View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:41 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Grand National 2016 
Handicapper

Post Grand National 2016
Hello all,
You're probably thinking I'm mad for thinking about the Grand National when the jumps season has only just begun and it's nearly five months away, but I've made up my potential selections for the great race.

1) Whats Happening (T. George)
From the stable of the runner-up in 2015, Saint Are, they look to have another good chance in Whats Happening. Having shown useful and consistent form around 3 miles, he put in a career best on his last start at Cheltenham over 3 miles and 1 furlong. The manner of his win struck me as a National contender though. At the last fence, he was in 6th but powered up the hill to win quite comfortably. It's worth noting that Phil Smith, Handicaper for the National, said that this is a horse to look out for.

2)Kruzhlinin (P.Hobbs)
I gave this horse a good mention for the race in 2015, but missed the race due to a setback. Tenth in the race in 2014, he wasn't disgraced for a horse of 7 years old at the time. He looks to be aimed once more at Aintree after a light season. Has since moved yards after a high profile split from the owners and Donald McCain.

3) Operating (G. Elliott, Ire)
This horse was given a favourable mention which caught my eye. Gordon Elliott, winning trainer in 2007, said that Operating could be their main National horse. He hasn't been on the racecourse since May 2014 due to issues, but the last run was a winning one at Punchestown, beating subsequent Galway Plate winner Road to Riches. He slowly got his act together over fences and could have a big season.

4) On The Fringe (E. Bolger, Ire)
Normally, it's worth taking Foxhunters chase form with a bit of salt in relation to regulation racing form, but On The Fringe was dominant in that sphere last season. Winning the big Cheltenham race by 19 lengths, he went to Aintree and sluiced up. He jumped beautifully over the fences and looked real value for the winning distance, looking like he could go around again. If connections are tempted by the challenge, the horse has a massive chance.

5) Heathfield (T. Martin, Ire)
Another McManus-owned horse with a good chance if lining up. He had a good first season over fences, progressing well over the winter and winning a race at Punchestown that I see as Grand National rehearsal race over 3 miles and 6 furlongs. Well backed, he travelled well all the way through the race and showed a likeable amount of stamina to win easily. All of his form has been on a softer surface, so unless the ground is slow in April, he will have to prove he's as good on quicker ground but interesting nonetheless.

6) Perfect Promise (J. Mangan, Ire)
Trained by 2003 winning trainer Jimmy Mangan, Perfect Promise could follow up. She is a mare that jumps really well for one so young. She rarely makes mistakes, although last time she fell. The horse's good jumping is a positive for a Grand National horse and if she takes her place, she could have a good spin. The negative is her age, the race may come a year too early.

7) Unioniste (P. Nicholls)
He has been for what feels like an age, but he is still fairly lightly race over jumps. He is a tough horse, as he showed when winning the Paddy Power Gold Cup in 2012 as a 4 year old, an impressive feat. He fell in the race last year, but that was an early stage and he could be aimed at the race once more. He has always shown top class form around Graded races despite not winning and he has always been as a National horse. He is a relation of My Will, the third placed horse in 2009.

8 ) Goonyella (J. Dreaper, Ire.)
A horse who stays all day. I always assumed that he was a deep ground loving horse, but he showed he was capable of good runs on quick surfaces in the Scottish National when finishing 2nd, beaten a neck. He is definitely being aimed at Aintree by his trainer and he is a guaranteed stayer. One of the current favourites and should be right there.

Thank you for your time, it's a lot to read so I appreciate it and I would enjoy other people's thoughts.

:)

Fri Nov 06, 2015 2:13 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Grand National 2016
Hysteria21 wrote:
Hello all,
You're probably thinking I'm mad for thinking about the Grand National when the jumps season has only just begun and it's nearly five months away, but I've made up my potential selections for the great race.

1) Whats Happening (T. George)
From the stable of the runner-up in 2015, Saint Are, they look to have another good chance in Whats Happening. Having shown useful and consistent form around 3 miles, he put in a career best on his last start at Cheltenham over 3 miles and 1 furlong. The manner of his win struck me as a National contender though. At the last fence, he was in 6th but powered up the hill to win quite comfortably. It's worth noting that Phil Smith, Handicaper for the National, said that this is a horse to look out for.

2)Kruzhlinin (P.Hobbs)
I gave this horse a good mention for the race in 2015, but missed the race due to a setback. Tenth in the race in 2014, he wasn't disgraced for a horse of 7 years old at the time. He looks to be aimed once more at Aintree after a light season. Has since moved yards after a high profile split from the owners and Donald McCain.

3) Operating (G. Elliott, Ire)
This horse was given a favourable mention which caught my eye. Gordon Elliott, winning trainer in 2007, said that Operating could be their main National horse. He hasn't been on the racecourse since May 2014 due to issues, but the last run was a winning one at Punchestown, beating subsequent Galway Plate winner Road to Riches. He slowly got his act together over fences and could have a big season.

4) On The Fringe (E. Bolger, Ire)
Normally, it's worth taking Foxhunters chase form with a bit of salt in relation to regulation racing form, but On The Fringe was dominant in that sphere last season. Winning the big Cheltenham race by 19 lengths, he went to Aintree and sluiced up. He jumped beautifully over the fences and looked real value for the winning distance, looking like he could go around again. If connections are tempted by the challenge, the horse has a massive chance.

5) Heathfield (T. Martin, Ire)
Another McManus-owned horse with a good chance if lining up. He had a good first season over fences, progressing well over the winter and winning a race at Punchestown that I see as Grand National rehearsal race over 3 miles and 6 furlongs. Well backed, he travelled well all the way through the race and showed a likeable amount of stamina to win easily. All of his form has been on a softer surface, so unless the ground is slow in April, he will have to prove he's as good on quicker ground but interesting nonetheless.

6) Perfect Promise (J. Mangan, Ire)
Trained by 2003 winning trainer Jimmy Mangan, Perfect Promise could follow up. She is a mare that jumps really well for one so young. She rarely makes mistakes, although last time she fell. The horse's good jumping is a positive for a Grand National horse and if she takes her place, she could have a good spin. The negative is her age, the race may come a year too early.

7) Unioniste (P. Nicholls)
He has been for what feels like an age, but he is still fairly lightly race over jumps. He is a tough horse, as he showed when winning the Paddy Power Gold Cup in 2012 as a 4 year old, an impressive feat. He fell in the race last year, but that was an early stage and he could be aimed at the race once more. He has always shown top class form around Graded races despite not winning and he has always been as a National horse. He is a relation of My Will, the third placed horse in 2009.

8 ) Goonyella (J. Dreaper, Ire.)
A horse who stays all day. I always assumed that he was a deep ground loving horse, but he showed he was capable of good runs on quick surfaces in the Scottish National when finishing 2nd, beaten a neck. He is definitely being aimed at Aintree by his trainer and he is a guaranteed stayer. One of the current favourites and should be right there.

Thank you for your time, it's a lot to read so I appreciate it and I would enjoy other people's thoughts.

I have known goonyella would be a national horse ever since last year he is certain to stay. The others I think have certain problems.

Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:22 am
Selling plater

Hi there as regards your wise selection was just wondering if you have any news on unioniste lately as would really appreciate any updates :|

Fri Nov 27, 2015 12:01 am
Handicapper

unionrob wrote:
Hi there as regards your wise selection was just wondering if you have any news on unioniste lately as would really appreciate any updates :|

Thanks for the comment!
I tried looking for stable tour comments for Paul Nicholls' yard and there wasn't much on Unioniste other than they thought the horse had a light season which is why the National didn't work out last season. I think the aim is to run him in more races before Aintree this season. He's always been seen as a National type so this might be his year.

Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:31 pm
Selling plater

Thankyou I will await further developments and get back January unless there are further developments in mean time .Happy Christmas and king George .

Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:48 pm
Handicapper

Update on the horses I've had an antepost bet on so far in the Grand National:

1) Whats Happening:- Hasn't run since showing a strong staying performance when winning at Cheltenham in November. Was scheduled for a run in the Becher Chase, but had a setback. No entries at the moment, but is still a dark horse in the race in my opinion.

2) Kruzhlinin :- A very impressive winner on his stable debut and reappearance at Kempton last week. Made a mistake at the first fence but went through the race powerfully and won well from a good field. He'll have Richard Johnson booked as a likely rider come April and with the form of Phillip Hobbs, he looks a leading contender for England.

3) Triolo d'Alene:- Was off the track for almost a year until winning a small race at Kempton on the same day as Kruzhlinin. The form is questionable as Ptit Zig fell at the last and Wishful Thinking is an old boy now, but Triolo d'Alene was always going best of the three and was coming clear when he was left in front. That win might make him one of the top weights, but he won the Topham in 2013 and will get his favoured ground.

4) Heathfield:- He hasn't shown much in recent runs, including yesterday at Leopardstown. He was an eyecatcher in the Paddy Power Chase, usually a trial for the National. It remains to be see how he acts on quicker ground, but has stamina as his forte.

5) Gallant Oscar:- Has always been viewed as a National type and was a fast finishing third in the staying handicap at the Cheltenham Festival before bolting up at Punchestown. Wasn't seen out until the Paddy Power Chase over the Christmas period and was going well until unseating at the second last fence when looking threatening.

6) First Lieutenant:- He was quietly fancied for the race last year by shrewd punters and was well backed on raceday. He made horrible mistakes at the first two fences before never really being involved in the race. This season, he is in much better form. A third place in the Hennessey Gold Cup followed by a close second in the Lexus Chase. He has always been a classy horse and has an entry in the Gold Cup, but could easily line up in both races.

7) The Job Is Right:- A tough horse who has been in all kinds of races over the last two years and always ran with credit. Placed in the 4 mile National Hunt Chase at Cheltenham, he seems ideal for a marathon trip. He has always been staying on late over trips of 3 miles. The National isn't a confirmed target, but he has the hallmarks of the type of horse to do well in the race.

Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:32 pm
Handicapper

The weights have been announced.
I'm attracted by Katenko, Ucello Conti, Morning Assembly and Goonyella.

http://sportsnewsireland.com/racing/rac ... -the-list/

Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:32 pm
Group 1 winner

I like Mendip Express, low weight and finished 2nd in a Becher.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:54 pm
Group 2 winner

Im think the lots off last year have another good chance.

Many Clouds,The Druids Nephew, Shutthefrontdoor and Onenightinvienna are mine at this year stage.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:59 pm
Handicapper

I like the look of Long Run as well, he's very well treated on previous exploits but I didn't back him because he's had a long absence and it wasn't the plan A with him. He was supposed to go Hunting with a view for Cheltenham but he picked up a knock.

Kruzhlinin is another who is well in on a low weight. He'll go close.

Ucello Conti is a horse I feel was bought especially for this race. He's versatile on ground and was decent in France. He has been placed in the Paddy Power and Thyestes, making up late ground and I feel it's another positive that Elliott has retained Jacques Ricou as the horse's jockey as he rode him numerously in France.

There are some good entries in there, some classy horses. It all depends on final plans, but I can see the winner coming from either the top ten in the weights or any of the ten from 30-40.

It looks like a good race this year.

Tue Feb 16, 2016 11:00 pm
Group 2 winner

I like the look of O'Faolains Boy at 50/1 getting 9lbs from Many Clouds, he has a touch of class and I wonder if his failure in the gold cup trial at Cheltenham last month will persuade connections to have a go at this.

Elsewhere I also think Onenightinvienna looks a great shout at 33/1.

Of the Irish challenge at this stage I would pick out Ucello Conti at 40/1, who looks a really promising stayer and has already shown good pieces of form.

Last edited by Pricey on Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 12:01 am
Handicapper

O'Faolains Boy is one of those horse who you never know what you're going to get. He has the class (winner of the RSA, beating Smad Place) to win a race like the National and his trainer has laid out a plan for him in aiming the horse at the National, but I feel that he's too inconsistent to be encouraged. He was off the track a long time and since his return, he has only won a 4 runner conditions race and pulled up on the other runs. Going back to the RSA Chase win, if you look at the form of that race too, two horses have only come out and done well. Many Clouds and Smad Place. It was a good performance to win the RSA, but he might have been beaten in a few more strides.

From the same stable of Rebecca Curtis, I feel that she has a better chance with The Romford Pele. He has a low weight at the moment so isn't guaranteed a start, but I feel he has slipped under the radar. He has also been aimed for the National and his most recent run was encouraging, staying on into 3rd in the Cleeve Hurdle. The trainer has seen him as the ideal type.

One I've backed but haven't seen much comment on is Katenko. His form figures aren't inspiring at the moment, but I feel he has been running better than they suggest. A couple of seasons ago, he looked very good when winning at Sandown and Cheltenham. He was off the track for a while with some setbacks and his reappearance at Ascot in December was eyecatching. He was travelling well up to halfway until he made a bad mistake and never recovered from it before being pulled up. I have always felt like this horse has a big race in him, he has the ability and he has a big engine. If he gets into a good rhythm around Aintree, he could be have a big chance.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:58 pm
Group 2 winner

Hysteria21 wrote:
O'Faolains Boy is one of those horse who you never know what you're going to get. He has the class (winner of the RSA, beating Smad Place) to win a race like the National and his trainer has laid out a plan for him in aiming the horse at the National, but I feel that he's too inconsistent to be encouraged. He was off the track a long time and since his return, he has only won a 4 runner conditions race and pulled up on the other runs. Going back to the RSA Chase win, if you look at the form of that race too, two horses have only come out and done well. Many Clouds and Smad Place. It was a good performance to win the RSA, but he might have been beaten in a few more strides.

From the same stable of Rebecca Curtis, I feel that she has a better chance with The Romford Pele. He has a low weight at the moment so isn't guaranteed a start, but I feel he has slipped under the radar. He has also been aimed for the National and his most recent run was encouraging, staying on into 3rd in the Cleeve Hurdle. The trainer has seen him as the ideal type.

One I've backed but haven't seen much comment on is Katenko. His form figures aren't inspiring at the moment, but I feel he has been running better than they suggest. A couple of seasons ago, he looked very good when winning at Sandown and Cheltenham. He was off the track for a while with some setbacks and his reappearance at Ascot in December was eyecatching. He was travelling well up to halfway until he made a bad mistake and never recovered from it before being pulled up. I have always felt like this horse has a big race in him, he has the ability and he has a big engine. If he gets into a good rhythm around Aintree, he could be have a big chance.

Yes obviously O'Faolains Boy comes with risks, but then that's why he's 50/1. I still believe he has got a big race in him and he is better on decent spring ground. The national over recent years has started to favour the more classier types rather than plodding handicappers.

Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:45 pm
Handicapper

Is it weird I think Third Intention has a good chance? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:15 pm
Group 2 winner

Yeah he dont stay 3m does he ha ha

Tue Mar 08, 2016 3:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next