View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 pm

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Opinions on the Gold Cup 
Group 1 winner

Post Opinions on the Gold Cup
No arguments please but I'd love to hear some of your opinions on the Gold Cup.

All credit, respect and congratulations to those involved with Synchronized, it was a fantastic win. But I'm left feeling like it turned into a very poor race... I can't accept that Synchronized is a true Grade 1 horse, he can win a slog and a race where stamina comes into play but I just can't have it. The Giant Bolster is a nice horse, but again in my eye he's a decent graded handicapper, NOT a grade 1 horse. Long Run I won't be a fan of until SWC gets off it, but he definitely didn't run up to form. Kauto obviously was feeling something and Weird Al and Diamond Harry were really disappointing. Burton Port looked like he didn't get up the hill, maybe one for next season if he stays sound. Time For Rupert ran fantastically, but again I don't think he's a true grade 1 horse, same with Midnight Chase who ran a similar race to last year where he looked like he was just going too fast all the way around.

On Kauto, I thought his coat looked a bit starey and I wouldn't have been happy with how he looked if I were PN. Similar to Zarkandar, his coat didn't look right and he just looked a bit light. I thought Long Run's coat also didn't look as good as it has on previous occasions. On the other hand Time For Rupert looked fantastic in his coat and I'm pleased he ran so well.

What does everyone else think?

Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:43 pm
Group 1 winner

Post Re: Opinions on the Gold Cup
agree - it was a weak gold cup field

Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:45 pm
Handicapper

It wasn't though it was the same type of Gold Cup that best mate won 2nd and 3rd time and what Kicking King and WOA won it just we have been spoilt since then with Exotic Dancer, Denman, Kauto, Neptune Collanges and to a lesser extent Imperial Comander that we forgot what the Gold Cups were like before that and this is what they were like a Rank Outsider finshing placed aand close up was always the indication of a bad gold cup I was taught and Sir Rembrerant, The Giant Bolster, Take A Stand were all these.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:48 pm
Group 3 winner

I agree about the winner and second Supercat, two handicappers. Long Run has went backwards since last season, he should have been beating a 11yo/12yo Kauto this year and he couldnt, after today you have to wonder if Kauto was really back to his best at Haydock and Kempton or is Long Run just a shadow of the horse won the King George and Gold Cup.

Will be a good race next year.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:52 pm
Handicapper

I think we were spoiled by last years race, which was the best quality Gold Cup that we have seen in many, many years, with not one single bad horse in the field. In fact last years race had THE 13 best staying chasers in the country, whereas this years field felt like a good handicap with a couple classy customers at best. This years renewal reminded me of the Gold Cup of the nineties where the race was dominated by good handicappers.

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 pm
Group 1 winner

Yes l agree l dont think it was a poor race. I believe the pace was a lot quicker than l first thought it looked and that shows by the flying home Sychronized. I never thought it and l was all over Long Run this year and honestly believed he would win comfortable. For the first time l will say l agree with a couple of trainers and actually Long Run has not trained on, l ignored when they said it (nicholls, Mullins, McCain) but after this l do believe he may not have regressed but has not improved either. Fair play to McCoy and l honestly think no other jockey would of got that horse round never mind win. Be interesting to see where they go now with Sync, would be surprised if he got round Aintree and next year would maybe want a bigger test than 3m 2f but maybe just shows up as defneding champ? All in all next year will be the most open Gold cup we will see for a long time

Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 pm
Group 1 winner

of course long run has regressed Mike. He wouldn't have needed to improve from last year to destroy that Gold Cup field. Definitly not the horse he was last year, so he has regressed

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:33 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
of course long run has regressed Mike. He wouldn't have needed to improve from last year to destroy that Gold Cup field. Definitly not the horse he was last year, so he has regressed

i agree with hurricane Long Run has gone way back from his best

1st and 2nd horses in gold cup are decent handicappers
i think something seriously amiss with long run he is a young horse and has ran flat all year

i was also disapointed with the run of burton port

NOVICES will clean up in gold cup next year Mullins horse a machine

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

should throw sprinter sacre in there haha

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:29 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
should throw sprinter sacre in there haha

Sprinter Sacre would have won Queen Mother this year

this years Novices will rule next year

i even amazing maybe stupidly think big bucks could get turned over by a novice next season

although the horse i have in mind might go novice chasing next season

Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:49 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

pjrhodes1970 wrote:
1st and 2nd horses in gold cup are decent handicappers

NOVICES will clean up in gold cup next year Mullins horse a machine

I would say Synchronised is a little better than a "decent handicapper". He's not an outstanding champion, in the way that Kauto Star or Denman were, but he's only run in two chases this season, both of them Grade 1, and he's won both of them fairly convincingly (especially when sweeping aside a pretty good Irish field in the Lexus Chase at Leopardstown), so I'd say he's stepped up this season to become a pretty solid Grade 1 performer. As others have said before, I think we've just been spoiled in recent years with some great horses, so it's easy to forget that you don't need to be completely outstanding to be a Grade 1 horse.

As for this season's novices coming back next year, I really hope you're right... we really need some decent staying chasers next season, although I also wouldn't rule out Long Run bouncing back (he's still young enough), and if anything Synchronised is still improving, and Burton Port has shown some promise in his two comeback races.

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:54 pm
Group 1 winner

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Bucks had a crack at it - could he win the gold cup?? stays all day, we know that much

Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:55 pm
Group 1 winner

HurricaneRun wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Big Bucks had a crack at it - could he win the gold cup?? stays all day, we know that much

good shout because i dont think Nicholls has anything else good enough

that would be a historic story big bucks 4 world hurdles 1 gold cup it would be amazing

Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:02 pm
Profile WWW
Group 1 winner

Exactly pjr - his hold on the gold cup has gone completely and i don't really see any of his current novices as having the potential. kauto stone certainly doesn't look to have anywhere near the same potential as his brother, Join Together lacks class and will be a staying handicapper, Aiteen Thirtythree seems overated - so where is his next Gold Cup contender?

Also, have the Stewarts won the Gold Cup before, or even had a contender? Looking at Big Bucks chase form he would need to improve his jumping big time and he is maybe to old to start learning to jump the larger obstacles again so maybe it is out of the question but you could definitly argue that he has the class

Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:48 pm
Group 1 winner

Big Bucks will never go chasing again

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 33 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next