View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Anti Post - Ryanair 
Group 2 winner

Post Anti Post - Ryanair
Cheltenham Ryanair Chase

A relativity newly found race, the Ryanair Chase was only founded in 2005 replacing the old Cathcart challenge cup. Held on the thursday of the festival, the Ryanair Chase is run over 2m 5f and requires to jump 17 fences. Always a strong contest with horses stepping up from 2mile or coming back from 3miles, this years reneval is no different. With last years winner Dynaste missing due to an injury we still a strong field with Don Cossack heading the market being 4/1 favourite, recent winners Balder Succes and Champagne Fever next in the markey being general 6/1 shots and previous winner Cue Card being a 7/1 chance. A race totally dominated by the English since its start, the irish come into the race with their strongest attack with the likes of Don Cossack,Champagne Fever and possibly Hidden Cyclone.

Runners

Don Cossack

Our 4/1 favourite, unbeaten this season winning four out of four races including one grade 3, two grade 2's and a grade 1. Winning over trips from 2m 4f - 2m 7f and on a variety of different grounds. Gradually taking on better opposition throughout the season he's definity improved. Although there are several factors that are making me think twice about form. The grade 3 he won earlier in the season was a poor one. The then beat a half fit Wonderful Charm who is a decent yard stick of a horse but not a potential grade 1 winner. He then won the Grade 1 John Durkan chase beating a good field although several were running over an inadequate trip and needed the run. He then beat Champagne Fever in what turned out to be a match, although Champagne Fever was still in with a chance two out until falling. Another thing i dislike is he fell at cheltenham last year and hasnt ran there since. So all in all i feel his form isnt as strong as others.

Cue Card

Cue Card is 7/1 with PaddyPower to pick up the Ryanair Chase title, although he’s as short as 5/1 in places. Since being a classy winner of this in 2013, he's had his problems with several injuries which has then in turn lead to him being a little inconsitent. Since winning the Ryanair Chase he's only won 1 of of 7 races which was a grade 1 over 3miles. Even though he's won over 3miles I just dont see him being a 3mile chaser, so the decision to come back into the Ryanair is a massive plus. Although his form this year just hasnt been good enough and if into the thinking he's just on the decline and wont be good enough to win a Grade 1. Starting off in the Haldon Gold Cup (limited handicap) over a trip to short he ran a okay race when needing it. Coming into the Betfair Chase he was fancied to do much better than his reapperance although he lacked fluency in his jumping and was soundly beaten 12l. At the time connections were dissapointed. Given possible excuses on the ground for his Betfair run, he then dissapointed again in the King George finishing 5th beaten 12lengths, again lacking in his jumping. So all in all he has alot of questions to answer and just doesnt look the same horse and im willing to leave him along until he shows more.

Champagne Fever

Champagne Fever was the odds-on favourite when taking home the Clonmel Oil Chase in his opening ride of the season. The Willie Mullins runner then followed up by running in the King George at Kempton and ended up finishing 4th beaten 10lengths just failing to stay 3miles. He then made a quick reappearance when falling 2 out when contesting the lead with Don Cossack in the grade 2 Kinlock Brae chase at Thurles, although Ruby Walsh said he thought he'd have lost anyway. Following a 3 week break we hosed up in the Red Milles Chase beating an average field. If he runs in this race he has as good a chance as any but it looks like connections are swaying towards the champion chase but whatever race he runs in he has a good chance with his cheltenham record so good.

Tip 1

Balder Succes

Starting the season many thought including myself he'd be running in the champion chase but as the season has went on he just looks like he's much better suited to the extra half mile. Following a progressive season he goes into the Ryanair as second favourite being a 6/1 chance. Following three dissapointing runs in the Haldon Gold Cup,Tingle Creek and Desert Orchid Chase Alan King decieded to step him up in distance and its been the making off him. His jumping has improved for them going a little slower and seems to now go on good ground. Following his three dissapointing runs he won a Listed Chase easy beating two decent yardsticks who were rated 155 and 150. It was then thought he needed another run before cheltenham and won the Ascot Chase really nicely, jumping well and drawing clear to win by 3 and a half lengths. Following that good effort he moved into 2nd favourite and i really fancy him to go on and win the Ryanair chase. The one worry i have is the small field theory fear, although it might cut up to an 8-10runner field.

Advised - 6/1 Win...

Tip 2

Ma Filleule

Trained by Nicky Henderson, Ma Filleule is a really talented mare and after running a pleasing 2nd in her prep run in the Ascot chase she has been well backed and is now an 8/1 chance although can be backed at 10s in places. After starting last season over hurdles, she was set an impossible task on her english chase debut running in a Grade 3 handicap chase at cheltenham eventually getting pulled up. She progressed massively to then win a handicap at Kempton over 3m just winning by a short head. She then went back to cheltenham for the Grade 3 handicap chase finishing a brilliant 2nd only denied by the well handicapped Holywell. Now racing off a mark of 150 many thought she was handicapped to the hilt but she ran out an easy winner over the national fences in the Topham chase back over 2m 6f. Although this term hasnt went to plan beaten in all of her starts but running well over a trip that she might be truely stay. Starting off in Ireland she was soundly beaten finishing 5th beaten a long long way. She ran better when just getting outstayed by the improving Sam Winner although she was not helped by the bypassing off multiply fences. Coming into her prep Nicky Henderson said there is improvement left for cheltenham and ran really well getting beat off Balder Succes. Being such a good jumper should help her at cheltenham and with the 7pound allowance she will receive i think she has a good chance of running into a place.

Advised - 10/1 E.W

Thanks Peter..

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:43 pm
Selling plater

Post Re: Anti Post - Ryanair
Got my eye on Don Cossack too. I just see a lot of potential here.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:57 pm
Group 2 winner

I'm not to keen on him, think his wins have come against unfit rivals bar champagne Fever. Plus he fell at the festival last year which might count against him.

Sun Feb 22, 2015 4:09 pm
Group 2 winner

Cue Card out, champagne fever more than likely going for champion chase. Race cutting up abit.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:12 am
Handicapper

PeterS94 wrote:
Cue Card out, champagne fever more than likely going for champion chase. Race cutting up abit.

And others.

Tue Mar 03, 2015 1:07 pm
Handicapper

The worry with balder success is that it's been to Cheltenham three times and is yet to complete. Would have to be a major worry. Problem is the class horses are all pulling out so makes it a hard race

Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:29 pm
Group 2 winner

Im not so worried about the cheltenham thing, hes a better horse now and he only fell last day because of the low sun, he would have won..

Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]