View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 9:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Frankel or So you think 

Frankel or So you think
frankel 63%  63%  [ 17 ]
So you think 37%  37%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 27

Frankel or So you think 
Group 1 winner

I was impressed by Workforce. Poet is a solid yardstick, race fit, easy fractions, got the run of the race and Workforce picked him up hands and heels before being pushed out with a 7lb penalty. I think he ran to his rating, and if he wasn't race fit this suggests an OR of potentially 130+ this season which puts him on a par with SYT for me.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:39 am
Group 1 winner

i am not anti workforce
i do have connection with ballydoyle and have family that work there
and i am a fan of the coolmore opperation and have been known to be a bit biased towards them in the past
But on this subject i am saying it as i see it
i think moore had to throw everything at workdorce yes he went a length
or so clear at the end but he was hard ridden for a good while.

and as for poet yes he gets credability for beating elusive pimpenel and
jan vermer the jockeys ride was tacticly right and those above horses
could not get to him i still think poet is a par horse.

Sat May 28, 2011 10:59 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Visually not overly impressive of course, but it was a useful run by Workforce. For a start the ground had changed to good to soft and Poet (loves the ground) went for it and forced the pace under Adam Kirby. Take Workforce out and hes won by 11 lengths. For what hes done in the race and having to work hard under the penalty its a satisfactory reappearance. As already stated it was harder race than SYT's seasonal reappearance.

Anyway, I still think Workforce will be geared up over 12f for the Arc and SYT over 10f unless they decide to step him up maybe even another crack at Melbourne Cup?

Sat May 28, 2011 11:35 am
Handicapper

Workforce would of been a lot better off a faster pace Stoute said the horse would need a run. I cant believe people were saying before the race Workforce needs a 1m4f and will struggle to win over a 1m2f, yet when he wins beating all but a Poet easily (Poet in my opinion got a easy lead kicked away) from the field and only workforce caught him off a slow pace when hes suited by a 1m4f. Surely that makes him winning more impressive Ryan Moore didnt seem to think he got stuck into him to much. Im often biased towards Coolmore and A. O'briens yard but after seeing that id like to see SYT and WF over 1m4f, SYT will be easy suited by 1m4f after his run in the Melbourne Cup. So no excuses 1m4f winner takes all im sure if they do meet a strong pace would suit both horses in my opinion so Aidans more than likely to put a pacemaker in if not more than 1.

Sun May 29, 2011 3:53 pm
Group 1 winner

On hype, So You Think would beat Workforce, but on substance, it's a massacre in reverse. Workforce won a Derby, by a wide margin in record time, before landing an Arc. It may have been an average Arc, but it was an Arc all the same and many a good horse has failed in that quest!! What So You Think achieved in Australia, fair though it was, is worth jack in comparison, no matter what Bart Cummings may think.
What he has done over here since, is worth even less. Poet aside, Workforce beat two Group 1 winners, rated 115 a piece, by a dozen lengths, giving them 7lb, while only 90% fit. (Only a snippet of the form, but the more you dig, the more it stands up) That alone far eclipses the two efforts notched up by So You Think who has only faced two horses in opposition that are better than class 3 handicappers; One being Famous Name (who doesn't even stay nine furlongs in top company, let alone an extended ten) and the other, the German Group 1 winner :lol: Campanologist. On a line through the latter, So You Think doesn't have the beating of Dandino, let alone Workforce, so when factoring in the underwhelming figures posted from his two recent runs, I'd have to be far more fearful of Await The Dawn, for now anyway. That said, the Prince Of Wales will be a truer guide and So You Think may well step up a level when faced with an actual test, but make no mistake he will need to!!
I'm not saying Workforce is akin to a Sea The Stars status, far from it, though he is a much more complete racehorse physically at four. A defeat or two may well be inflicted on him this year, as was last, but So You Think has a massive amount to prove yet, before I'd consider him a likely inflicter.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:10 pm
Group 1 winner

On hype, So You Think would beat Workforce, but on substance, it's a massacre in reverse. Workforce won a Derby, by a wide margin in record time, before landing an Arc. It may have been an average Arc, but it was an Arc all the same and many a good horse has failed in that quest!! What So You Think achieved in Australia, fair though it was, is worth jack in comparison, no matter what Bart Cummings may think.
What he has done over here since, is worth even less. Poet aside, Workforce beat two Group 1 winners, rated 115 a piece, by a dozen lengths, giving them 7lb, while only 90% fit. (Only a snippet of the form, but the more you dig, the more it stands up) That alone far eclipses the two efforts notched up by So You Think who has only faced two horses in opposition that are better than class 3 handicappers; One being Famous Name (who doesn't even stay nine furlongs in top company, let alone an extended ten) and the other, the German Group 1 winner :lol: Campanologist. On a line through the latter, So You Think doesn't have the beating of Dandino, let alone Workforce, so when factoring in the underwhelming figures posted from his two recent runs, I'd have to be far more fearful of Await The Dawn, for now anyway. That said, the Prince Of Wales will be a truer guide and So You Think may well step up a level when faced with an actual test, but make no mistake he will need to!!
I'm not saying Workforce is akin to a Sea The Stars status, far from it, though he is a much more complete racehorse physically at four. A defeat or two may well be inflicted on him this year, as was last, but So You Think has a massive amount to prove yet, before I'd consider him a likely inflicter.

we will see dancing brave mate all i can say for now is i disagree with you
but time will tell which one of us is right i think so you think will end the
season as the years most exceptional horse only an opinion mate good
to see your points of view and respect them even though i disagree with some of them

Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:07 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Planteur and Twice Over (maybe even Byword and Wigmore Hall) will set a decent enough challenge in the Prince Of Wales so it will be an insightful contest, but I think Horse Of The Year would require a monumental effort that included the PoW, KG, International, and Arc, if not more. I say that because Black Caviar and Frankel, for now anyway, both have undefeated records alongside an abundance of class and quality. If either can maintain that status throughout the season, particularly the latter, against the proven top class mile duo of Goldikova and Canford Cliffs, it is surely thank you and goodnight.
Tall orders all round, and as such, my money would probably be on the Aussie mare to collect the honours, but one thing is for sure, this season has some mouthwatering clashes upcoming, starting with the Queen Anne.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:00 pm
Group 1 winner

Is anyone else off to Royal Ascot? I go on the Tuesday and it's looking to be a corker. Look out for me if you are there, I'll be the maverick in the top hat and tails with my new highlighted long hair steaming into Goldikova and Frankel.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:13 pm
Group 1 winner

We shall indeed!! :wink:
Planteur and Twice Over (maybe even Byword and Wigmore Hall) will set a decent enough challenge in the Prince Of Wales so it will be an insightful contest, but I think Horse Of The Year would require a monumental effort that included the PoW, KG, International, and Arc, if not more. I say that because Black Caviar and Frankel, for now anyway, both have undefeated records alongside an abundance of class and quality. If either can maintain that status throughout the season, particularly the latter, against the proven top class mile duo of Goldikova and Canford Cliffs, it is surely thank you and goodnight.
Tall orders all round, and as such, my money would probably be on the Aussie mare to collect the honours, but one thing is for sure, this season has some mouthwatering clashes upcoming, starting with the Queen Anne.

so you think
POW,KG,international,Arc,Melbourne cup or breeders cup turf or both

Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:50 pm
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Clearly you are a very knowledgeable poster and i respect your thoughts greatly but i must say that i have to disagree on this occasion.

Whilst the bare form of So You Think's victories may not be up to much it is the manner in which he has achieved them which have really set him apart in my eyes. He has treated decent horses with absolute contempt and i would be very confident that he can prove himself the top 1m2 and 1m4 horse this season. Whether he can win Horse Of The Year is a different matter because Frankel et al will provide a stern test.

I think So You Think looks exceptional whilst i have always harboured doubts about Workforce. He is without doubt a very good horse (Derby and Arc etc) but i can't help think that he is a little short of exceptional and a truly believe that So You Think is right out of the very top drawer.

Whatever your opinions on the matter, their clash is one to look forward to with great eagerness. It should be a terrific encounter.

Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:59 pm
Group 1 winner

Interesting opinions Dancing Brave.

Clearly you are a very knowledgeable poster and i respect your thoughts greatly but i must say that i have to disagree on this occasion.

Whilst the bare form of So You Think's victories may not be up to much it is the manner in which he has achieved them which have really set him apart in my eyes. He has treated decent horses with absolute contempt and i would be very confident that he can prove himself the top 1m2 and 1m4 horse this season. Whether he can win Horse Of The Year is a different matter because Frankel et al will provide a stern test.

I think So You Think looks exceptional whilst i have always harboured doubts about Workforce. He is without doubt a very good horse (Derby and Arc etc) but i can't help think that he is a little short of exceptional and a truly believe that So You Think is right out of the very top drawer.

Whatever your opinions on the matter, their clash is one to look forward to with great eagerness. It should be a terrific encounter.

a man after my own heart agree with everything above spot on :wink:

Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

I agree with March Farm, I still am against workforce unless he is consistent at the top level..... We shall see soon enough!!

Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:18 pm
Handicapper

I agree with March Farm, I still am against workforce unless he is consistent at the top level..... We shall see soon enough!!

Top level? Like the Derby or the Arc? Still think he's a rogue?

We all have our favourites in Racing, and equally, horses that we often find ourselves keen to oppose. But sometimes you just need to reassess your own opinions (right or wrong).

To say he is a rogue off the back of one poor run in a Group 1 is still one of the most ridiculous comments I have read on this forum. If you want to oppose him when he runs thats fine. And if you don't think he is as good as other Classic/Arc winners thats fine too.

But a rogue?

No.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:02 am
Handicapper

i have watched the race a few times now
i am not anti workforce
i do have connection with ballydoyle and have family that work there
and i am a fan of the coolmore opperation and have been known to be a bit biased towards them in the past
But on this subject i am saying it as i see it
i think moore had to throw everything at workdorce yes he went a length
or so clear at the end but he was hard ridden for a good while.

and as for poet yes he gets credability for beating elusive pimpenel and
jan vermer the jockeys ride was tacticly right and those above horses
could not get to him i still think poet is a par horse.

I really like both horses and will certainly eagerly await a clash between the two. For me, I couldn't say which I would back in a race between the two. (the trip would certainly be crucial IMO).

But pjrhodes, you really need to take off those Ballydoyle tinted spectacles and watch a rerun of the Brigadier Gerard again?

Ryan Moore gave Workforce one tap with the whip and basically just kept him up to his work. If you think that was throwing everything at Workforce then I find that amazing!!

Lets hope they both clash this season though.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:08 am
Group 1 winner

What I meant was that I would like to see him win a group one this year then another without running a stinker before seriously considering him as "great", I was just as impressed as anyone to see him win but again, only so I could get a better price on laying it. Is the Brigadier Gerard form really that impressive?? He SHOULD have won that, even if at only 90% fit, let's get it right, yeah Jan Vermeer won a group 1, but against what?? Rosanara hasn't won since at the top level through that form line but has done well at top level, may have needed the run as well. Poet is a solid G3 Horse, Calvaryman isn't even G3 level really... Afsare and Elusive Pimpernel are only just G3 Horses and overrated if that and were disappointing. Again SYT faced lesser opposition in the Ireland but put them away in style even at 90% and they will probably not even meet anyway! But people are dismissing the Aussie form as rubbish?? I do not think so one bit. (was quite annoyed with DB's comments as much as I respect him, the "worth jack" aussie form?? To win the best 10f race in Australia the Mackinnon 7 days before running 3rd in possibly on substance greatest staying race on the planet over 2m? Like to see any of our top horses even get close to that!!!)

What winds me up (I am english!!) is how we whinge when aussie stars don't come over or race at Royal Ascot when we will only send horses over for the melbourne cup and it's preludes? Why don't we grow a pair and send at least a few group horses over year round as well instead of saying how rubbish aussie form is?

Did I say rogue again? All I'm saying is that I think Workforce is a good horse but lacks consistency to make me even consider backing it especially after the breeders cup debacle. I'm saying I want Workforce to come out and be consistent that is all, and personally I would like to see it... I know it looks like a vendetta and it probably is a bit but I would like to see him be consistent at group 1 level before I consider him as "great".

Last edited by nick_driver on Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next