View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trainers Notes - Trial Day 4 
Group 1 winner

Post Trainers Notes - Trial Day 4
Flat

I have only moved my flat game forward by about 8 seasons, but there has been a real push on breeding and my trail results show solid progress. I am finding the gulf between my horses to be very wide right now, with only a few names constantly featuring through all ages and a range of distances, this likely denotes a lack of general quality in my breeding so expectations remain pretty low for my flat entries.

Race 1 6F Flat 2yo – Black Rider

Returns from the last trial, but a year younger and it is as a 2yo that this horse really shines. Run style is not ideal for the league as she likes to hold up and leave it late, but her turn of foot over the last 2f is a joy to behold. Dominates my 2yo division from 5f to 7f.

Race 3 6F Flat 3UP – Calm the Feck Down

Hails from my full potential sprint line, though the full potential part has now fallen away, line also carries the excitable characteristic which I usually bin in an effort to breed it out, but this chap had nice looking stats so I gave him a chance and he went onto be a real star at trial. Pulls the odd hissy fit from time to time still. Run style is ideal for the league as he likes to sit just off the pace makers and makes his challenge early. Ranges 5f to 7f and could be an option from 2yo+

Race 5 1M Flat 2yo – Rider on the Storm

Daughter of Black Rider above, Sire 'Whats the Catch' ran 3rd in the last trial. Shows her best form between 2yo and 3yo ranging from 7f to 1.1m. Run style seems to have come from the sire as she is less of a hold up type than her mum and instead tends to loiter mid pack or just off the leaders and challenges early. One I reasonably high hopes for.

Race 7 1M Flat 3UP – House That Frank Built

The game delivered me a 'Frankel' (not the legend as confirmed by Mark) who I obviously bred to as much as I could during the one season he stayed in my barn. For the most part the offspring were a major disappointment, but one sire 'Frank Reins' did make it to the barn and went on to bred this lass. Only really matured at 3yo, likely at her best from 4yo+. Known to set the pace or sit just off the leading horses and generally takes it up early. Ranges from 6f to 1m, so not entirely sure where her best work will be done.

Race 9 1M 4F Flat 3UP - Belladona

My first absolute stand out flat horse. Dominates my trials from 2yo+ at distances ranging from 1.2m to 1.6m. Shows her best form at 1.2 to 1.4 and she is light years ahead of anything else I have. Run style is hard to figure as she is so much better than anything else and wins from everywhere, seems to prefer staying just off the pace, but sometimes makes all. In breeding now and I am praying for a colt.

Jump

A lot more time has gone into my Jump stable, probably about 20 seasons in progression from the last trial and I have made good progress over both fences and hurdles and over all distances, but previous set of top horses have been soundly overthrown and given they were only a little off the pace in the last set of trials I have high hopes of giving Leon a little bit more of a challenge.

Race 2 2M Hurdle 4yo - Dominatrix

Not gotten to the point where it is worth investing the time to trial my 4yo hurdlers, so this is a bit of a punt. She is my stand out 2m hurdler as an 8yo and had the highest potential available to me, around 80%, at 4yo, not convinced my lines are good enough at this age generally so expectations are tempered. Run style is ideal as she tend to be in the group just following the leaders and takes it on early, jumping is fast and fluid, least it is at 8yo.

Race 4 2M Chase 7UP – Words That Hurt

Probably the line that has progressed the slowest and the only place where an export from my now deleted Irish stable still features. Not trialed at 7yo so this is something of an experiment, but just about tops the 2m chasers on my 8yo trial. Can be a little lazy in her run style and sometimes gets detached from the leaders, but turn of foot is good when she sets her mind to it and challenge is typically made early. Jumping can also be a little lazy if she switches off.

Race 6 2M 4F Hurdle 5UP – Captain Scott

The most consistent of my 2.4m hurdlers, though I have a fair few to choose from now, having struck upon a very decent gamebred at auction who trialed well himself and has consistently passed on the trait. Fast and fluid jumper who tend to run in the leading group, challenges a little later than I would like but is usually there or there abouts.

Race 8 2M 4F Chase 5UP – Skip to the Good Stuff

Like the 2m chasers I am not convinced I have anything that really stands out, the line has certainly progressed though from the last set of trails. This mare is just about the pick of the bunch and consistently features in the top three. Will either make the pace or sit just behind a full on front runner. Jumping can sometimes let her down, but is fast when she gets it right.

Race 10 3M 2F Chase 7UP – Saving Private Ryan

Bred with the Ryanair chase in mind, but proved to be a better stayer at 3m to 3.4m where he stands out by some margin in my trails. Not trialed the 9yo version entered here, just testing a theory that my distance chasers peak around 9/10. Good run style for the league, usually slots into the following group and makes his challenge very early from about 4-6f out. I am hopeful be nice to have a 3m line that is up to snuff with the Gold Cup in mind.

Josh

Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:57 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Trainers Notes - Trial Day 4
I will stick to the flat horses have no idea about jumps trialers

Race 1 6F Flat 2yo - MEGLIA DORO
Hail Ceaser x Sanntini - Colt
A Grandson of the mighty Snatch this colt is fast and likes
it up on the button Meglia smashed all my track records for
2YO sprinters so hopes are high I have worked hard on my
sprinters and it took a while to find special breeding lines.

Race 3 6F Flat 3UP - USAIN BOLT
Snatch x Park Royal - Colt
Snatch was an absolute beast of a sprinter for me and it
took an age for him to produce something decent which he finally
did with Usain who is a very very quick front runner. He is
better over 5 but stays 6 furlongs well and by the time he
weakens he could be away and gone high hopes for the sprint
division. Usain dominated my trials and is my track recoed holder
over 5 and 6 furlongs

Race 5 1M Flat 2yo - MORTIFIED
Freindly Fire x Mindless Mentality - Filly
Brand new 2YO bred for these trials better than my last
2 2YO milers who trialed ok She is very consistent. all depends
on how the track is laid out if this is a straight mile it would
really suit her

Race 7 1M Flat 3UP - WOODCUTTIN GWEN
Barnet Mobster x Woodcutting Wendy - Filly
This one has been in my team for sometime I cant
seem to improve my milers and the ones i sent to
previous trials did not fair too well but Gwen is very
consistent so hopeful of a good run.

Race 9 1M 4F Flat - IVAN DRAGO
Japan x Lauretta - Colt
Ivan's Dam was second in the 3rd set of trails and his
sire is by Court Of Appeal a trial winner in 3rd set of trials.
This seems to be my strongest distances going by previous trails
and Ivan is a bit freakish so hopes are very high

Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Day 4 Trial Races Opening Day At Percy Park Warner
Race 1 6F Flat 2yo - MEGLIA DORO 4th
Race 3 6F Flat 3UP - USAIN BOLT 2nd
Race 5 1M Flat 2yo - MORTIFIED 3rd
Race 7 1M Flat 3UP - WOODCUTTIN GWEN 3rd
Race 9 1M 4F Flat - IVAN DRAGO 7th
5 Starts 0 Wins 3 Places

Some very promising runs happy with the team only
real disappointment was Ivan Drago's run the rest
showed great potential and should be competitive in the
league.

Race 2 2M Hurdle 4yo - THUNDEROUS MOOD 5th
Race 4 2M Chase 7UP - ARGENTINIAN 3rd
Race 6 2M 4F Hurdle 5UP - SEAL TEAM 6th
Race 8 2M 4F Chase - NEED A MIRACLE 13th
Race 10 3M 2F Chase - NO MORE PRISONERS 5th
5 starts 0 wins 1 place

Vast improvement for me was chuffed to even get
a place only one of my horses bombed really so have
to be happy with that. Should have a competitive mid
tier NH team

Huge thanks to everyone involved in putting all
this together and the comms were as always
fantastic.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:42 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Happy with my horses runs. 4 winners, 2 places. My NH team looks good. Unendliche Geschichte won again, I bred her in around season 15, so shows you don't have to play long to get good horses. Jar of Flies is a son of GI Joe, who has proved to be a great NH sire. My flat horses ran really well, surprised as they mostly hold up horses.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:03 am
Group 2 winner

I've purposely bred front rank runners, however every horse again was held up an never got into any race. I think I've came to the conclusion I have to completely change both my trials, and I have to add instructions now when exporting. Massively disappointed with where I am tbh.

I've already had to do a full an complete trials in a different style to get different stallions for the barn.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:08 am
Group 1 winner

I don"t export with riding instructions anymore. My horses seem to run better without. The horses that do best in the league seems to be the ones that challenge early no matter what there running style. Jar of Flies was last half way but he was leading with 7f to go. I have been trying to breed early challengers but only really have them in my Nh lines

Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:03 pm
Group 3 winner

I would never give instructions, it limits how they run. I'd loved to get front runners over jumps and I try to bring them along in my game even if they are not good enough. I've noticed in the last two SO that running styles change the more league seasons we play. First off the hold up are best but the more league seasons we play the closer to the front u want to be.

Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:08 pm
Group 1 winner

Interesting trail for me and overall I am happy enough with the outcomes, some horses did not run as expected though.

My flat team for the most part will need the handicapper, I will likely only put a little more time into them before the league stars. Belladonna my only real stable star ran and excellent 2nd as the highlight. Few other runs with promise.

My NH team fared better with a win from words that hurt and a strong 2nd from Captain Scott. Solid run from my 3m prospect who ran at least 2f further than required and we did not see the best of Skip to the good stuff, who also got caught wide on this rather odd track. Hopes this one does not make the schedule........

The biggest learning was how bad my 4yo hurdler was, think I am paying the price for not playing a combined game and having no access to flat potential at a younger age. There is no obvious solution for this right now given I dominate the 4yo division in game year after year after year. Work to be done on the NH. Maybe even a new combined game.

I never export with instructions either, I have found if you get it wrong you have an overall negative impact on trial performance and I see no difference if you get it right,

Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:25 pm
Group 3 winner

leonvr wrote:
I don"t export with riding instructions anymore. My horses seem to run better without. The horses that do best in the league seems to be the ones that challenge early no matter what there running style. Jar of Flies was last half way but he was leading with 7f to go. I have been trying to breed early challengers but only really have them in my Nh lines

So do you set the challenge earlier flag when exporting without further riding instructions?

Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:10 am
Group 1 winner

dragontrainer wrote:
leonvr wrote:

So do you set the challenge earlier flag when exporting without further riding instructions?

No some horses just naturally run that way. If you watch races in game you will see which ones do it. It's mainly in NH that my horses do this, anything in my GI Joe and Svengali lines, which includes most of my NH winners. I do have a few 5f sprinters that do this now, hoping to move the trait up in distance for the flat

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:07 am
Group 1 winner

This is why you have to constantly go to gamebred stallions this thing is a CK
Beast and trounced Court Of Appeal who won on trials day 3 comfortably beat
my previous best Ivan Drago who bombed the other day in ay 4 trials but just
shows what a change in blood can do, In game he won the American Triple crown too

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:45 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:53 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I usually go for the gamebred sires that perform best in the game
this is the gamebred in question

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I found that breeding with the sires of the good game breds gives me more consistent results. It also shows you can get good horses for the league early on. I'm on season 35 now and will only be able to get another 6 seasons in before the league starts

Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:50 am
Group 1 winner

Absolutely agree, anyone who is only breeding with their own horses is probably is a cycle of degradation. Belladona, my only real flat success came from a gamebred sire. I tend to stay around 60/40. And there are a lot of gamebred horses who produce utter tosh. My biggest problem now, least on the flat game is every good horse in some way or another is connected to my lines, I have flogged so much that failed in trial they are breeding on elsewhere. I have now started just retiring from the game to force the creation of new game horses. This is less of a problem with my NH game due to the way I time warp my breeding, my cast offs have no real race pedigree so don’t get picked up much.

Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next