View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 World Hurdle Anti Post.. 
Group 2 winner

Post World Hurdle Anti Post..
Cheltenham World Hurdle

Another wide open championship race at the cheltenham festival which has been previously dominated by the mighty Big Bucks winning it a record four times but he finally lost his crown to the hands of More of That ending up finishing a respectable fifth in last years race. More of that proved a worthy winner out staying the very talented mare Annie Power with At Fischers Cross coming in third. Trying to find the winner this year is going to be harder than any other year with several of the main protenders rarely raced during the year for different reasons.

At this early stage More Of That is favourite to retain his crown being a 7/2 favourite across most bookmakers but there's risks attached backing him at that price with him only running once this term due to an below par reapperance on really heavy ground. It later transpired he had breathing problems and had an operation to sort these out. Next we have the Paul Nicholls pair of Saphir Du Rhou and Zarkander who are both joined second favourite at generally 8/1. Further down the list we have champion hurdle winner Rock On Ruby attempting 3mile for the first time and a clutch of other intresting contenders. The irish also have a good crop with the likes of Lieutenant Colonel,Monksland and the dissapointing Briar Hill.

Runners

More Of That

Well More Of That the 2014 world hurdle winner and this years favourite goes into this years race with alot more questions to answers regarding a number of factors. Following a dissapointing start to the season More Of That has not being seen since the 29th November after a well beaten 3rd in the grade 2 long walk hurdle. Although it was obvious connections were worried about his breathing prior to the race with the applied tongue tie and he later had the much needed breathing operations. At this moment there arent many options for a prep race so he may have to go straight to the festival with might be a problem. So for that main reason i think 4/1 is a little short and think he's worth taking on.

Zarkander

Well he seems like he's been around for forever, it wasnt long ago he was contesting in a champion hurdle although 3miles looks like its his best trip and is a serious contender for the world hurdle. Trying the trip for the first time last year he finished a 7length beaten 4th ridden to get the trip. Following a run in France in june finishing third in a grade 1 hurdle he reappeared in England at Ascot in the Grade 1 Long Walk hurdle travelling really strongly for all the race to seemingly throw it away when hitting the front and stopping giving Reve De Sivola a second attempt and being grabbed close home. As he's getting older he's definitly starting to show quirkes and for this reason i cant back him to win the world hurdle.

Saphir Du Rheu

Well this was meant to be the big year for the Paul Nicholls gelding. Although the expectation was for him to be turning up for the JLT over fences but all hasn't when to plan novice chasing and he has been sent back over hurdles for the time being anyway. Falling on debut over fences many horses would take some time to get over it but he was turned out a week later and beat a good field to get under way over fences. Going into the Kauto Star novices chase he went off a hot 13/8 favourite but once again he fell and chashing was put on hold. He's since won the cleeve hurdle by a head receiving weight from most of the field. At 7/1 there maybe some value left but im not convinced 100% by him so im willing to take him on. Paul Nicholls has stated he think's he might be the second string and will return to fences next season.

Rock on Ruby

Harry Fry's veteran returns to his beloved cheltenham for the fifth consecutive year but not for champion hurdle as most would expect, this time for the world hurdle. Rock on Ruby will be trying 3miles for the first time and personally i dont think he will stay. The 10year old has been in super form this season winning a Grade 2 and a conditions event but beating really promising horses in doing so. However being a 10year old i just dont think he has the ability at his age to win a world hurdle against a younger bunch of promising hurdlers who will all have improvement left. With his prefered racing style to race forward so there's no chance they can hold him u to get the trip. Due to these factors i just dont think he can win a world hurdle.

Tip

Beat That

A horse that we have only seen once this season but down to nothing serious just a variety of different factors stated by Nicky Henderson. Early in the season he just wasn't coming to himself, not flying at home so Nicky Hendrson decided not rush him and let him come to himself. We did evenually see him running over a trip to short and he travelled well into the race before weakening looking like he just needed the run. He'll probably go straight to the festival due to limited options and unsuitable soft ground. He is coming with risks attached but he showed last year that he improves in the spring and good ground is a massive bonus. He proved his last year when winning two grade 1's over 3m at Aintree and Punchestown and i honestly do think he has the class to win a World Hurdle.

Advised 16/1 E.W...

Thanks Peter....

Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:29 pm
Group 2 winner

Post Re: World Hurdle Anti Post..
Race looks like its starting to open up abit with it looking like More of That isnt going to make it and At Fischers Cross shouldnt race again really.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:48 pm
Handicapper

I've backed Whisper in this race each way and got 20-1 a few weeks ago which I feel is a good bet.
Highly progressive last season and loves the course, chasing campaign put on hold and this is the new target.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:16 pm
Group 2 winner

Will be intresting to see how the market reacts with the three henderson horses. Beat That,Whisper and Blue Fashion. Whatever anti post money goes on, that'll probably be the gergathy horse.

I like Beat That!!

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:33 pm
Group 1 winner

I asked Willie is he tempted to put Annie Power in the world Hurdle it looks weak (wide open)
but he said with the prep she has had he has no temptation and she will go for the mares

Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

If im being honest, he's doing the correct thing. Go win the mares hurdle and then maybe contest the world hurdle the year after. Although the mares hurdle wont be a walk over this year, theres a few nice improving mares who are race fit.

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:33 pm
Group 1 winner

PeterS94 wrote:
If im being honest, he's doing the correct thing. Go win the mares hurdle and then maybe contest the world hurdle the year after. Although the mares hurdle wont be a walk over this year, theres a few nice improving mares who are race fit.

My Point to him was he has Glenns Melody who will be a big player in the Mares Hurdle and IMO would win it without Annie
but he explained that Annie preparation is all wrong for world he saw my point that this years race looks easier but No

Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Glen's melody has nothing to do with it. Different owners.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:05 pm
Group 2 winner

Just regarding the owners thing. Willie has a massive say to which races the horses run in at cheltenham even with different owners, bar Gigginstown who are a bunch of crooks

Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:17 pm
Group 1 winner

Still has nothing to do with it. You want to go for the champion or stayers without a prep? The horse will run in the race it has the best chance of winning. Maybe next year without injury and a good prep a Grade1.

I think you'll find owners have a bigger say than you're claiming. There is no way JP or Ricci would be told to go for a race they had less chance in.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:52 am
Handicapper

I agree with Mr Beaky.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:08 am
Handicapper

keithbeaky wrote:
Maybe next year without injury and a good prep a Grade1.

By the way Mr Beaky, the mares' hurdle is a grade 1..

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:10 am
Group 1 winner

Without the injury she'd have run in the Champion and gone close. If she's well enough in the mares it's how far.

I see it's a grade 1 from this year!!!

PS Great interview with Mullins re Cheltenham - he says "connections have chosen this race" several times. :wink:

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:23 am
Group 1 winner

Gave up trying to second guess Willie years ago its a fine art and there will be more twists and turns to come

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:36 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

keithbeaky wrote:
Without the injury she'd have run in the Champion and gone close. If she's well enough in the mares it's how far.

I see it's a grade 1 from this year!!!

PS Great interview with Mullins re Cheltenham - he says "connections have chosen this race" several times. :wink:

So why did you say he would rather go for a grade 1 next year with AP?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next