View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Cheltenham 2018 
Group 2 winner

Post Re: Cheltenham 2018
Not cheltenhamn related by bryony frost riding frodon ahead of sam twiston davies is definitly a blow to him. Im all for loyalty but you use your best jockey. Which is Sam. Writing on the wall for him..

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:34 pm
Selling plater

Peter Sam is a pretty poor jockey at best so why not try and use a better person for the job?

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:16 pm
Group 2 winner

Theres no way byrony frost is a better than sam. We'll see how good she is when her claim runs out. How many people will use her then..

Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:12 pm
Handicapper

PeterS94 wrote:
Not cheltenhamn related by bryony frost riding frodon ahead of sam twiston davies is definitly a blow to him. Im all for loyalty but you use your best jockey. Which is Sam. Writing on the wall for him..

This weekend, Sam is going to Haydock to ride Blaklion, who he will ride in the National.
Frodon will be Sam's ride in the Ryanair.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:51 pm
Selling plater

And neither one will win any of those races, Not with him aboard anyway!!

Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:52 pm
Group 1 winner

PeterS94 wrote:
Theres no way byrony frost is a better than sam. We'll see how good she is when her claim runs out. How many people will use her then..

Her claim only counts in handicaps she gave a great ride yesterday on Black Corton where
the claim did not count she is a fine jock

Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:43 am
Profile WWW
Handicapper

legendary wrote:
And neither one will win any of those races, Not with him aboard anyway!!

Blaklion won't win because he'll have 9lbs more in the National than last year, when he didn't stay anyway.

Frodon won't win because he's not good enough.

Nothing to do with STD.

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:58 pm
Group 2 winner

Delighted with our boy Elgin's progress this season and we are left with no choice but to supplement him for the Champion Hurdle now, the original plan of the County is out the window after his win just over a week ago, he beat a solid 156 horse giving him weight and fully deserves his new mark of 161.

I don't expect him to win, but take out the favourite and its wide open, I'd be delighted if he could sneak a place and he's more than capable of that. I was comparing photo's of him from last years stable visit to this year, he's strengthened and filled out so much and continues to improve. Alan King has been patient with him and its paid off handsomely, the way he now seems to cruise through his races as the pace quickens can only stand him in good stead come the big one.

Whatever happens he's given us a lot of fun with his wins in the Greatwood and Kingwell Hurdles this season, we keep dreaming!

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:45 am
Group 2 winner

Totally agree with you hes got to take his chance. Backed him all season baring at chepstow, would have to have a small e.w bet on him. Good luck

Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:05 pm
Group 2 winner

Quick question after the first, is Ruby fit?
He got tanked with there or does Getabird usually run with the choke out?

Tue Mar 13, 2018 2:43 pm
Group 2 winner

A few notes about day 1:

First of all that ground was NOT heavy. Yes it was soft and softer than it has been at the start of the festival for 20+ years (not difficult) but to call it heavy was an insult to the intelligence (it always rides quicker than they call it). Just watch some old Cheltenham footage from the 70's and 80's or even compare it to Chepstow for the Welsh National and there is no comparison.

Champion Hurdle: I was slightly underwhelmed with the race, Buveur D'Air traveled well and proved he could really battle but I expected him to win a little easier than that in an average renewal and the time was nothing special. He did race more prominently than the placed horses so that may account for it.
Faugheen is obviously not the horse of old. I am surprised they are talking about stepping him up in trip (may well suit) rather than an honorable retirement.
As for the extremely talented Yorkhill he has been wrecked by the connections and the Wylie's need to take him home, chuck him in a field for 6 months and send him to a little trainer with a small team (try Amy Murphy) and hope that that gets the spark back. It may be too late now though.

Arkle Chase: Footpad was a high class winner of a good renewal but the second probably hated the ground and the 3rd and 4th went off far too quick. It will be interesting to see if they go down the Tingle Creek or King George route early next season. He should win a lot more grade 1's but as a note of caution he has never won a race where "good" has featured in the ground description so may well be worth taking on when that happens. The 3rd could be very interesting in top 2 mile races on a quicker surface as he hung on well considering how fast he went.

Supreme Novices: Probably a below par renewal but always difficult to tell at this early stage. The winner did exceptionally well considering the late mistakes but the race was run to suit and I think he may be very ground dependent. He will win more winter races but that was probably his Cheltenham day in the sun. The runner up could make a cracking chaser and I wouldn't give up on Getabird as he obviously was far too free.

The mares race was a little disappointing as Apples Jade appeared below par and the runner up holds the form down.
The 4 miler had a great finish and the first 2 both looked like future National horses but I wouldn't want to see either run again this season as that was quite grueling and it could finish them off.

Congratulations to Lizzie Kelly, I'm sure she will win more at the festival, and I missed the last but apparently Brian Hughes rode a stormer.

Finally, even at this late hour I will be surprised to see both Altior and Douvan turn up today.

Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am
Group 2 winner

Day 2 review:

Champion Chase: A hot renewal won by what I believe to be the best horse in training although it didn't look like it for most of the race. Altior was never travelling at any point but he always finishes his races incredibly well, he appears to be going quicker passing the finishing post than at any other time during the race. The form of his supreme win 2 years ago suggests he would win the Champion Hurdle as well. I hope they are bold with him and try stepping him up in trip, he could even be a Gold Cup horse. Min was unfortunate as he showed a level of form that would win a lot of Champion Chases and quickened from 2 out himself. Douvan was travelling really strongly but he had been quite free for the conditions and it may or may not have told in the end but the engine is obviously still strong. However that is the second successive race when his jumping has failed when the pressure has been on and maybe a return to hurdles would suit.

RSA Chase: Presenting Percy was an impressive winner and looks a Gold Cup contender however his pre-race form whilst solid was not spectacular and I think the home defense was pretty weak this year so I will not get carried away until he returns to open company.

Ballymore Hurdle: Samcro was a good winner and looks a great prospect but I almost feel sorry for the horse because he has such a ridiculous amount of hype attached to him that is was almost disappointing not to see him win 10 lengths hard on the bridle. He might have had a real battle on his hands as well if the second could jump.

Other quick points:
Tiger Roll must be just about the most versatile jumps horse in training and a joy to own. Despite his rather diminutive stature he must have a chance in the National the way the fences are built now.
I hope Ruby's injury is not too bad but I do wonder if we will ever see him again. He has been one of the best ever but has had a lot of bad injuries and must be nearing the end.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:15 pm
Group 2 winner

Some good observations there Darren that are difficult to argue with.

Personally I am just not feeling it at all this year and feel it has been a disappointing festival so far. Don't know whether it is just me looking back through rose tinted glasses or talking through my pocket but not sure many of this years winners will compare well with the greats in years to come.

Altior is obviously a class act and never looked like winning at any point until the last so that says a lot. Presenting Percy does have the look of a future Gold Cup winner but as you say lets see what he does next before we get carried away.

I tend to agree with you on the Ruby Walsh thing. He will be persuaded to retire I think.

e-mail: martinleedham@yahoo.co.uk

Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Dont think the lad on Sam Spinner gave him a good ride he should have turned the whick up
alot sooner instead he let about 12 horses swamp him some his main rivals and when he did push the
button it was too late if you are going to front run you need to gradually increase the pace and commit to home
going round the final bend. I hate been critical but i think thats the worse ride so far this cheltenham.

Barcardys was full of running too. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:14 pm
Profile WWW
Group 2 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
Dont think the lad on Sam Spinner gave him a good ride he should have turned the whick up
alot sooner instead he let about 12 horses swamp him some his main rivals and when he did push the
button it was too late if you are going to front run you need to gradually increase the pace and commit to home
going round the final bend. I hate been critical but i think thats the worse ride so far this cheltenham.

Barcardys was full of running too. grrrrrrrrrrrrr

Totally agree, will post my little review later.

Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next