone from my CK :cry: :cry: luckily I saved them before I turned it off two weeks ago or I wouldn't have had a jumps team . To all newbies u must save u files.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:19 am
Group 1 winner

simpleminds wrote:
Thanks Stu and Doug Stu will you be doing races weekly as I can do a couple and keep doing NH Handicapping.
Gray

Can do weekly if you wish.....
No stable for me either, just unable to get into 07, maybe in the future.....

Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:00 am
Group 1 winner

Took me ages to get into it and I still hardly play my flat stable, not at all since the last trial, but once you get past the differences it is a better game than so6. And the league side you pushed for ;), no tff or exporting or bars etc makes for an interesting mechanic.

Your absence along with Dougs would be much lamented :(.

Sun Jan 26, 2020 12:28 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
Took me ages to get into it and I still hardly play my flat stable, not at all since the last trial, but once you get past the differences it is a better game than so6. And the league side you pushed for ;), no tff or exporting or bars etc makes for an interesting mechanic.

Your absence along with Dougs would be much lamented :(.

Agree, the future league looks like it may be less dominated than previous :D

Your ears will probably still have to suffer Fauntleroy & Dundee on occasion, so not quite absent.

Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2