View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Channel 4 Racing & The Morning Line 
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Channel 4 Racing & The Morning Line
Down was good and is a good journo still. You could fit all of Thommo's knowledge onto a fag packet, he's just a loud gimmick. No way he could anchor a modern show. People might slag them off but they aren't as bad as ITV.

Balding is a condescending moron born into a dynasty but has learnt nothing.

Tanya understands nothing+is in the bookies pockets. That big oaf before had been skint 100 times and was just a parody.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:42 pm
Handicapper

I didn't know ITV does racing coverage?

Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:56 pm
Group 2 winner

Sorry but channel 4 coverage is awful. Now the morning line. Its a wasted show. There could be 8 races on the tele and they'll talk about 3 off them yet they'll patter on about pointless things that people already know. When they do talk about the race, they'll mention 2 or 3 horses. Why not just talk about the days racing compared to a load of tosh nobody wants to know about.

They talk about all these gambles yet its only the Pricewise horses which the bookies cut anyway regardless of what money is put on. If i had atr and racing uk i wouldnt even bother watching channel 4. The producers need to take the hint of why the ratings are down, its because its a load of crap..

Rant Over!! :D

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:01 pm
Handicapper

Thanks Peter.. How can they make it better? Which presenters should they bring in?

Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:09 pm
Group 2 winner

Personally dont think the presenters arent that bad, they just doing what their told. Its the producers who are the problem. Think a combination of Mick Fitz and John Francome would be good. Get rid of graham cunningham and Tanya. Wopples on about not much really. Nick and Rishi should be main presenters.

Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:32 pm
Group 2 winner

I've found C4's coverage over the last couple of years to be going downhill fast. I still occasionally watch the morning line on big racedays/festivals but usually give it a swerve, as PJ said their tips are rubbish.

Given the choice I will always watch the racing on either ATR or RUK as I just prefer the coverage and presenters.

For the Grand national I really hope Chapman get's it, he loves the sport and is very energetic. He also ask's the questions other presenters shy away from.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:02 am
Group 1 winner

I hate it, hate it, hate it. I never watch racing anymore, if there's a race I want to see I'll watch it on the internet later.

Fortunately she's mostly gone, but I despise Balding. She doesn't know a thing about horses, if she does (which she should) she hides it very well. I hate her fluffy horsey attitude and she's incredibly patronising and has a very superior air.

Cunningham is useless, he might be able to back horses but again he couldn't read a race if his life depended on it. He doesn't seem to have a clue about riding or horses or horsemanship and tends to only praise jockeys who have thrashed horses. I've had a couple of heated 'debates' with him about racing and his opinion has always been incorrect, he wouldn't listen to mine but miraculously changed his the next week to agree with the 'experts' in the RP. (don't even get me started on the RP)

I like Gina Bryce, though I think she's a weak presenter at the moment. She's very knowledgeable and I have enjoyed a couple of good conversations with her.

I have never liked Rishi, though he's got better over the years. He still come across as a bit of a bumbling idiot.

Spencer and Fitzgerald serve a purpose i.e. they know a lot of the jocks personally so they can talk to them in a way other presenters can't. So I guess I can't complain about them too much.

McGrath I like, his knowledge has always been good, but him and Francome worked so well. He's too reserved on his own.

I really miss Francome for his sense of humour and his knowledge of horses, racing and riding and Alistair Down for his amazing writing and descriptive abilities.

Luck is the new bumbling idiot, though he has improved.

The impression I get from talking to some of the team is that there's a lot of emphasis on 'widening participation' and they feel they are rather neglecting the 'old timers'. More seasoned viewers stopping viewing the show probably accounts for the drop in figures.

I personally find it way too dumbed down with too few people expertly and coherently able to read races and explain why one horse may have run badly. Maybe I'm biased, I've grown up watching horses (real horses, not on TV) so find it easy to spot when something isn't moving right or why it may have stopped etc.

I also find it too 'fluffy horsey' with features often starting with Balding stroking a horse or feeding it in a stable. Racing is NOT like that, it is hard, tough, exhausting and at some times cruel. These horses are athletes and there to do a job and should be portrayed as such. I feel trying to persuade people who maybe are on the fence about it that these are lovely cuddly ponies is false and that racing would have a much better 'rep' if people could be honest about what it really is. But I guess in modern times people can't cope with the hard truths can they?! (Mind you, that's another issue entirely)

I'm sure there's more, but that's my rant for now!! :roll: :lol:

Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:06 am
Group 1 winner

Oh wow I forgot people didn't I?!

Tanya! Forgetting about her probably says all anyone needs to know about her on the programme. She's awful, I know next to nothing about betting but when she's saying the odds of X horse are 2-1 but you can see the boards behind her all say 4-1 you know she can't be any good!! I feel as though she maybe knows lots of factoids about racing (maybe she ought to join Steve Wright on his show!) her actual working knowledge is poor. Some of the historical facts about racing are interesting, though I feel Cunningham steps on her toes a little with this.

I hated McCririck. I'm far from a feminist but I always felt calling Tanya 'Female' was degrading, insulting and unprofessional on television irrespective of whether she minded or not. As the trend has not continued with the other presenters I imagine she did object, but McCririck was so unpleasant he didn't care.

They rarely show horses in the paddock and instead cut to a Paddy Power advert. Sometimes they show them going to start, but I'd rather see them in the paddock. Or worse they cut away from the paddock or the jockeys mounting to show the fashion or the crowds at the course; who cares about that?! There are many occasions I can think of where jocks have been unseated in the paddock or horses played up that C4 seem to have totally missed.

Again I'm sure there's more but I won't go on... :roll: :D

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:03 am
Group 1 winner

robsonaa wrote:
I didn't know ITV does racing coverage?

They dont but they are the worst at covering any sport.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:27 am
Group 1 winner

I agree with most of what Cat says.

I will also add that it is ridiculous the amount of times they have no idea about the ground. Every NH meeting they say "the ones at the front will do well to be there at the end in this ground" When 90% of the time the horses out the back are at a huge disadvantage to make up any ground when it is soft or heavy at most courses. It was every race a few backs at Sandown. The horses out the back had no chance. Then after the race they are all stunned that the winner was "always up there" in "that ground"

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:39 am
Group 1 winner

keithbeaky wrote:
I agree with most of what Cat says.

I will also add that it is ridiculous the amount of times they have no idea about the ground. Every NH meeting they say "the ones at the front will do well to be there at the end in this ground" When 90% of the time the horses out the back are at a huge disadvantage to make up any ground when it is soft or heavy at most courses. It was every race a few backs at Sandown. The horses out the back had no chance. Then after the race they are all stunned that the winner was "always up there" in "that ground"

I agree with that! I did see some of that programme and was surprised when they said nothing will win from the front. It's slightly different on the chase course, but particularly over hurdles and on the flat at Sandown it's an advantage to be at the front anyway. It's like they've never been racing sometimes.

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:48 am
Group 1 winner

I just think its very difficult to make up 15-20 lengths in soft ground when jumping a hurdle or a fence at any track. Ok it does happen but they dont seem to realise that horses cant quicken that much when the ground is so soft/ heavy or deep. Its not even hard to work out why and when it happens four races in a row you should be realising by the third race, at the absolute latest, that those in front probably have an advantage and its hard to make up so many lengths. But no come the third or fourth race its still the same old rubbish. Last Saturday in the Betfair Hurldle Cunnigham was adamant that those in behind would finish well etc. Hmmm what happened there? Newbury is mission impossible to front run on the flat, but over jumps its normally the opposite!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:55 am
Handicapper

I agree with that! Who would you get rid of and bring in to make C4 better?

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:28 pm
Group 1 winner

I think Luck is a good presenter. I didn't like him for awhile but he's very intelligent and has got better and better. He does ask the right questions to those running racing, but not necessarily everyone ie bookmakers mainly! There should be more about bookmakers not laying bets and shutting accounts left, right and centre. When the clown Tanya says ive got a quote from Boyles or Stan James it might as well be with Boots as its only a cosmetic price!

Francome was miles better than Fitzgerald. He is a bad judge of a horse, loves to tip a fav and then after the race says he has always liked the winner. He himself is often guilty of not judging pace well and banging on about horses from behind being suited in the soft. The only thing he does do well is give a jockeys perspective, but he's till often wrong, states the obvious or does not educate the viewer. IMO this is what ITV do badly re the football. Whereas on SKY I feel you learn something from every game Neville commentates on.

McGrath is a must but as pointed out doesn't get as much airtime as he used to, though he is a better judge on the flat.

Tanya has to go. She knows nothing about betting and again as pointed out highlights every pricewise horse as a mover. Thats the reason they are movers! Then says the horses which Fred boosts are weak. When its just everyone taking their £50 out of it on Betfair because they've arbed it. Later on most of them come crashing back down. She also has accounts with all the firms whereas most decent punters dont have any. So she isn't going to slag the bookmakers off when really she should be. Or at least asking questions about account restrictions and closures.

Down was good and should come back. He knows horses and trainers, what more do you want?

Cunnigham can go. He's all over the place at times.

Gina goodbye. Spencer more. The other silly woman who dresses like its Halloween every week can go as well.

Dont know who to replace them. I doubt they can afford the people they should be getting. And any top professional gambler isn't going to want to waste his time and identify himself on national TV!

So no real suggestions from me. Well maybe Hugh Taylor?

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:56 pm
Handicapper

Possibly, I like Sam Turner, Jamie Lynch and Date Yates is ok. Hate Geoff Banks!!!!

Fri Feb 13, 2015 2:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next