View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Derby 
Handicapper

Post The Derby
Having watched the derby a couple of times and watching the body language of the winning jockey I can't decide if the jockey can't believe his won or is thinking sh*t I'm in trouble I've just beaten our favourite.

Last edited by Gaz on Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 10:20 am
Handicapper

Post Re: The Derby
I have my doubts with regards the form of the race. It felt as though the race fell apart after the pace the leaders went early on and the colt with the most stamina got lucky on the day; to the point where I'm uncertain whether or not the winner will be victorious again, certainly at this level. Which isn't what you want having just watched the Epsom Derby. I personally think the ones to take out of the race finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th - particularly the 5th who was last most of the way.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:10 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Always looked a well below par Derby beforehand but Wings of Eagles was very eye catching at Chester watch the race
again he was asked to do nothing and finished so well in the Vase id say he is a classy stayer they felt they
had to test the stamina of the Frankels and hoped Cliffs would have more stamina than Cracksman who ran a cracker
but Wings had plenty left and went by them he will be a tough horse to market as a stallion even his father is now
a national hunt sire but can see him winning an Irish Derby the Curragh would suit him and if he was allowed to run
in the Leger he would take alot of beating think it will go down as a poor Derby though but you cant have superstars
every year .

Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
Handicapper

Wings Of Eagles looks a good thing for the Leger, staying on right to the line.
Cracksman ran a blinder, Frankie was pushing along on him pretty much the whole way, clearly still very inexperienced and could still have alot of improvement in him.
Cliffs Of Moher another that ran a creditable race, lost alot of ground running downhil and around Tattenham Corner, should prove the best of these over 1m 2f.

A couple of eyecatchers that i liked....

CAPRI - ground was too quick, but made nice headway round tattenham corner and looked a real danger until fading with 2f to go, he went too early and was very wide throughout the race, could be worth a bet over 1m 2f.

SALOUEN - Was making smooth headway in the home straight until he was checked, clipped heels, recovered to stay on again to then get checked yet again, looks like he was appreciating the 1m 4f trip, and the handicap at Royal Ascot could be a shout with.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 pm
Handicapper

I don't know if Juddmonte Farms are thinking about it, but I thought of the St Leger after Enable won the Oaks on Friday. And I don't know about any one else, but I feel the Derby winner would struggle to get by her. Let's face it, Wings of Eagles was well down the Ballydoyle pecking order on the day so I doubt he is the type to now dominate the three-year-old middles distance/staying division.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

I generally agree with the previous comments, with the exception of the Leger I cannot see the winner winning another race at the top level. It would not be the greatest shock to see him in next years gold cup. I would be amazed if he ever beat the 2nd or 3rd again and would also back the 4th against him.
Cliffs looks like a 10f horse as he came to win but faltered and Cracksman still looked green.
Of the others Salouen was the only real hard luck story and he may not of finished that far away. I also thought Douglas Maccarthur kept on remarkably well considering how fast he went. He could rate a lot better than the bare form but he might have had the sort of hard race that completely finishes a horse.
On a positive note I did the 3rd and 4th each way and made enough profit to buy a pint lol.

Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]