View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Stable size changes 

Change stable size flat
Poll ended at Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:39 am
Reduce Stable size to 20 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Keep stable size at 25 but max nominations now 20 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
No change 72%  72%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 25

Stable size changes 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Stable size changes
As I have said on a number of occasions. Schedule just needs some small tweaks and we will be fine. In most parts the schedule is fine. But by usng some anyalsis code will sort out the issues with minimal addition of races.

There will be some course changes. Am experimenting to try find fairer courses where the draws don't matter that much. Chepstow is one course that works well

Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:35 pm
Handicapper

There has been a few complaints about two trainers dominating the flat league this season. In my opinion reducing stable size is the only way of reducing this. So if people don't mind top trainers dominating then vote for no change. If people are not happy then vote for max stable size 20, or max entries 20.

If a top trainer has 25 horses, he has 25 chances of winning per week. If he only has 20, he only has 20 chances and lower trainers have a better chance of winning the other 5 races that his 5 horses would have been entered in. Obviously there is double entries etc, but I'm just illustrating a point.

I don't think I'll vote as I'm not bothered enough either way.

I do think polls work better when there is only two options though. For example those who vote for max stable 20 would probably vote for max entries 20 if there was only two options, max entries 20 or no change. The result would therefore be closer. Also do we really know who is voting? They might not even be league players or could even be fake accounts. Might be better to vote by posting a comment rather than a poll for important decisions.

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:11 am
Group 1 winner

I am not sure I really care but voted no change as I simply cannot be arsed to work out a new flat team composition. And I remember when we had a 20 horse limit, a few trainers still dominated.

If we change it back folks will once again realise they cannot cover everything ages and distances with 20 and we can have a poll to change it back to 25 again. Individual views will have changed of course as people move between the top middle and low tiers..........

Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:48 am
Group 3 winner

Will be nice to see more 14f races, only have one horse at the Ledger distance and didn't want to run him over other distances so he wasn't entered up but then entered the 15f race in France and thought he was going to break his maiden only to be caught in the final 100yds. Nowhere to go this week so thrown him into a 12f race, who knows?

I also had problems with middle/low class 7f horses, don't really like putting two in a race but had no choice.

btw. I voted to keep stable size as it wouldn't make any difference on the domination thing. I think you are right the schedule just needs tweeking and all will be good, after all nobody can win every race and if you enter 2 in the big races you have less horses to enter elsewhere.

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2