View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Meydan Carnival Highlights. 
Group 2 winner

Post Meydan Carnival Highlights.
Meydan Highlights

With the switch to dirt this years carnival was always going to be a transitional year finding out how the track rides and it also gave the small local trainers a chance to come out the dark and make a real statement trying to compete with the powerhouses De Kock and Godolphin. There was alot being said pre carnival with the dirt seemingly not up to the high standards expected with it being quite deep and lots of kickback. It's also very tough to win when held up which seems a bit biased.

Tamarkuz

Probably the one horse that has really relished the switch to dirt. The ex godolphin inmate was unbeaten on the all weather in England for Saeed Bin Suroor but was obviously sold due to the lack of opportunites on the all weather before the switch to dirt in meydan. Seemingly have a little problem with being slowly away from the stalls he blew his chance in 7f handicap on his seasonal reapearance although he proved he had so much ability managing to finish 2nd behind a very talented horse in Falkner. With lots of stall work done he broke on term next time when stepped up to the mile and hacked up in a canter winning by 4 1/2 lengths. Once again he broke on terms the next twice and again hacked up winning two group 3 showing he is a really talented dirt horse making all in both. Coming into World Cup night he started a short 1/1's money favourite for the group 2 Dubai Mile but despite blowing the start he managed to run an incredible race just holding on from the fast finishing Sloano Avenue. Showing he is a top class dirt horse a trip to America may well be on the cards late summer time although he is due a break after a preety tough campagne.

Local Time

Another who has took really well to the dirt, the Saeed Bin Suroor trained 3yo filly was three from four in her two year season in England. Although like alot of godolphin horses she has improved over the winter and won 1000 Guineas trail just getting up in the final strides running over a trip that was probably abit short but her class got her the win. Coming into the 1000 Guineas itself she started a 13/8 favourite and look very easy against similar rivals to her trial win. Being very impressive in the 1000 Guineas only 4 rivals took her on in the UAE Oaks and once again she hacked up starting 1/4 favourite. At one point she was being readied for the UAE Derby but they obviously decieded against it but this shows they hold her in some regard. Although her form probably does account to much. You'd imagine the Kentucky Oaks could be an option.

Old Boys

These two just prove age doesnt always mean your finished. Coming from poor carnivals the year before Reynaldothewizard and Hunter's Light both proved there still up to winning group races. Hunter's Light started the carnival in a handicap and bolted up proving he's way better than a handicapper, travelling wide the whole way. He then won the a Listed a couple of weeks later again travelling well. Although he's won so easy he went into the Grade 1 Jebel Hatta a 5/1 chance and although the favourite dissapointed he hacked by to win by 6lengths eased down. Having this first start on dirt at the age of 9 Reynaldothewizard trainer wouldnt have complained if he threw the towel in and didnt like it but again he proved his class in winning a Listed very easy. He came back a month later to win the 6f Group 3 just winning by a neck showing great courage but again we havent seen him again and you'd imagine he'd be retired.

Vercingetorix

A multiple group winner he contested some amazing races but after hacking in the Al Rashidya beating a decent horse in True Story. Following that he seemingly dissapointed in the Jebel Hatta finishing a well beaten 6th but it later transpired he got a injury that had to end his career. Just a dissapointing end to his career who hasnt an easy horse to train.
Retired.

Faulkner

A very lightly raced 5yo previously with Godolphin. He's only racing 3 times but is unbeaten for Doug Watson. Obviously a horse thats had loads of problems but starting his racing career at 5yo proves he's worth the wait as he's already shown loads of ability on dirt. Winning on debut at Jebel Ali he proved he was way to good winning a 6f maiden by 6l. He then proved his liking for the Meydan dirt when winning a non carnival even easy but coming from well off the pace proving he faces the kickback which not many horses have done on the meydan dirt. With a rating of 97 already he contested a 7f handicap at the carnival again coming from off the pace and dealing with trouble in running. In doing this he managed to beat Tamarkuz who won multiply group races. Unfortuntly he wasnt seen after and must have had another problem but he remains a horse with unbelievable potential to improve.

Just a couple of my highlights, would love to hear yours.

Thank Peter...

Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:20 pm
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Meydan Carnival Highlights.
Nice write up & good read

Tamarkuz was never a Godolphin horse, he has always been Sheikh Hamdan's he was just trained by Godolphin
All the horses Godolphin train with Arab names are owned by Sheikh Hamdan & the reason why he gave them the horses to train was so Godolphin could try & get to the top, it all goes back years ago when Coolmore vs Godolphin.
Gaints Causeway vs Fantastic Light

Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:49 am
Handicapper

My highlight of the dubai carnival was.... nothing. It's all fixed, cant pick winners via form & godolphin run the place.

Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:52 pm
Group 2 winner

If Godolphin rule the place surely its easier to pick winners. Ive found plenty of winners. Also hows it fixed?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:13 pm
Handicapper

PeterS94 wrote:
If Godolphin rule the place surely its easier to pick winners. Ive found plenty of winners. Also hows it fixed?

Are you mad? people say the dubail world cup is the best in the world!

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:22 pm
Group 2 winner

Whats that got to be with my questions?

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:40 pm
Group 2 winner

nashwan wrote:
Nice write up & good read

Tamarkuz was never a Godolphin horse, he has always been Sheikh Hamdan's he was just trained by Godolphin
All the horses Godolphin train with Arab names are owned by Sheikh Hamdan & the reason why he gave them the horses to train was so Godolphin could try & get to the top, it all goes back years ago when Coolmore vs Godolphin.
Gaints Causeway vs Fantastic Light

I just used the Racing Post website, said he was owned by godolphin till 28th Jan 2014

Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:42 pm
Group 2 winner

Yes Peter its says there owned by Godolphin but they are really owned by Hamdan
Its the same as Maftool at the carnival, ran in Godolphin colours but is still owned by Hamdan & Godolphin train him & he wears Godolphin colours
Sheikh Hamdan has sent a Nayef colt called Jufn & a Teofilo colt called Ebtihaal & has 18 other 2yo's not named yet & have no trainers so maybe they will end up being trained by Godolphin or Simon Cristford, so will wear Godolphin colours.
I hate it coz them horses win Godolphin get the glory same as Prince Bishop that's not there horse just trained by Bin Suroor so it wears Godolphin colours.
Sakhee was the same owned by Sheikh Hamdan then went to be trained by Godolphin
now he is at Shadwell Stud if he was brought by Godolphin he would be at Darley Stud.
Sorry it goes on a bit but I'm trying to explain the best I can haha

Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:07 pm
Group 1 winner

robsonaa wrote:
My highlight of the dubai carnival was.... nothing. It's all fixed, cant pick winners via form & godolphin run the place.

Are you really saying Racing at that level is fixed thats the most ridiculous comment i have heard in along time
so how much did it cost them to pay off California Chrome and The Great Gatsby

And How Much did Owen and Paddy Power Cough up to make sure Sole Power And Black Panther won.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:11 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

He just loves starting arguments, he's the male Katie Hopkins.

Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:46 pm
Group 2 winner

I like the Dubai carnival however in terms of an international carnival it is a long way behind the breeders cup meeting, my favourite flat meet of the season.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:25 am
Selling plater

Pricey wrote:
I like the Dubai carnival however in terms of an international carnival it is a long way behind the breeders cup meeting, my favourite flat meet of the season.

Nevertheless, the dubai world cup is more a world cup than the breeders cup with mostly US-Horses in it.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:12 pm
Group 1 winner

eneaver wrote:
Pricey wrote:

Nevertheless, the dubai world cup is more a world cup than the breeders cup with mostly US-Horses in it.

For me the Arc is the ultimate test of a thoroughbred then the breeders cup which i love its an awesome weekend
and get more international every year i enjoy DWC night & the build up to it basically because there is nothing else on
The form very rarely works out and some of the winner of the big race itself dont really do it justice.

Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:58 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

The one thing that annoys for about the Arc is the draw, if your drawn out wide youve got no chance also about the dubai world cup, there'd be more horses in it if it was at the end of the season compared to the start

Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]