View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 USA Visit 
Group 2 winner

Post USA Visit
Hi to all of the American nationals on here, I know Mike & Sirius from the league but obviously there's more.
I am crossing the pond on Saturday to visit my relatives and I may visit a racetrack for the experience. I am staying in southern Illinois, fairly close to St Louis, and I believe the closest track is Fairmont Park which is 35-40 miles away from where I am staying.
Has anybody visited this track or are there others in the vicinity and have you any recommendations.
Many Thanks
Darren

P.S. We will also be stopping over for 3 nights in New York on the way home but racing will not be on the agenda there.

Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:34 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: USA Visit
Never been to Fairmont but have watched the simulcast of races. The dirt encrusted old wooden fence running along the backstretch of Fairmont is a real beauty. The racing is very cheap. The announcer (if he is still there) says "Harses" instead of "Horses" when he calls races. On TV the place looks like a dump but if it's your home track it's your special dump I guess.

Have fun in the US!

Beware of bullets... :cry:

Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:37 pm
Group 1 winner

SiriusChill wrote:
Never been to Fairmont but have watched the simulcast of races. The dirt encrusted old wooden fence running along the backstretch of Fairmont is a real beauty. The racing is very cheap. The announcer (if he is still there) says "Harses" instead of "Horses" when he calls races. On TV the place looks like a dump but if it's your home track it's your special dump I guess.

Have fun in the US!

Sirius USA looks like a brilliant Country to Visit but I must say I wouldn't want to live with people going around carrying guns.

Gray

Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:04 am
Profile YIM WWW
Group 2 winner

SiriusChill wrote:

Have fun in the US!

Thank you for that Sirius, if I make it there I will let you know what it's like.
I must admit I am a bit like Grayham, I have visited a couple of times before but the thought that anyone could be carrying a gun is scary and unsettling, will just try to put it to the back of my mind.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:32 pm
Group 1 winner

Fairmount Park is actually a pretty nice track (look up Thunder Ridge if you want a really bad track... Yikes!). It is one of the older tracks and gets a really good atmosphere of people there. Kinda small, but not a bad track. I'd love to go one day, it is one track I enjoy betting.
I'd say visit Arlington or Hawthorne, although they may be too far from where you are. Both are nice (although Arlington is farrrr nicer than Hawthorne).

Enjoy! Don't worry, not everyone has a gun where you are going. If you were in Chicago or in the deep south, yikes. Southern Illinois is a lot less.

Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]