View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 pacemaker or no pacemaker 
Group 3 winner

Post pacemaker or no pacemaker
hi i was just doing a little trialing and i ran races with pacemakers and i ran races with no pacemakers at all and results and times are totally different..the question i have is what horses make your league squad the ones that do well with pacemakers in trials or the ones that win without pacemakers?.and when the league starts do the races have a very fast pace or slow pace?.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:42 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: pacemaker or no pacemaker
I've always had pacemakers. Reason why is you get a truly run race most times in your trails, without pacemakers the results can be misleading.

Usually you get fast run races in the league. Specially the flat league, the NH league can vary at times, depends on the horses running styles in the race.

Consistency in your CK trails are key IMO.

Hope this helps

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 am
Group 1 winner

The last two seasons the flat league has been run at a crawl and a lot of horses were nicking races off a slow pace. I had a lot of slight hold or hold up horses last season and they couldn't get into the races as they were run at a pedestrian pace. So I would recommend not having a stable full of hold up horses. For the longer distance flat races it isn't so much of a problem but it can be in small fields.

As for using pacemakers in trials I would say you have to. Try and use a horse whose running style is early pace and it should give you a decent gallop and then you should start clocking consistent times and results. Keep flat trials over a mile to fields of about 12, I sometimes limit it to 10.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:54 am
Group 3 winner

ok thanks for the info guys..i will use pacemakers for now on and i will try the only 12 horses like matt said..

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:04 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]