View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Sorry Martin 
Group 2 winner

Post Sorry Martin
Ypsilanti Malyoon, Ypsilanti is a city in Michigan :) Each season I pick a city from a certain country, depending on the game. It's mostly China an US, then just add the second name from whatever the computer has generated. It could have been worse as there were 150 Ypsilanti's, but only 1 made it :lol: :lol:

I think it's pronounced yipsilanti or ipsilanti

All those flashy greys are thanks to Osaka Play, probably as good a horse as I ever had in the league. Kind of went under the radar even tho it was in the league 3 seasons, winning group 1s at 2, placed in multiple group1s at 3, then winning multiple group1s at 4

Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:45 am
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Sorry Martin
kniesh wrote:
Ypsilanti Malyoon, Ypsilanti is a city in Michigan :) Each season I pick a city from a certain country, depending on the game. It's mostly China an US, then just add the second name from whatever the computer has generated. It could have been worse as there were 150 Ypsilanti's, but only 1 made it :lol: :lol:

I think it's pronounced yipsilanti or ipsilanti

All those flashy greys are thanks to Osaka Play, probably as good a horse as I ever had in the league. Kind of went under the radar even tho it was in the league 3 seasons, winning group 1s at 2, placed in multiple group1s at 3, then winning multiple group1s at 4

It is usually Leon who tests me out with his names but this season you and Padraig are giving him a run for his money so far !

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:51 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I have never understood why people just don’t name all their horses.

Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:02 pm
Group 2 winner

I usually name mine as yearlings, at the same time just get rid of anything who's stats are no good, so it kills two birds. It does take a while though, usually naming about 150 a season

Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:07 pm
Group 1 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I have never understood why people just don’t name all their horses.

I name all mine and after real horses apart from one time when i thought the horse was rubbish and wouldn't get to full potential and turned out to be a superstar in league , i hated that i didn't name him :lol:

Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:40 pm
Selling plater

I had a game bred that looked like making my team a few months ago which I wouldn't have a clue how to say, so I was glad it slowly got down the order.

I try and name my after the parents once i get going into a save, so I can tell by name what type of horse they are. Lavish Flame, comes from Fantasy Flame. Purple Flame from Lavish flame, most Purple Flame horses name start with Purple.

I was using Chat GPT to come up with names for awhile as it was becoming the hardest part of the game, coming up with 100 odd names.

Wed Nov 15, 2023 11:56 pm
Group 1 winner

I do exactly the same, all my horses are named after a line of sorts, if I get something new or special I often start a new naming convention to mark the advance. On the NH it’s even easier since I split just chasers and non chasers with the prefix ‘The’. And vinny you are either breeding a lot or I’m more unforgiving, I average 30 per year from my two flat games, and 60-80 on my NH game.

Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:53 am
Selling plater

Apologies to the commentators for a few of mine:

Vespertilio Ab Inferno is Latin for Bat out of Hell (which I'd already used on a dud)

Fischl Von Luftschloss and Flowers for Fischl - That is an "L" at the end and not an "I", so it's pronounced "Fishel" :-)

At least I've refrained from using Irish (Gaelic) names! Some of those have caused carnage in the real world..

Padraig

Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:24 pm
Group 2 winner

Githyanki wrote:
I do exactly the same, all my horses are named after a line of sorts, if I get something new or special I often start a new naming convention to mark the advance. On the NH it’s even easier since I split just chasers and non chasers with the prefix ‘The’. And vinny you are either breeding a lot or I’m more unforgiving, I average 30 per year from my two flat games, and 60-80 on my NH game.

I do breed a lot now that all my games are individual distances especially. The reason being that entries are extremely easy as they all just need entering into one distance. There's no messing round checking distances etc. I also have a slightly different philosiphy on Mares, in that I think they're really important to carry on traits. So I keep any filly's that get any points in my trials, but with notes about what their stats are. I can still fly through a season an trials in 2-3 days. Usually have about 200 mares in each game, each game for 1 distance though.

Thu Nov 16, 2023 5:09 pm
Group 3 winner

my horses are mainly named after songs
except white horses :lol:

Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:18 pm
Group 3 winner

Githyanki wrote:

Do u bred 60-80 or race 60-80, if u race 60-80 that is a lot :shock: I like to have around 80 to 120 and when I get to 120 mares I start cutting . That's around 15 new horses a year, that's as much as I want to race each year.

Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:43 pm
Group 2 winner

Part of the fun for me when commentating is working out people interests and likes from what they call their horses. Doug, Stu and me had a lot of fun with it in the days of SO6 review shows.

Paul Rhodes had the mickey taken out of him something rotten for calling horses Jenny Bond, Theresa May, Juliet Bravo etc but he took it in good part.

James Follis became F1 Follis as he named them after F1 drivers. Satyam used cricket fielding positions. John Morgan and Kevin Meenaghan use a lot of old horse names which is good. Lots use songs.

For my part if something appropriate from the sire and dam comes up I use that. If there is a theme with a sire or dam I use that. I had a top mare called Biba Roar so used things connected to the Biba fashion chain in the 60s. I had a stallion called Filibuster Hair so I used haircuts and references to Hair. Pixie Cut, Rapunzel etc. Sometimes I use films or TV series and then name after characters or actors. That leads to spin offs. For example I have Finding Alice whose dam was Joanna Lumley and she was in Finding Alice. JL got her name from some other film. I use bands and music a lot too. My go to when I am in a rush is to pull an old Timeform book out (I have almost the lot going back to 1943) and take random names from there. I also use French or Italian versions of names. Even tried a few Arabic hoping they would come out Godolphinesque but they never seem to work. Ones that have have never made the league team.

It's fun guessing. I remember my very first commentary someone had a horse named after the latest Roisin Murphy album and I asked if there was a fan in the house.

Keep them coming I usually get tham right in the end. I even miss Unedliche Geschitske or whatever it was called now and then

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:51 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Lordedaw wrote:
Part of the fun for me when commentating is working out people interests and likes from what they call their horses. Doug, Stu and me had a lot of fun with it in the days of SO6 review shows.

Paul Rhodes had the mickey taken out of him something rotten for calling horses Jenny Bond, Theresa May, Juliet Bravo etc but he took it in good part.

James Follis became F1 Follis as he named them after F1 drivers. Satyam used cricket fielding positions. John Morgan and Kevin Meenaghan use a lot of old horse names which is good. Lots use songs.

For my part if something appropriate from the sire and dam comes up I use that. If there is a theme with a sire or dam I use that. I had a top mare called Biba Roar so used things connected to the Biba fashion chain in the 60s. I had a stallion called Filibuster Hair so I used haircuts and references to Hair. Pixie Cut, Rapunzel etc. Sometimes I use films or TV series and then name after characters or actors. That leads to spin offs. For example I have Finding Alice whose dam was Joanna Lumley and she was in Finding Alice. JL got her name from some other film. I use bands and music a lot too. My go to when I am in a rush is to pull an old Timeform book out (I have almost the lot going back to 1943) and take random names from there. I also use French or Italian versions of names. Even tried a few Arabic hoping they would come out Godolphinesque but they never seem to work. Ones that have have never made the league team.

It's fun guessing. I remember my very first commentary someone had a horse named after the latest Roisin Murphy album and I asked if there was a fan in the house.

Keep them coming I usually get tham right in the end. I even miss Unedliche Geschitske or whatever it was called now and then

You forgot the best of them 5 time G1 winner and dual classic winner Dame Helen Mirren :D :D :D

Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:36 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Quote:
Do u bred 60-80 or race 60-80, if u race 60-80 that is a lot :shock: I like to have around 80 to 120 and when I get to 120 mares I start cutting . That's around 15 new horses a year, that's as much as I want to race each year.

I run three games. My single NH game has anywhere from 250 to 400 mares, it builds up and I cull periodically, 60-80 is average yearly keepers of which say 20 straight to stud. My two flat game are around the same size 150 to 200 mares each, keepers of around 40 to 60 with again around 20 straight to stud. It's why I run my games in batches of three seasons, so I only ever have to manage three year classes at a time.

Not that I am actually doing this much right now, the game, more specifically the league game you just happen to play, decides everything, after that’s it’s just luck, and the game no longer holds my interest. We killed it accidentally when we stopped progress and replaced it with a grind to stand still.

Josh

Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]