View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 6:46 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 DECEMBER FESTIVAL HURDLE PREVIEW W7 R10 
Group 1 winner

Post DECEMBER FESTIVAL HURDLE PREVIEW W7 R10
NHC W7 R10 EU100,00 December Festival Hurdle
Leopardstown 2m1f G1 4yo+
Going: Soft.

ANGIES DELIGHT (Laurel Racing) – 4yo colt – L P Flynn (11st 8) – 100.
Disappointed in his first five starts over hurdles, finishing nearer last than first over distances ranging from 2miles-2m4f. Lost his maiden status last week in a 2mile restricted handicap at Chepstow. Very likeable to trainer who is always welcomed to the winners circle but there isn’t a chance of that happening in this race which is a few classes to high for this sort. Massive outsider.

BIG COMMOTION (Kevcon) – 5yo stallion – D J Casey (11st 8) – 118.
Disappointed in his first two starts before showing consistent form over his last for runs at around this distance. Has ran good races on all types of ground but the form is against weaker horses than some of the entries here and is still without a win. Best result so far is a 3rd in a listed race at Cheltenham over an extra furlong, but that form is miles away from what is required to win this G1. Outsider.

CHINESE WHISPER (HurricaneRun) – 5yo stallion – M J Bolger (11st 8) – 126.
Quickly asserted himself as a top-class hurdler by walking away with a maiden on his debut over 2m2f in week 1, before inflicting a first ever defeat upon Sandra Bullock in the Elite Hurdle at Wincanton. This victory has meant that he has carried extra weight over the next three G2 races he has contested, and the trainer considers this to be the only reason he has not scored since week 2. Finished behind Painted Robin and Zara in the Boylesports Hurdle at Cheltenham but can be expected to reverse that form at these weights. Carried 8lbs more than Istabraq last week in the Kennel Gate at Ascot when finishing just behind her and so back at level weights must be expected to reverse that form also. Leading contender and likely to be the one they all have to beat.

FARAMIR ASKARAR (Hemz123) – 5yo stallion – I J McCarthy (11st 8) – 133.
Think the trainer was wondering if this consistent hurdler would ever win a race after 3 2nds and a 4th in his first four races. The form of these races was strong however, finishing 2nd to Chinese Whisper in the Elite Hurdle before finding only Sandra Bullock too strong in the Champion Hurdle Trial the following week. The extra furlong allowed Sandra Bullock to get on top however, and as this lad beat her again in the Fighting Fifth over the minimum trip, the extra furlong is cause for concern. Will definitely be involved in the finish like the majority of horses coming from this stable, but will vulnerable to those with a bit more stamina. Leading contender.

ISTABRAQ (D Hooley) – 5yo gelding – M P Walsh (11st 8) – 131.
Any 2mile hurdler coming from this stable is expected to be top class, and Istabraq didn’t let punters down when making a successful start to his career in a maiden at Newcastle. He followed up with a good 2nd in the Kennel Gate Hurdle, in which it has been mentioned he enjoyed a huge weight advantage over Chinese Whisper. The extra furlong is an unknown but the ground shouldn’t be a problem, and it is entirely possible this horse could assert himself at the very end of the race. Expected to be there or thereabouts at the finish and could well win if the extra furlong isn’t a problem. Leading contender.

ITS FRANKEL TIME (Craig Stares) – 5yo mare – Miss N Carberry ( 11st 5) – 109.
Very modest form to date, finishing 4th twice and 7th three times, including when last in the G1 Maplewood Hurdle. Ran over a variety of tracks and ground conditions and none of the form on offer suggests this horse can feature in the finish of the race and is strongly opposed by a number of these who have the form in the book. Outsider.

PAINTED ROBIN (David Robertson) – 5yo mare – D O Connor (11st 5) – 128.
Looked a little short of the required class to win a top race when finishing 5th and 6th in group company first two starts. Ran a good race on soft ground over this distance when 2nd in the Boylesports, but carried 11bs less than Chinese Whisper that day. Ran another good race in the big hurdle handicap at Ascot the following week, and this mare can run a good race here without losing her maiden tag. Each-way possibility.

WONDERWALL (D Hinton) – 5yo stallion – S G McDermott (11st 8) – 100.
Another horse brought over to the NHC from the flat by Mr Hinton. Didn’t show much on the flat and only outing in the NHC was a 4th in a 6 runner restricted event at Chepstow last week. Unless 5 or 6 of these fall or pull-up during the race this horse will be considered an also-ran. Huge outsider.

ZARA (Rich Coates) – 5yo mare – P T Wright (11st 5) – 130.
Best runs have come over further than 2miles, so this 2m1f race on soft ground is certain to suit this mare. Ran a cracker over these conditions at Cheltenham last week to win the Boylesports but is another who finds herself worse off at the weights this week at G1 class. Was way behind Faramir Askarar in the Champion Hurdle Trial earlier in the season, but I’m sure the trainer is keen to write that off as a disappointing run. Could run a solid race but I think she will find one or two too good in this.

VERDICT: A few of these horses have met each other before, especially in the Boylesports Hurdle when Zara came out on top. This outstanding hurdle race however provides us with the opportunity to have a rematch off equal weights, and therefore I think Zara and Painted Robin may find themselves battling for minor honours. Istabraq looks to be another top class recruit from the David Hooley stable, who certainly knows a good 2mile hurdler when he sees one. He should run a nice race but it is CHINESE WHISPER who is the selection today, a horse who now back at level weights should assert his class over the rest of the field. Faramir Askarar is entitled to huge amounts of respect, however my one concern is the extra furlong. If the tank isn’t empty one furlong from home then he could well be a huge threat to the selection.

1. Chinese Whisper
2. Faramir Askarar
3. Istabraq

Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:48 pm
Group 1 winner

Anyone of 5 could have a big shout of glory this week.

However you are right in Chinese Whisper been the one to beat pal. If it can recapture his week 2 form, it will win here.

Am curious though does Hooley think Istabraq is better than SB?

Please Rich don't be late with the races this Thursday lol.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:07 pm
Group 3 winner

but i have to race it somewhere lol

Paul(LR)

will forever be corrupted to the core

hence its recent decision in Arabia

Backhanders Galore

Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:00 pm
Handicapper

Great review as always. So many hurdle reviews though! Give us the big chases too! I'd love to see what you're input is on the likes of the King George etc....

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:29 pm
Group 1 winner

youre right pete, i can only apologise bud. i realise ive focussed too much on the hurdle races, ill try do more chase ones!!

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:24 pm
Group 1 winner

i cant access TOM to do a chase preview, cant load sopl info site at all

Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:36 pm
Group 3 winner

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 am
Group 3 winner

Am curious though does Hooley think Istabraq is better than SB?

I think Istabraq is better on good and firm ground yes apart from Cheltenham SB loves the course and always trails very well there so she will race in the Champion Hurdle no matter what ground

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:52 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]