View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Books on betting on Hose Racing 
Handicapper

Post Books on betting on Hose Racing
Anybody recommend any good books on Horse Racing (Betting)

Ive got 2 books which I bought in the 90s by David Duncan called "Winning Horse Racing Formula" & "The Complete Manual of Racing and Betting Systems". I found them great at the time and they introduced me to systems such as a complete understanding of the layers(Bookmakers) book/Over-round and making my own backers book which is sometimes nice in big handicaps.

It has a nice system for backing favourites called the Revers Labouchere system, taken from the Roulette world. But I now feel the need to delve deeper :)

I seen this Link and was wondering has anybody (PJ) :), read or owned or recommend any of these from the link?
Some are very very expensive on Amazon.co.uk

1 Exotic Betting by Steve Crist
2 Money Secrets at the Racetrack by Barry Meadow
3 Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer
4 The Handicapper’s Condition Book by James Quinn
5 Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz
6 The Best of Thoroughbred Handicapping by James Quinn

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:10 am
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Books on betting on Hose Racing
Bermenstein wrote:
Anybody recommend any good books on Horse Racing (Betting)

Ive got 2 books which I bought in the 90s by David Duncan called "Winning Horse Racing Formula" & "The Complete Manual of Racing and Betting Systems". I found them great at the time and they introduced me to systems such as a complete understanding of the layers(Bookmakers) book/Over-round and making my own backers book which is sometimes nice in big handicaps.

It has a nice system for backing favourites called the Revers Labouchere system, taken from the Roulette world. But I now feel the need to delve deeper :)

I seen this Link and was wondering has anybody (PJ) :), read or owned or recommend any of these from the link?
Some are very very expensive on Amazon.co.uk

1 Exotic Betting by Steve Crist
2 Money Secrets at the Racetrack by Barry Meadow
3 Modern Pace Handicapping by Tom Brohamer
4 The Handicapper’s Condition Book by James Quinn
5 Betting Thoroughbreds for the 21st Century by Steve Davidowitz
6 The Best of Thoroughbred Handicapping by James Quinn

Hi Buddy no never read any of theses My Best betting system/formula are my eyes but even they can deceive you at times
I am not sure many if any Betting systems ever really work have you had any luck using them
some of them cost £100s I sometimes back horses at opening prices ones i suspect are going to be market movers
then lay off when the price comes in but thats rare im more of a long game player based on pedigrees

Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:19 am
Profile WWW
Selling plater

Post Re: Books on betting on Hose Racing
Sorry for bumping but I think this is important. I have all these books except for Barry Meadows. This is only because Barry's books tend to be quite rare. He is an extremely good writer and wrote one of the finest works on trotters, a self published manuscript that retailed for $200 and worth every penny. My suggestion is to buy Quinn's best of handicapping. It contains summaries of every other book listed. This way you can evaluate several ideas and decide which one to focus on next. At the very least you will be informed with lots of new ways of thinking about the game. And best of all Quinn's books can be downloaded for a very reasonable price. All of the books focus on theory and concept more than system. All of them lead to better understanding of the sport. The only odd one is Crist's exotic betting which focuses more on money management and betting market flaws. It does not consider handicapping.

Best of luck!

Mike

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]