View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 possible retirement 
Handicapper

Post possible retirement
Not sure if i have the energy to continue, love the game love the league, but i came home saturday night to realise someone has been on my computer and has downloaded something that's messed it up, been working over the weekend so have not been able to take a look into it. i came home today for someone to decide i'd be ok with them using sytem recovery on my computer (destructive) so therefore i've lost all my data and i'm not sure i have the determination to start from scratch we'll see how bored i get lol.

I will continue to put my horses in races to see how the run if there not competetive after a few more weeks i may aswell bow out. It's such a shame i have been wanting to join the league for sometime now i have it may have been cut short.

Anyway just wanted to inform all but mainly rant as i've just come home to this and am very far from happy.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:24 pm
Group 1 winner

Damn, that would annoy me. Have you not backed up your saves?

(I say it like i do it :? )

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 pm
Group 1 winner

This would be a nightmare for me. My old computer did somthing and crashed. Had to re-install windows but I had backed up my SO3 files. I used to back up everyday. Now I have a new laptop I rarely back up. After hearing this I may back up.

Mate dont bow out. As much as it hurts restart? I think there will be another season of SO3 and if not you will have some new stock for future uploads.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:52 pm
Group 3 winner

it has happened to me..lost all my good horses from last season incl champion stayer Beach Buddy

so i now back up every other day

plz do the same everyone it saves u heartache

Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:57 pm
Handicapper

I do have one back up but it is from many seasons ago, it just pains me to think of all the hours i'll have to spend to get to where i'm currently at (or was rather) To be honest it never occured to me to back up my files i use my computer for genera use so i thought it'd take alot for something to happen, but recently allowed others to use it as the laptop in the house is broken, i guess that was enough not sure whats gone on everyone has used it though all deny doing anything (rolls eyes)

I do hope to find the determination to keep going as the league really got me enjoying the game, but seeing how far off the standard i was (which i didn't mind) so to start again from scratch it seems like a real chore.

Perhaps i'm just still really annoyed at the fact of whats happend in a few days i may have settled down and want to play again i hope so, though those first few decades in game are going to seem like hard work.

Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:07 pm
Group 2 winner

I do hope you decide to restart and stay in the league with us.

Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:02 am
Handicapper

There's nothing worse than losing your game. I've had terrible luck with hard drives recently having had three fail on me, and that's after twelve years of never having hard drive problems. I'm normally good at backing data up regularly but I got lazy and it cost me, fortunately though I had only played eighteen seasons although I had built some extremely solid bloodlines; that was a bit gutting. I feel you for mate.

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:32 pm
Handicapper

Cheers for your replies and sympathy lol took a look at my back up at it's not even half the seasons i was upto i'm still unsure what to do, though to be honest a few weeks back i was thinking of starting a new game so maybe i will, But since then work has picked up so therefore doing more hours etc not sure how much time i will have spare though if what jason says there might possibly be a new season it maybe worth having a go. We'll see.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:14 am
Handicapper

Hmm have decided to give it another go, though so far it's not going to well haha, crashed in my 3rd season (didn't save) Played on hard then decided to play on normal again, started again and crashed on my 3rd season (low spec build) lol had this problem before downloaded this patch http://www.startersorders.com/phpBB2/vi ... t=low+spec and all seemed fine after installing cannot access this patch anymore is it just me or can anyone else access it? Just saying not found just assumed maybe i have my security level to high and won't let me download or something not sure not a wizard with computers.

i'll post on that topic hopefully if it has been removed it will be added again, just thought i'd post here as i may get a responce quicker and find out if the patch is down or if it's just my computer that won't let me download it.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Hi mate that doesn't sound good. The link is broken. Have you tried the patch released yesterday?

Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:59 pm
Handicapper

Cheers Jay didn't realise there was a new patch and from what i had gathered i didn't think the low spec build had been introuduced with other patches as he said in that link, Anyway, some work was done to lower the video ram requirements during the race (which may help you). The patch has not been fully tested yet but you may try it here: http://www.strategicdesigns.co.uk/downl ... ch1066.zip

So with him saying it's not been fully tested i didn't think it'd be included with the newer patches. Anywho downloaded it now gonna try again hopefully with success.

On another note i have decided to start from scratch for a few reasons really 1) My other game is both jumps/flat but i don't bother with jumps so it's adds time when finishing each season so i decided it'll be much easier to stick with flat only 2) i only had blood lines ranging from 5f-1m2f and i noticed alot of races coming up in the league at 1m4f 1m6f so i think i'll start breeding upto 1m6f, slowly though i think i'll stick with my sprinters for the first few years get a steady blood line going then slowly build up. Hopefully it'll work out well for the league in the long run.

My retirement didn't last long did it? the game is far to addictive, think i was just furious the other day (world had come to an end or something) which to be fair felt like it did lol.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:44 pm
Group 1 winner

LOL. I would feel the same if that happenend to me mate.

Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]