View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 11:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Observations 
Group 3 winner

Post Re: Observations
Githyanki wrote:
It’s interesting how people do things so differently. Personally my best flat horses are always picked based on 3yo form, I pick my 3yo’s first when doing my team, and my 3yo crop are usually pretty competitive. Often as not they come back at 4yo just because I want two seasons out of them rather than on merit, but I also know at four I don’t compete with the top tier flat trainers anyway so who cares, I’d rather win a classic and get two seasons of the same horses. Then churn and waste time trying to compete with older combined types. I return NH horses on the same basis also, neither of my 9yo world hurdle candidates are in the team on pure merit alone my novice entries are far better.

But I will echo what I have said before, too much is made of one game type having an advantage over another, they all offer advantages and disadvantages. What people should be moaning about is why in the name of god did mark create hidden stats and make game form different to exported league form, though personally I am tend to think now it was less by intent and more by random bad coding. If your starting pool of horses does not have these hidden factors or you miss the ones that do, your screwed and will never catch a player who has these things in abundance. So it’s just blind luck, as I have always said :).

The only thing league mode did, was prevent everyone from being on an even field. With the tff any trainer like I did, could join the league and catch up, it just took effort. With league mode we decided to punish people making the effort to help those who either could not or did not want to do the same. The effort for reward aspect now, is keep playing new games to find those hidden variables, my new US game at 40 seasons is light years ahead of my 90 season old Aussie flat game, and at 25 seasons my U.K. one has pretty much reached the same level now too, I am not doing anything different between, they just have better available horses, or I missed them long ago in the Aussie game.

I'd slightly disagree about countries having advantage over others and it comes down to u schedule, I think it mimics what races are in u schedule. Take for instance the US game, if u play the US game and only use the in house schedule game then u can Never bred proper distance horses because the AI won't give u any to bred to and then u don't get the horses with the high cruise speed, and so u game misses out on them horses. I wanted an all round US game and so I made 40 or 50 races from 1m4 up and the game gave me 1m4 plus horses to bred to so I could bred 2m plus horses. I also think the first set of horses u given when starting a game are by far the most important because u given all the ingredients like high cruise and high speed bars that u need to find, if u don't find them after the first set of horses are gone then they disappear for ever. I think newbies trying to play the league game or just normal regular players don't really realise that and that's why u hear people complaining in the normal forums that the game is to hard. If u miss out on those high bar horses at the start then u never get them again. I think my new jumps game after 20 breeding seasons is by far the best I've ever had at that stage because of the game I had made when I thought I wasn't going to bred again for the league. Its a UK main game ( a lot different to the in house schedules) with Ireland/France/Australia also playing. It has 50% UK races with 25%Ireland and around 12% france/Australia. The overseas stallions are miles and miles better than the UK stallions and that's why my game is better than before, I only ever used a UK jumps schedule without even having irish races. They might not look great when against the league monsters but they by far better than at 20 seasons before .

Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:59 am
Selling plater

Thoughts from a new trainer.

The fact offline and online form doesnt match is a massive reason it feels like a slog and makes it hard for newer league players. If they matched it would make the game offline more exciting too because you will see how your x g1 horse fairs against the rest. Would also make it easier to move through seasons instead of stopping to trail to find out the offline 90 rated "donkey" is the best thing you have bred for seasons. Because he is a donkey no AI trainers go near him too, so you cant improve the pool too.

Also if offline and online matched, it would help grow the league and the game as well. A healthier league would only help the game sales/play time etc.

I actually had the same thought about 3yo horses a few weeks ago when i started to get into the swing of the league and schedule. Thought why did i upload a few 3yo sprinters, and longer horses. Maybe this changes as the schedule goes through the second half. So far my thoughts next season would be 2/3 of team as 4 year olds. Maybe 2 2 yr olds and only classic horses for 3 yr olds ( if i can find any haha)

Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:50 am
Group 1 winner

You need a balanced team though or you will find there are not enough races available for you to enter. 3yo’s are what they are, they will win their age group races if good enough and find it harder with the older horses. I tend to think this is pretty reasonable. Long distance 3yo horses are pointless, not because they are 3 but because there are hardly any races on the schedule for them. I have more 3yo’s in my team than any other age group, simply as for me that where I want my success.

As for schedules, that make sense John, but I think you can still build Uber lines from a base game schedule, I play all my games on base game schedules. And I also have a 22 season old new NH game, which has access to 82% cruise, full potential and higher speed and the other elements I think matter than my current game. And they are all about 10 lengths or more behind my vastly inferior main league horses. They can be the best looking horses in the world, utterly dominate the game races, but without the things I cannot see, they are about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:23 am
Group 1 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:
I've had a look and my team goes against what Paul says.

Steinbeck and Get Stuck in mopped up between them all the top 6f sprints as 3yo's 2 seasons ago.

Nifty won the Commonwealth and just ran into 2 of my monster sprinters. Angie Baby who won the irish 1000 won grade 1's against older horses. White Poppy and Birchwood also won grade 1's last year.

I'd say i had 9 quality 3yo's the last 2 years and 7 won grade 1's in open company and the other 2 ran second in grade 1's.

It can be done but they have to be top class horses to beat the older horses. I'd say the older horses have probably 1 or 2 pounds advantage over the younger horses.

But you already admitted you play a combined game which I believe has an advantage

Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:30 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

There is no advantage in combined games anymore as Mark tweaked the code that 4yos are better than the combined 6 and 7yos.

Flat only games should have an advantage ( as horses get full potential earlier, very hard to get full potential at 4 in combined) and 4yos will be superior but this was communicated when the change was made a some 3 seasons back so that the older 6 and 7yos wouldn't dominate the flat leagues anymore. Probably far better to have superior 4yos rather than 6,7 and 8yos on the flat

There are enough 3yo only races and as Dan says you can bring back the horses when they turn 4

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:08 am
Group 1 winner

I am also starting to think, bars help mark a jump or flat horse, or rather that certain combinations of bars won’t help a certain type of horse be better than it would be without them, almost as if there is some upper ability cap you cannot get past, regardless of what you improve, and run style also comes into play so that cap for a front runner will be different for a hold up type………. It’s not really a theory I have bottomed out yet.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:19 am
Group 1 winner

And I agree with Leon, it played out in all my games after the change was made. I suddenly had 4yo lines who hit full potential, having never done so before and now full potential at 4 in a flat game is not a difficult thing to achieve, and we saw a results shift from 6 and 7 year old flat horses being dominant to 4.

The only advantages I see with combined, is for those who can work with it, you only need one game, and you get the double dip potential gain. But I don’t think this is any more or leas advantageous than the slow burn on pure NH so peak at 8 and the chance that a flat game can give you a full potential 3yo. No other format can do that.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:28 am
Group 1 winner

its just a slight observation I'm looking forward to SO8

want to wish everyone on here a very happy Christmas and a healthy new year

A massive thanks to all the unsung heroes who run the league very much appreciate evrrything you do
and having done it in the past know how much time goes into it for everyone else's enjoyment

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:39 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Most active conversation we have had here for ages. You even got Leon involved :)

Hope you have a great Christmas too and a few winners along the way.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:42 am
Group 3 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
ghostzapper74 wrote:
I've had a look and my team goes against what Paul says.

Steinbeck and Get Stuck in mopped up between them all the top 6f sprints as 3yo's 2 seasons ago.

Nifty won the Commonwealth and just ran into 2 of my monster sprinters. Angie Baby who won the irish 1000 won grade 1's against older horses. White Poppy and Birchwood also won grade 1's last year.

I'd say i had 9 quality 3yo's the last 2 years and 7 won grade 1's in open company and the other 2 ran second in grade 1's.

It can be done but they have to be top class horses to beat the older horses. I'd say the older horses have probably 1 or 2 pounds advantage over the younger horses.

But you already admitted you play a combined game which I believe has an advantage

I've never played a combine game in my life . I opened a combine once just to see what all the fuss was and I couldn't believe how much it changed the game,i think it makes the game harder. Can u play quicker possibly but it over complicates the game. As my US game was made at the start of SO6 I was always going to use that, its 99% what I made and 1% marks game :lol: I know people say the game is flawed and that but this game is a open book to me where u could do what u want if u put the time in . As soon as this game came out I was always only ever going to use my US dirt game even if it meant I couldn't bred 1m4 plus horses but luckily the AI follows u schedule and because of the 50 so race I put in over 1m4 plus the AI gave out 1m4 plus horses so I could bred up 2m4 horses. Over jumps I only ever played a jumps game. My passion in real life is US and jump racing and I was only ever going to bred that way even if it turned out that it meant I was as a disadvantage in the league. I think u have to keep it fun to keep on breeding. I love my new jumps game with all the irish-french-oz jump races. I could play it without playing it for the league. I genuinely don't think a combine games gives an advantage and even if it did it way over complicates the game for me.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:21 pm
Group 3 winner

Vinny was saying a week or so ago how he's plays and trials and I think I do the opposite of him on the flat. But both ways work. If we get another season then I will split my jumps game up into 2 and have 1 for my chasers and 1 for my hurdlers, ill get through less seasons than everyone else but I feel it suits my breeding . I think by having smaller games I get to know my horses more, for me less is more. While other people have massive games , having around 100 to 120 mares is more than I can handle.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 12:32 pm
Group 2 winner

I don't see how combined horses have an advantage over flat only. I am about 10 clear in wins an winning on money, an every horse in my stable is from a flat only game. John would likely be beating me too if his game hadn't crashed, an I'm sure his are from a flat only game. I tried a combined game for flat horses for a while an they never got near the others once Mark changed the ageing system.

My only combined game is that leftover one that didn't work for the flat, an I'm now uploading NH horses only from it

Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:21 pm
Group 2 winner

I kind of agree with Josh in that you have to get the hidden stats thing into your horses. I don't think it's as much down to luck as mentioned though. Trialling the offspring of all the very early foreign stallions is the way to do it. Check the Foreign stallions stats at the start an then breeding to all them with as many mares as possible, then everything trialled in the CK straight away is how to get it. Then you can pick out the best triallers, and the best stats horses that are in the barn, an use them as much as possible. If you aren't trialing your horses very early on, you are leaving that part a bit down to luck as the hidden stats thing for me, is all to do with the CK an trials. I also agree it is annoying, an it shouldn't be different from game form. If these 2 matched up, we'd likely get the league growing a lot more. Possibly beyond what could be managed to be fair

The early part of your game is always the most important, first 10-20 seasons should be really slow an do everything should go through the trials system in the CK. Thats how I'd say you don't miss the hidden stats.

Not just foreign stallions sorry, the UK ones too, but the Foreign ones are the ones that stop coming after 20 seasons, so probably the most important early on

Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:35 pm
Group 2 winner

ghosty wrote:
Vinny was saying a week or so ago how he's plays and trials and I think I do the opposite of him on the flat. But both ways work. If we get another season then I will split my jumps game up into 2 and have 1 for my chasers and 1 for my hurdlers, ill get through less seasons than everyone else but I feel it suits my breeding . I think by having smaller games I get to know my horses more, for me less is more. While other people have massive games , having around 100 to 120 mares is more than I can handle.

This is similar to how I've adjusted my games lately. Mine was a full game with all distances an about 150 breeding mares. Except for my sprint game which I wanted branched off. Now I split it to distances for each game an it has less mares. I've found really getting to know my lines through less mares has helped. I still send as many to stud from my trials. I'm just a lot more ruthless each season on what I get rid of from breeding. I really improved my stable once I started doing this.

Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:44 pm
Group 2 winner

First things first. Its good to see a positive discussion going on, lets keep that up. Leon maybe you should sticky this up the top so people keep adding to it.

I play the combined game and my flat horses are useless despite winning everything in my own game. Have never been competitive outside of handicaps in the lesgue ... ever. But my NH team have always been just below the top 4 or 5 and I pick up some good big race wins. So make of that what you will.

I keep banging on at people to look at the legends editor as that will give a clue to how little it takes to move the bars on some things and how much it takes to move on others. It also shows that each horse is given a random base factor by which everything else is calculated, has tracks where it recieves a boost, months of the year where it runs better etc. So the game , as Josh has always said, is 50% luck 50% effort (time). Skill plays little or no part other than being able to figure out the best way to trial.

The thing we never take into account is that this game was created as a single player experience. So if within your game the ceiling is lower than in someone elses it never really mattered. Again this is where luck comes in and there is no way to tell how good your game is until you compete against others, by which time it may be too late.

Paul is the perfect example of this. When I joined he was right at the top and stayed there throughout SO6. When 7 arrived he was suddenly behind. Is that because he has forgotten what to do or has suddenly become a bad player. No it just means his game probably has a lower glass ceiling that Josh or Leon's.

Starters Orders is fundamentally a single player game trying to accomodate a multiplayer experience with fixes and compromises and that is why all these things happen. It is basically as simple as that.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 79 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next