View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 NH Breeding 
Group 1 winner

Post NH Breeding
So now the Christmas madness is over I got back to my breeding in an effort to see if I cannot catch Leon. My second major export and trial has produced some interesting results which I thought I would share.

Firstly I just found a game breed in the auctions who is inferior too my current lines in terms of potential (never got beyond 80) but has buckets of speed. He dominated in game for multiple seasons and trials 3-5 lengths better than Dallas Tower and the Broken Hearted who race trialed 2nd and 3rd respectively. Not being able to see the bars leaves me wondering if he just has a load more speed and cruising than my current lines but from what I can see the margins are small. Needless to say I am planning to breed the hell out of him.

Secondly a multi G1 winning game horse has produced a monster at 3m hurdles again trailing a long way ahead of my current crop who also fared ok at the race trial. Like 6-8 lengths and he is never hard pressed so I do not know how good he is. Was awful in game could not win a race. Again I assume what I cannot see is the difference maker and again as a colt he is scheduled for a lot of breeding.

The biggest things I noted was the difference between my two jump stables, both have been played in the same manner, both have about 30 seasons into them, and both produce horses that look about the same, if anything my Irish stable looks better. But in trial terms the Irish are mostly destroyed there are maybe 5 in total that make the grade and none are stars, both disciplines and all but the 4m distance is dominated by my uk game. So much so the Irish barn I am going to delete. I do wonder if the horses the game throws up are set and how much mass breeding programmes and then auctions shape the game pool. My Irish hordes are mostly firm and good ground horses, everything in the game breeding pool is the same, not a single soft or heavy ground horse. The only ones I bred came from the mares.

Just my musings

Josh

Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:22 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: NH Breeding
Started National Hunt breeding after the new year I wont be doing it for long i'l be happy with 5 horses for the hunt
soul destroying waiting until a horse reaches 7 and 8 too see if they reach full potential and when they dont
it can feel like a real hammer blow (& not many have even when both parents are full bar 7yo's) it seems really hit or miss
so will be happy to go back to the flat :lol:

Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

It certainly takes a lot of time far exceeding the effort per horse on SO6 and I have still not entirely set on my method. Right now I am breeding 4 year cycles before cutting off and exporting them, and then refreshing the breeding line. Avoiding inbreeding is a pain.

I also like to keep my breeding barn manageable but still likely turn out 50-70 horses per season, per game, I may increase now I am going down to just the one stable. Of that 50-70 I probably keep about 20-30 for racing and progression, though every season I seem to miss a couple that turn into monsters in game. I would estimate only 5-10 of that number get to full potential, realised or not regardless of the parents. I have also finally seen horses appear with stats that seem in excess of both parents but it is rare. I would say potential is not everything I have found when it comes to trial, neither of the two horses I mention above hit full potential both flatline at 80 and 90%, but they look a lot better than the full potential types they beat. So whilst many of my better horses and lines do max out between 7 and 8 it does not always reflect in trial, and I am quite forgiving on the potential bar when looking at what to keep. I have never had a horse 3m+ reach full potential I can only seem to do it with 2m and the odd 2.4m horse.

All my effort is directed at the jumps right now, not even sure I shall have a flat team and if I do it will be quickly assembled.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:47 am
Group 3 winner

We will all breed differently now I think. As soon as my colts turn 3 I will look at the potential and if I think it won't get high enough to judge their ability I will sell them and if they turn out good and end up the the breeding barn I will send them a few mares. Josh my 3m plus horses are by far my best horses and all get full potential but anything under 3m and i'm struggling. I don't think either my jumps or flat team will be full. I'll be lucky to even get any hurdlers apart from 3m ones.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:52 am
Group 1 winner

Much as I dislike the additional faff and breeding randomness I like that you have to really plan your breeding.

Think we may end up with a fairly open league where no one player dominates, least I hope.

Thu Jan 09, 2020 12:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]