View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 6:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Titles 

Should league titles be based on wins or money?
Poll ended at Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:12 am
Wins 37%  37%  [ 7 ]
Money 21%  21%  [ 4 ]
Shared 42%  42%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 19

Titles 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Titles
Githyanki wrote:
That may well be true, but as it is may also be a matter of perspective. By week 3 or 4 I am generally past caring anyway, don’t knock my enthusiasm whilst it lasts.

No intention in taking the jam out of your doughnut Josh :D

I have aired my views on allowing polls to dictate the future of the league many times, especially when a single vote is being used to decide, the thing is too close to call.

All has run well enough for the past umpteen seasons, do we need to fix something that is not broken ?

Where's the President when you need him :wink:

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 am
Group 1 winner

I've always known it to be wins from way back in the days of the early SO leagues.

I honestly don't mind which way it's goes. But I'll have my 2 cent on this topic. To win it outright it should be wins and prizemoney combined.

I voted with shared if it's 2 different trainers with most wins and most prizemoney.

Craig

Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:22 am
Group 1 winner

Why not have a overall champion between the jumps and flat , so whoever wants to be champion and theres a few people in here that wants the kudos then they have to have a good flat and jumps team . So u have points in each of the 4 divisions and whoever gets the most points is the Champ. :D

Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:00 am
Group 1 winner

Anadin wrote:
Githyanki wrote:
That may well be true, but as it is may also be a matter of perspective. By week 3 or 4 I am generally past caring anyway, don’t knock my enthusiasm whilst it lasts.

No intention in taking the jam out of your doughnut Josh :D

I have aired my views on allowing polls to dictate the future of the league many times, especially when a single vote is being used to decide, the thing is too close to call.

All has run well enough for the past umpteen seasons, do we need to fix something that is not broken ?

Where's the President when you need him :wink:

He's hiding 8)

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:00 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 1 winner

I really don't get why this is being debated........again.

Instead of thinking about one award for one trainer, why are you all not trying to think of multiple awards so three to five or more trainers can pick something up?
An award for most winners, an award for most prizemoney, an award for most handicap winners, an award for most placings, an award for best winning strike rate, an award for best placing strike rate.

Share the love around.....this is only a very small game and it appears this season has had the lowest turn out of trainers - since maybe SO5?

The more important question should be 'how do we grow the league?'

Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:29 am
Handicapper

NPG319 wrote:

For me personally, I think that "League Mode" in SO7 is too hard for Newbies.

Look at the Leader Board Logs and the majority of the names are trainers who have done well in the past.

I am not saying make the game so easy that everyone breeds Frankels every season but there must be there must be some compromise between me spending 4 hours a day grinding out horses for little reward and the casual player who spends 1 or 2 hours a day on SO7.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:39 am
Group 1 winner

Jim Murray wrote:
NPG319 wrote:

For me personally, I think that "League Mode" in SO7 is too hard for Newbies.

Look at the Leader Board Logs and the majority of the names are trainers who have done well in the past.

I am not saying make the game so easy that everyone breeds Frankels every season but there must be there must be some compromise between me spending 4 hours a day grinding out horses for little reward and the casual player who spends 1 or 2 hours a day on SO7.

That's a fair call.
The top trainers have a head start because they are experienced trainers, they know what they're doing and what to look for, so regardless, new trainers will in general, struggle the first season.
I think once they enter a stable, we need some sort of environment that wants them to stick around. Give them some sort of low targets to aim for or something like that.
Get them involved in the forum - take the emphasis off from trying to be the best and breeding monsters to breeding decent horses.
The new trainers with time on their hands and a drive to win Group races will find a way to breed monsters - they're not hard to retain.
If we can show the casual trainers how to breed decent horses - I think that is the way to go.
From my observations it seems like it's not too hard to get a decent horse from what I am reading in the forums.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 am
Group 1 winner

I also think that needing to race everything in the ck to find a decent horse is a major, major mistake - a sergeant major mistake.

It should be that you need to play the league mode but you generate your league horses from playing the stock schedule. Then if need be you take your best GN horses (for example) and race them in the ck to find your best 2 or 3 horses to enter in the league.

Another mistake, as it seems is that you need to play a combined game to get decent horses. It should be that if you want to play the American or Australian flat game that you should be able to get very good horses for the league flat game and if you want very good hunt horses then you need to play the hunt only game or the combined game.

So some things are really out of our hands - these are really something Mark needs to look at.

As it seems to me at the moment - playing the league mode schedule is really only there to condition each horse - good or bad and it's running in the ck where you find the best horses to enter and breed with. That to me seems very uninspiring and very boring.

That doesn't seem to be an attractive package, to me and I dare say to new trainers coming into the league.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:40 am
Handicapper

I totally agree with you about having to keep using the CK to trial horses. A horses form in the main game should be transferrable to league performance.

I just trialled a 3yo colt in the Ck with 100% potential, 100% speed and 90% acceleration who won every Group race he was entered into as a 3yo. He is absolutely rubbish in the CK, finishing 6 lengths behind the horse I uploaded to the league.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:22 am
Group 1 winner

Jim Murray wrote:
I totally agree with you about having to keep using the CK to trial horses. A horses form in the main game should be transferrable to league performance.

I just trialled a 3yo colt in the Ck with 100% potential, 100% speed and 90% acceleration who won every Group race he was entered into as a 3yo. He is absolutely rubbish in the CK, finishing 6 lengths behind the horse I uploaded to the league.

That's what I am talking about.

Imagine a first time league trainer who had your 3yo - it has everything to be a top horse and high expectations but when it enters the league, it's a dud.
How disappointing that would feel?

Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:35 am
Group 1 winner

I have to say I agree with a lot of this.

I came back to SO7 league after many years away and so remembered all of the 'tips' around trialling and breeding only with good CK horses. But I knew ahead of buying the game just how much of a slog it was going to be to breed and trial for the league and July-Oct did feel like I had a second job spending so many hours playing and trialling. Thankfully I am seeing some pretty decent results beyond what I had hoped for already after just one week (and a few weeks 2 comms) which makes it feel worthwhile but I definitely can see how a total newbie would be far more put off at that early stage.

If the game form translated to the ck it would make everything so much easier and the ck would jsut be about trialling your best horses from different generations. It would also make the game itself more fun to play as you would then build a much stronger affinity with your superstars knowing that they would likely be the horses who fly the flag for your stable in the league.

It would also make it much easier and quicker to get through seasons and drive improvements in different areas.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:20 am
Group 1 winner

The game and CK difference has always been a nonsense and I honestly believe in creating this league mode we have basically killed the league, it is not just that only a few trainers can find success it is basically you can only find success if your game allows it and you have no idea of that until you run them in the league against the level someone else’s game allows. And then if your off pace your only option is to start again. Who really wants to keep doing that.

I cannot improve my horses, does not seem to matter what I try, the team this year as basically exactly the same as the team last year, i expect to have pretty much the same set of results, I cannot see what I am doing and plan a multiple generation bar improvement so I am stuck with the mean average of my game stock and blind luck, and that just recycles year on year on year. Take my 2.4m chasers, they are off the pace, I have no clue why and thus I have no idea how to improve them, It is garbage and I think it is highly unlikely I shall be around for season 3, there is only so much banging my head against a wall I can take.

It is more luck now than it ever was, least with the bars and the tff anyone could catch up by applying a known and public method, take someone like jango, yes we shall see new blood come through, but they will still only get so far. I doubt many of the new chaps (not returning) will be around for long and we have already lost a host of the old guard too.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 am
Group 1 winner

I have been able to find steady improvements to be fair Josh and when i've found the right gamehorses to breed with i've then followed those specific distances to get improvments in those areas. So far i'm yet to get into a 5-10 season rut where no improvement comes whatsoever, although I do get those patches for certain distances eg. Living Legend has been my best sprinter for 15 seasons now.

I think the horses game form should be how good that horse is as that will then maintain interest in the actual game and the horses, as well as making it easier to find horses for the league. I hate it when my league horses are ones that were awful in the game - thankfully my week 1 starts were my best game horses too.

So what is the final decision on titles? I like the idea of different ones as suggested above:

Undisputed champion - title awarded if one trainer has most wins and most prize money (and double undisputed if it happens across both codes)
Most wins (two titles, one for each code)
Most prize money (again for each code)
Each-way title (most placings in top 5, one for each code)
Best newcomer

Plus any others?

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:45 am
Group 1 winner

No issues with mine. I have improved even with 3yos who were usless last season in the same game. I think restarting the game is your issue. There is no need. If you weak in a distance or in my case 3yos and 2yos the ai provides and you can find something. The best horses horses to breed from are not always the mult winning group 1's but I have said that before

Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:50 am
Group 1 winner

Wait til you get a 30+ season rut one where you have so many breeding mares you can cover every horse in game multiple times and still find they are about the same or usually worse than what you already have. Not saying you cannot improve in game something you have previously not explored and it is likely that a combined game gives you even more scope, but your still limited by the luck of the draw in what your game throws up. If it is a good one happy days you can tell yourself it is about your skill, if not it is just a tedious and repetitive cycle of pointlessness and frustration.

Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next