View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Kitten Rock 
Handicapper

Post Kitten Rock
Hi all.

I was just interested in everyone else's thoughts on Kitten Rock as a contender for the Champion Hurdle, because I feel that he has slipped under the radar in a big way.
I mentioned it in the main Cheltenham 2015 topic that I thought this horse had a big chance of a place at least as he has been winning his races in impressive fashion. Edward O'Grady has planned a route to Cheltenham all season and he won very well today at Gowran.
In all four of his wins this season, he hasn't beaten many horses, but the manner of his wins have taken my eye the most. Held up off the pace and then cruising through to win without being hard pressed. He has beaten some decent horses along the line this year, although the Champion Hurdle is a different ocean compared.

He looks like the sort of horse who would be suited by a quickly run 2 mile race, which is what he'll get at Cheltenham, and has won over 2 miles 3 furlongs already. He has a lot of progress in him, but he'll need to improve a lot more to compete against Faugheen, The New One, Hurricane Fly and Jezki, but I feel that he could be the young pretender.

I've backed him at 40-1 and his price is floating around the 25-1 mark right now, he is a very good each way bet in an open picture for the minor placings.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:27 pm
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Kitten Rock
Think this is a good topic because ive seen a few people taking about Kitten Rock..

Ill just put it straight NO i dont think he can win a champion hurdle. I dont even think he'll finish in the first 4.

Looking through his form now, the best horse he's beat is Glen Melody who is a decent mare but she needs 2 and a half miles, He's clearly been impressive in his wins but after his interview today he's not even certain to go to the champion hurdle as he think the ground maybe to quick.

I just cant see past Faugheen,Jezki and The New One.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:53 pm
Handicapper

I missed the race live, but I just watched the replay. Abyssial isn't a bad horse, but came down two hurdles out when it was too early to call the result.

Kitten Rock has a big engine, he was running keenly throughout, but jumped well in the main. I know the form of his wins doesn't stack up to much, but you can argue that about some of the leading fancies. KR is one of the less exposed horses in the potential line up and has time on his side.

Anyway, he'll be a cracking chaser in the future.

Sat Feb 14, 2015 10:13 pm
Group 1 winner

NRNB the champion hurdle is good ew. Not even certain there will be 8 runners. Jezki 6/1 ew NRNB with Paddy is massive three places. I'd possibly back one of the rags on those terms too, on the basis it might only be 6 or 7 runners.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:28 am
Group 1 winner

I doubt Kitten Rock will go to the champion Hurdle prob run on Irish Grand National day i doubt the horse has the ability to make the picture in
a champion hurdle but best of luck to you.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:49 am
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
I doubt Kitten Rock will go to the champion Hurdle prob run on Irish Grand National day i doubt the horse has the ability to make the picture in

The trainer was on ATR after the race and by the sound of it he wants one try at the big dogs before he goes chasing next year. It looks like it's going to be a small field for the champion so why not, I think his action might just like better ground and his dad liked good ground.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:07 am
Group 1 winner

ghostzapper74 wrote:
pjrhodes1970 wrote:

The trainer was on ATR after the race and by the sound of it he wants one try at the big dogs before he goes chasing next year. It looks like it's going to be a small field for the champion so why not, I think his action might just like better ground and his dad liked good ground.

Quite possibly but Inevitability it will be down to what JP wants

Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:42 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

O'Grady also quoted post-race yesterday that Kitten Rock did a piece of work on good ground at home and he was very pleased with it. All of his form has been on slower ground, but that quote coupled with the fact the ground is normally softer on the first day gives me cause for optimism. JP McManus isn't afraid about having two horses in the Champion Hurdle as last year showed.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]