View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 12:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 TOM 11 Testing 
Handicapper

Post TOM 11 Testing
OK here we go.

As vaguely promised, we can start testing the new version of TOM.

I'll release pages (screens) based on the following list of functionality:
- user registration
- managing your stable (uploading horses etc)
- view/entering races

In terms of background info, the new version of TOM is fully integrated into Wordpress which means we will have all the access to Wordpress features such as posts, comments, roles etc etc.

You should now be able to register for TOM.

Go to www.sopl.info, click on Register link and follow the registration process. You will need to add basic details plus stable name and select your country. Please let me know if your country is missing from the list. You will be sent a system-generated email which will then allow you to log on.

Once you log on, you can use the TOM menu.

You will be able to view your stable (no horses yet) plus my stable under View All Stables. Once you upload horses, the list of active stables for a league will be automatically updated.

After any issues with the registration process are dealt with, I will then release the page(s) to upload horses. I stress that this is test data only and all horse related data will be deleted before the league commences.

Any questions or comments, please post here.

PS What rugby game??

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:02 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: TOM 11 Testing
I have been through the registration process (about 11.30am UK time) and everything went ok, but I have not received the system-generated email so that I can log on.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:32 pm
Group 3 winner

did u try checking ur spam?..because thats where i have found my email from sopl..

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 pm
Group 1 winner

keenanbrown wrote:
did u try checking ur spam?..because thats where i have found my email from sopl..

Yes, I have. Only email I have received since going through the registration process is from my niece telling me what she wants for xmas!

All I can think of is that for some reason I have misspelled my email or used a wrong domain (.com instead of .co.uk) :oops:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:26 pm
Handicapper

Kevcon wrote:
keenanbrown wrote:

Yes, I have. Only email I have received since going through the registration process is from my niece telling me what she wants for xmas!

All I can think of is that for some reason I have misspelled my email or used a wrong domain (.com instead of .co.uk) :oops:

I have checked the user management module and you registered under a .co.uk email. Message me if you need more info.

I have manually verified your account so you should be able to log on.

Good testing team :)

I decided we needed to have a bit of rigour behind registration so that we could control who accesses TOM and who can post etc. There are basically two options:
- auto-registration via email links
- manual registration requiring admin approval

The former has the advantage that it generally happens a lot quicker than the later altho if the emails become an issue we can revert to the later. While this is testing, you won't need to re-register down the track.

Once we get a few admins from the NH, these issues might be able to be dealt with quicker too.

I will release the upload horse functionality in the next 24-48 hours. This is one of the core functions. Once that is ticked off, I will then release the races pages including the ability to enter races. I suspect that will be around a week away allowing for testing of the other stages.

From my perspective, if we can tick off these three core functions, a streamlined TOM will be ready for action at least from a trainer perspective. I still need to migrate the backend/admin functions but that can happen while trainers are setting up their stables etc

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:27 pm
Group 1 winner

All fine when i registered Dodgy.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 pm
Group 1 winner

Thanks Dodgy

Able to log on now without any problems.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm
Group 3 winner

thanks for the update dodgy..really love the way the sopl site looks..i registered as usa but any chance we can have a philippine country because that is where i am living now..but if it is too much trouble then that is ok i am happy with usa because i am half american anyways..lol

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 pm
Handicapper

keenanbrown wrote:
thanks for the update dodgy..really love the way the sopl site looks..i registered as usa but any chance we can have a philippine country because that is where i am living now..but if it is too much trouble then that is ok i am happy with usa because i am half american anyways..lol

Thanks for that. I am hoping this will be the last rebuild of TOM (at least for me) and that it will be easier to maintain in future. The new structure incorporating Wordpress will give admins access to an enormous range of other functionality which could add further value to the site. The other point to make is that the issue with the current version of TOM was simply the challenge of setting up new seasons - the new version should make this happen seamlessly while potentially allowing for multiple seasons of the same league to be run concurrently. We will also be able to track future seasons by versions of SO (which allows for valid comparison of race records using the same engine) while the main benefit is one most of you won't be able to see - admins will be able to add and administer seasons without needing to know PHP or SQL.

I'm detailing this so that people will see that there is progress and while it may be slow at times, I hope the benefits will be worth it.

And I will add Philippines to the list of countries and update your record.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 am
Group 2 winner

Hi Dave

I did Register but got no email back so it wont let me log in & if u could add Thailand to the list of country's that would be great because thats where i live

Thanks Nash

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 am
Handicapper

nashwan wrote:
Hi Dave

I did Register but got no email back so it wont let me log in & if u could add Thailand to the list of country's that would be great because thats where i live

Thanks Nash

Sorted.

I've resent the verification email but also have manually verified your registration.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:07 am
Group 1 winner

got into it no probs at all though was a bit slow as stated otherwise took me a couple of minutes looks very good by the way nice work dave

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 pm
Handicapper

Thnkx. I have a couple of options for hosting the SOPL site if the performance becomes an issue but it would mean we lose some time testing at present. If it does become an issue, I can build the prod site elsewhere.

Hopefully once we have finished the testing, the SOPL staff can start adding content via WP and then we can really start rebuilding the online community around virtual races.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:56 pm
Group 3 winner

Dave i have registered and received email but can not open link to it ? so i can not sign in

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:38 pm
Handicapper

deltanion wrote:
Dave i have registered and received email but can not open link to it ? so i can not sign in

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. In theory, you should be able to click the link and boom!!

I will manually verify your rego now.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]