View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Cheltenham Gold Cup 2017 
Group 3 winner

Post Cheltenham Gold Cup 2017
The festival is approaching fast and I was wondering who you fancy to win the Gold Cup this year. If you could vote with your heart and not your mind, who do you want to win?

In danger of jinxing it, because horses are pulled out of the race left, right and centre, I almost don't want to mention who I fancy for the race. :lol:

But seriously, I am a massive Thistlecrack fan, and I was so disappointed that he will not run. Hopefully he will be back next year.

With Thistlecrack out, my hopes is with Native River. i have read that River is a horse that people either love or loathe, even though I don't know why that is. But for me, my heart goes to Native River this time. (Assuming that he stays fit the next week and a half :D )

Who do you fancy?

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:40 pm
Handicapper

Post Re: Cheltenham Gold Cup 2017
My head says Native River as he has shown the best form leading up to the gold Cup but my heart is with Cue Card,his age statistically is against him but if he was a couple years younger he would be odds on favourite.

Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:57 pm
Handicapper

Fully prepared to look daft, but I'm not a fan of how Native River's form has stacked up. I know he's won Graded races carrying top weight, but how many horses he's beat this season have gone on to do much else? Bristol De Mai wasn't right on the day and Le Mercurey got turned over yesterday. Carole's Destrier, Double Ross, Hadrian's Approach are not the strongest indicators. Blaklion needed a wind op and didn't run to form. I'm not sure the Welsh National form is worth anything.

I'd love Cue Card to win, and I don't care about his age. Paddy Brennan wasn't happy with him from a long way out in the King George and he clearly didn't run to form when beaten by Irish Cavalier. I'm not sure what his Ascot and Haydock wins are worth, but I wouldn't be discounting him if the ground is soft.

That leaves Djakadam. The Irish are convinced his time has come. He probably does deserve to head the market, so there's probably a bit of juice in his price (9/2 in some places). He's the most likely winner out of the top three.

Personally, I think the winner could come from one of Gordon Elliott's horses. I'd probably bet Outlander as long as his price is still an each way shot.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:22 pm
Group 3 winner

That was a great review, Degaussed. Well reflected. That may well be why Native River is not popular in every camp, some people may think he is a bit hyped.

Anyway. It is an open race and it will be exciting to see who wins.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:15 pm
Group 1 winner

Outlander is the value at the moment

Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:28 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

Personally don't think Outlander will stay, he won a very slowly run Lexus last time an dont think he has the class. Djakadam is another im not really in love with, they probably should make more use of him but think it would be a mistake against Native River. Cue Card has been hit and miss this year and is getting no younger.

My pick is Native River, I've been really impressed with him, his jumping has really improved and think he'll make all and out stay them all.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:51 pm
Handicapper

Shame Many Clouds isn't with us anymore as I don't think there's a runner in this field that could touch him.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:38 pm
Group 3 winner

Yes, Many Clouds was a hero. It is interesting to hear everyones thoughts. Will be very exciting to see how the race pans out. Still hoping for Native River.

Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 am
Group 2 winner

Degaussed wrote:
Shame Many Clouds isn't with us anymore as I don't think there's a runner in this field that could touch him.

I agree, his performance on trials day was his best effort IMO, the wind op last summer definitely improved him and he'd have been a big player. Especially if Native river made it a real stamina test from the front. Such a shame he is no longer with us... :(

Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 am
Group 2 winner

I think for the first time in probably 25+ years I will not be having a bet in the race.
I keep looking at it and keep coming to the same 3 conclusions:

1: Cue Card is too old
2: The ground is too quick for Djackadam
3: None of the others are good enough

Obviously something is going to win but I'm damned if I know what it will be!

If it was soft ground and at Haydock I'd go with Bristol De Mai or if I thought Jonjo could wave his magic wand I'd go with More Of That but I think I'm going to admit defeat and not bet.

P.S. My heart says Cue Card.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:40 pm
Group 3 winner

Well, reflected, Pommard. We will get the answer in about two hours. Exciting.

Fri Mar 17, 2017 2:52 pm
Group 1 winner

Well done to Sizing John i honestly thought he would not stay
Well done to Jess I know her daughter Kate so im delighted for them

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:29 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]